m@g 3c setup - your guys input

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
hello everyone its been quite a while since i last posted here! so heres my question...

right now ive got a 2c m@g with the niteize led drop in. decent amount of light with a super long runtime which i liked ;) but ever since a church retreat i went to last month compared my 2c m@g with my friends 2d m@g led... his was so much brighter! i was thinking the whole time his was the nitize drop-in but it turned out to be the m@gled drop-in...

so that got me thinking for another light set-up that i want to do... i was thinking of using a 3c m@g as the host along with the c-tower heatsink. get a 3cell m@gled, a ROP w/ a custom length dummy spacer made from a copper tube, and the batteries to power both bulbs. 3 regular c cell batteries for the led and 2 AW protected lithium-ion c cells from LightHound....

i want to able to have the flexablilty of my new light to go from pretty bright to super bright for what ever the occasion calls for.

i've read in www.flashlightreviews.com that for some reason the 3 cell m@gled puts out more light and throws a little farther than the 4 cell for some reason, but the 4 cell oviously has more run time than the 3 cell which i dont mind much... and i can also use the same 3c m@g host for the ROP for both the lo and hi bulbs using 2 AW c cells and a spacer/dummer cell to due to the gap if i remember correctly

so i just want to kno from the pros out there if this is a sound set-up?

oringally i was thinking about using a 4 cell m@gled with 2 AW c cells along with a c cell spacer ring but scrapped the idea because i dont kno how the 4 cell led take 7.4v (2 AW 3.7v c cells) instead of 6v (4 1.5v c cells). or is it possible?

thanx in advance! :grin2:

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
Marduke -
If i decide to get the terralux EX/B whats the average runtime if i drop it in my current 2c m@g? now i just might swap out the nitze led and put it in the tailcap for lowlight applications
:EDIT: i forgot to mention would the c-tower heatsink benifit terralux EX/B emitter?

Gunner12 -
I just might forget the whole 3c m@g and go for a 4c and get the malkoff and use it as a spotter... but one question the website says that it produces 240 lumens at 1000mA, can the m@g switch handle that much current at extended periods of use (i.e. 1+hrs)? cause 1000mA is 1A right?

and for malkoff drop-in i shouldnt have a problem using FiveMegas deep head bezel thingy right? for more throw

well i guess im going to go return my 3cell m@gled at target sometime this week... :cool:

thanx again guys

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The maglite switch should have no problem handling the current. Mag85s and ROPs driver more current(at least 3 amps, yes 1000 mA is 1 amp) and heat through the switch and I don't remember any of them failing(melting, yes, but they still work).

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
Mag85s and ROPs driver more current(at least 3 amps, yes 1000 mA is 1 amp) and heat through the switch and I don't remember any of them failing(melting, yes, but they still work).

WOW thats kindda scary haha i dont kno if id feel safe if it heats that much haha :grin2:

also... looking at terralux EX/B has a HS attached to it, would the terralux led benifit from a c-tower HS if added that to the 2c m@g host or is it just fine as it is?

thanx

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I meant the ROP and Mag85 setups have been known to melt(well, more of deform then melt) some maglite switches.

Those are at least 30 watt bulbs so there is a lot of heat. The Seoul would be driven at around 3.7 watt so much less heat.

The C tower would let the terralux run cooler. There doesn't seem to be too much metal on the terralux drop-in.

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
after looking into getting the terralux tle-6ex/b (a SSC P4 led?) i saw theres another one called the tltle6ex (a K2 led)... i dont really kno the advantages between the two but from what i can gather is that the K2 led is more resistance to heat. meaning that it can still run at the same brightness even if it heats up a little bit... am i correct?

but i cant find any runtime/lumen ratings for the both of them with 2c cells just 3+ cells in c/d format. as this is going into my 2c m@g after i get my HS from Download

thanks

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 4C maglite with the Malkoff drop in. The 4C is nice because you can go with 4x1.2v LSD NiMH C cells and get 4.8v that will give you the full 1000ma drive current. The 4C is a nice size and weight too.

Malkoff makes a 4,5,6, C dropin that has a top end of 9 volts that would be fun in a 2C with exotic batteries.

Check out this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/186018

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get 2x Emoli cells. These are high perofmrance "safe" LiIon cells that are 1.5x longer than ordinary C-cells, and will fit nicely inside a 3C. With that, you can either run ROP for 40 minutes, and store a Terralux (4-6 cell version) in the tailcap, with no need to swap out batteries.

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
yeah i read something about that some new cells awhile back but they were called A123 cells heres some links
http://www.hackaday.com/2007/09/05/a123-liion-battery-pseudo-extra/
http://www.killacycle.com/

originally i was thinking of using the AW C cells for the my 4c m@g with the malkoff dropin ... unless the Emoli or A123 cells are better...

as for the 3c m@g im just going to run that with either alkalines or NiMH since i can find those everywhere. but i dont kno which terralux drop-in im going to use, which is better the K2 or the SSC P4 led? and my Niteize drop-in is going in the tailcap if i need SUPER LONG RUNTIME :twothumbs

thanks for all input so far guys!

Cydonia

Enlightened
I've got a somewhat rare setup I think ;) 4C m*g, with Downloads MagCTower, A UCL glass lens, with the 3 cell MagLED, (upgraded to new SSC P4 LED), a dummy battery spacer so the 4C uses 3 cells... so that I can use 4 NiMh or NiCd possible and overdrive the 3 cell MagLED slightly (using the brightest MagLED version of them all... 25% more than the 2 cell, 10% more than the 4 cell).I get to keep the m*g focus ability... and store a Nite ize in the tail cap to swap over for long run time emergency light. So I've got 2 m*g 4C's set up this way and I think they're just what I've always been looking for :grin2: really like the options and configurations possible.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The malkoffdevice would probably fry at above 14v, so 4 Li-ion batteryie would not be recommended. 3 Li-ion batteries would work with the 4-6 cell version.

The Seoul is still more efficient then the K2 LEDs(yes even the new ones it seems, 200 lumen at 1.5 amp vs 200 lumen at 1 amp). Either one would be fine though.