For those that know NYC, your advice please

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I will be in NYC at the end of February to beginning of March for about a week. I am planning on taking about three lights with me from my collection. Those that know the city, considering the time of year, available light at night, air quality etc. I would be mainly walking and using public transport.....can you help me pick?

ok, from smaller lights;
Fenix P2D Q5
Fenix L2D R100

1x 18650
WE Sniper EO-4 and LED tailcap
WE Defender II LED HO
Dereelight CL1H original
Electrolumens DeCree
Lumacraft D-Mini

Larger lights;

2x 18650
Leefbody D26 P91
WE Sniper D26 EO-9 and LED tailcap
WE Rattlesnake D36 EO-9L and LED tailcap
WE Thunder 3x LED

2x C Mag ROP Low
2x D Mag ROP High

What would be your suggestions?

OceanView

Enlightened
I lived in Manhattan for quite a while. I could never see myself whipping out and firing up an ROP, or even carrying around a 2D Mag out in the open. The only time I might use it is to walk across Central Park after dark--but that begs the question, why would you be walking across Central Park after dark? Do what NYers do--take a cab or the bus across the Park!

If you're talking Manhattan, there really aren't that many times to use a flashlight. Plus, there is usually so much ambient light, it's really tough to compete with all the light pollution anyway. Blackouts are rare, but if they occur, it's going to be dark (inside, that is) and you really don't need much light, so if you're going to be "packin'" I would suggest one of your smaller lights. OK, one more for back up. :laughing:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whichever one is easiest to attach to your Glock?

OceanView

Enlightened
Whichever one is easiest to attach to your Glock?
It's been about 5 years since I left NYC so unless things have radically changed recently, I felt a lot safer there than in any other big city I've been to (well, in the US, at least), even riding the subway at 2AM in the morning. Of course, don't be totally oblivious to your surroundings, but no need to be paranoid there. It's a very interesting place to visit.

Numbers

Enlightened
That's a long ride just about exactly half way around the world. I have done it twice, years ago though.
By choice I dont get into Manhattan too much anymore (used to commute 2 hours there and 2 back home every day) but I believe it's the safest it's been in 20 years.

In terms of lights to bring IMO the second paragraph of OceanViews first post is right on.

Silversurfer

Enlightened
Finally a topic I can speak about with conviction and some knowledge. I've lived in Manhattan many years.

Do not bring the fears that might prompt some to bring a Glock.

You won't need your Glock and your fears will prevent you from interacting with the locals and having fun.

Your two fenix's will do quite nicely.

They will give you peace of mind that you will be able to navigate about should there be a blackout and you can easily have both on your person as you move about the city.

And if you should somehow lose one, your wallet won't be that much lighter.

Australian vistiors I've encountered recently all seem to love New York.

Just keep your wits about you and have fun.

Last edited:

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Hi, I'm from NYC and I'll advise you to bring only a fenix light. There is absolutely no need to bring a powerful flashlight(s.) The city is very well lit and the only place where you might need a flashlight at night is in Central Park at 2AM.
Otherwise don't walk around in the city with an ROP blasting cause our cops are very paranoid with potential terror activity, if you know what I mean. If you have a concern for crime, the city is fairly safe these days, but still follow common sense like not having your SLR camera hanging on your neck in a small train station at night.

I forgot, don't bring no glocks, lol. Glocks= prison time in NYC unless your a fed with HR218.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
I grew up there but left in 1985. I would bring a super bright, 1 cell 123 light with a strobe. Something like an Olight T10 or P2D Premium or something similar. Maybe the statistics are better these days but I'm sure it's still way too easy to turn down the wrong street.

Also, watch your wallet. Violent crime may be down but the family/friends I have there say pick-pocketing is still going strong!

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not bring the fears that might prompt some to bring a Glock.

FWIW I've never been to NY but most everything I've heard about it in recent history regarding crime and safety has been positive. I threw the Glock comment out there to see if people's responses would back that up. Just letting you know that WI doesn't have any problem with NY :)

If it were me I'd bring one of the Fenixes. Probably the L2D for it's size plus a Nano charger.

Last edited:

Numbers

Enlightened
Any tourist destination should be ok. If you are coming on business, you would probably be accompanied around town and that should be ok too.

