Please help with a Wolf-Eyes lego.

Kraid

Enlightened
I want to buy a Sniper (1x 18650 or 2x RCR123As right?) to use with a Q5 Led module. Plus a(n) extender(s) to run a Lumens Facotry E0-9 380 lumens (9V) with (2x 18650s). Does this make sense? What extenders and how many do I need to make this work.

Edit: Should/could I just use 2x RCR123As to run the E0-9? Run time is not an issue.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
2x R123 Li-Ions are not nearly powerful enough to run an EO-9. This LA demands 2A, and the R123s should not be pushed beyond 1.2A. Even a HO-9 (1.5A) is too much for them, and will shorten their life. The beam will be disppointing too - the cell voltage will sag too much to keep it white and it will appear very yellow.

The SR-9 would be a better bet for 2x R123s if you want the incan option, or your proposed LED module will probably be OK with them (depending on its specs).

The EO-9 will run very well with 2x 18650s and the long (1x18650 size) WE extender.

I'll leave this thread here in the LED section, as you may want some input about your LED module.

DM51

Flashaholic
That is the correct extender.

I don't know the WE Q5, so someone else will have to help you with that. If it is OK for 8.4V, it will run on 2x R123s or 2x 18650s - the maximum voltage it can take will be the determining factor.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just get the 3 cell body and the Q5 that runs up to 13v

You can then use the shorter WE batteries and not bother taking things apart and adding extenders.

I ran the LF lamps in a PILA GL3 (old style) that is the same light as the Wolf Eyes and never had a problem

Kraid

Enlightened
That is the correct extender.

I don't know the WE Q5, so someone else will have to help you with that. If it is OK for 8.4V, it will run on 2x R123s or 2x 18650s - the maximum voltage it can take will be the determining factor.

Will I need to add wire to make an electrical connection? And wondering if it'd take RCR123As is basically what I was getting at.

Kraid

Enlightened
Why not just get the 3 cell body and the Q5 that runs up to 13v

You can then use the shorter WE batteries and not bother taking things apart and adding extenders.

I ran the LF lamps in a PILA GL3 (old style) that is the same light as the Wolf Eyes and never had a problem

I want the pocketablitly of the Sniper with the Q5 and 1x 18650. The fact that these lights can be customized with different extenders, battery options and lamps is what appeals to me. I desire to use 18650s and to not own a single 18500.

Kraid

Enlightened
Here is a link that you might have a look at

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173449

and here another with the beam shot for the Sniper+extender with the EO9.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173535

as for the Q5 LED why not grab a Raider instead, using the extender won't make it any brighter just add run time.

I wasn't really interested in using the Q5 with 2x 18650s, just figured that if the answer was "yes, you can do that" then that'd also mean that I can use 2x RCR123As.

labrat

Enlightened
The Lumens Factory HO-9 works fine with two RCR123 cells, I use non-protected cells and does monitor them regularly with my Fluke both after use and after charge.
The EO-9 might be tough on the RCR123 cells.
Runtime approx. 30 min., give or take some, with the HO-9, but don't let the bulb run them all down!
Replace the cells when the light starts dimming!
If you want to use the Wolf Eyes LED drop-in, get the one for up to 13 Volts if you plan to run it on two rechargeable cells, RCR123 or 18650, and the LED will run fine with both configurations.

My "LEGO" lights for one RCR123, one 18650/two RCR123, and two 18650 cells:

They all take the D26-drop-ins.

Kraid

Enlightened
Thank you much for your help! And those are some damn sexy lights, by the way! Might I inquire as to what they are?

mdocod

Flashaholic
labrat, you won't get 30 minutes on an HO-9 on RCR123s, protection will kick in after extreme dimming at about 20-25 minutes (I've tested it). This is beyond the 2C maximum safe discharge rating for standard cobalt oxide cells. I consider it safe if used in short bursts and with frequent top off charging.

labrat

Enlightened
labrat, you won't get 30 minutes on an HO-9 on RCR123s, protection will kick in after extreme dimming at about 20-25 minutes (I've tested it). This is beyond the 2C maximum safe discharge rating for standard cobalt oxide cells. I consider it safe if used in short bursts and with frequent top off charging.

If you read my post, I do mention I use non-protected cells.

And to Kraid:

The lights all use C2-heads with an E2C-adapter.
And from top to bottom:
The bodies are Aleph 1x123, Mirage_Man 18650 split-body, and Leef C-E 2x18650 body.
The tails are Aleph standard, McTc, and Leef tails.

Start looking in B/S/T!
And have a nice time with your hobby!

DM51

Flashaholic
If you read my post, I do mention I use non-protected cells.
If that is the case, then you are really heading for trouble.

You do not appear to understand the problem. As mdocod has explained, this LA is too powerful for R123 cells. You will damage the cells, and the LA will not perform well with them anyway. If you are using unprotected cells, that damage could be more serious and there would be an increased possibility of an incident during subsequent recharging.

Kraid

Enlightened
Thanks all for your help!
Here's a pic of the final result! This is a 12V LA powered by 4x CR123As setup. To replace my crappy Ultrafire that never worked very well yo begin with and finally gave up the ghost just a few hrs before my Wolf-Eyes arrived. Much thanks to Mike@PTS as well!
0205081613.jpg

And thats my Q5 in the background.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Good to see you have found a solution. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with WE gear - it is as tough and solid as any.

Please could you resize that pic though - it is 1024 x 768 pixels, and the CPF maximum permitted is 800 x 600.