Education

eddie1681

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this hobby. Can someone kindly explain the difference between Cree P4, Xenon, Luxeon

I did search on Yahoo and Google, but nothing really comes up other then stores trying to sell the lights.

I would like to hear it from the ones that are really into this type of products

Thanks

Ed

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have two types of lights...for the most part...LED's and incan.'s. An LED is an LED...you just have different "models"...Luxeon, Rebel, Cree, Seoul, etc. With the Incans, there based more on the different "builds" of the lights, and not manufacturer/method. The incan "types" are based mostly off of the gas the bulbs are filled with (some gases burn brighter than others) "Xenon Gas", "Krypton Gas", "Halogen Gas", etc., with these being further broken down by "body" styles of the bulbs (Pin, screw, PR Flanged, etc.) Hope this gets ya started, but check out the welcome mat for more..and Welcome!

:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
:welcome:

The Welcome Mat, although long, will clear up a lot of terms and ling that you will be seeing. The Bin codes thread might also help.

The LEDs

Simply put, the current gen LEDs are at least twice as efficient as the previous gen LEDs. That means for the same power, the current gen LEDs will put out at least twice the output of the previous gen LEDs.

Common current gen LEDs:
Cree XR-E (P4-R2 bin)
Seoul P4 (U-bin)
Luxeon Rebel (8-0 and 100 bin)

Previous gen LEDs:
Luxeon I
Luxeon III
Luxeon V
Luxeon K2