Perhaps you should not bring any lights - buy one (or more) when you get here. I presume they are cheaper than in Australia.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any tourist destination should be ok. If you are coming on business, you would probably be accompanied around town and that should be ok too.

Perhaps you should not bring any lights - buy one (or more) when you get here. I presume they are cheaper than in Australia.

Good point.......so where are there some good retail outlets in NYC for me to check out some gear......I already have a task to find a nice leather jacket for my wife (who will be working very hard in NYC as this is her work trip, while I will be the tourist)

Numbers

Enlightened
Hopefully your wifes co workers will take you to many nice places and you will get to do some "fine dining" on the company. That's the way it worked for me when I was doing a lot of international travel. It's the best way to go - personal tour guides with the company picking up the tab.

There was a recent thread with a long list stores the NY metropolitan area but I cant find it now. Try a search of your own or hopefully some one else will see this and post the link.

If appropriate, perhaps you could even order from, say, OpticsHQ (if you are interested in SF) and have a light waiting for you at her office. They are very good - ground shipping to NY takes one week.

Enjoy, only down side is you will be leaving summer for winter.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully your wifes co workers will take you to many nice places and you will get to do some "fine dining" on the company. That's the way it worked for me when I was doing a lot of international travel. It's the best way to go - personal tour guides with the company picking up the tab.

There was a recent thread with a long list stores the NY metropolitan area but I cant find it now. Try a search of your own or hopefully some one else will see this and post the link.

If appropriate, perhaps you could even order from, say, OpticsHQ (if you are interested in SF) and have a light waiting for you at her office. They are very good - ground shipping to NY takes one week.

Enjoy, only down side is you will be leaving summer for winter.

Another good point.....what's the likely temperature range in late February early March.......hope I have warm enough gear to wear.....does it rain this time of year?

residue

Newly Enlightened
Just letting you know that WI doesn't have any problem with NY :)

If it were me I'd bring one of the Fenixes. Probably the L2D for it's size plus a Nano charger.
How about those Packers? ;)

As far as the original poster, NY is very safe (as long as you're not glaring at people on the subway, carrying your wallet in your back pocket, etc.) and there's also so much light "pollution" that a flashlight really isn't necessary unless you have a specific task that requires it. Bring your smallest light for your indoor needs and you'll be more than covered.

The temperatures can vary quite a bit even during the winter. Check the forecast a few days or a week before you visit.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Another good point.....what's the likely temperature range in late February early March.......hope I have warm enough gear to wear.....does it rain this time of year?
Normal highs are in the upper 30s to low 40s, normal lows are in the mid 20s to low 30s. However, it can get into the single digits that time of year although that's rare. It can also get into the 60s if you have an exceptionally warm day. This is all in degrees F.

As for flashlights, the smaller the better. My Fenix is the only light I carry regularly. Honestly, unless power goes out, or you have to evacuate a subway train mid-tunnel, I don't see that you'll have much need for it. There just aren't many dark places here, and not enough air pollution to actually attenuate a flashlight beam. And don't worry much about crime. It's way down compared to ten or twenty years ago. Just avoid riding the subways through, or being in, certain bad neighborhoods after maybe 9 or 10 PM, although as a tourist chances are you wouldn't be going that way anyway. And speaking of subways, they're the best, fastest way to get around, especially in Manhattan. Learn the system. In fact, exploring the system isn't a bad thing for a tourist to do. I spent many hours when I was younger just riding different lines for the heck of it. You can get Metrocards good for either a day, a week, or a month which let you ride the subways and buses as much as you want. If you make several trips a day, these can you lots of money. This might be of interest: MTA Home Page.

Have fun, enjoy the sights, and come back! It's a pity you aren't coming during the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That's really when the city is at its best.

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
I was in NYC last week and id say its a far nice and safer place than london , so much so that im moving to Manhatten in 3 months time.

no need for powerfull lights as its well lit and you really wont need to use them.

Fenix is fine.

i took my NS raw and only ever used it in the hotel room

carrot

Flashaholic
Around the city and practically everywhere else I just carry my McLux PD-S. Anything with both good runtime and output will suit you fine. CR123's are everywhere, if you're willing to pay about $7-15/ea. The only foreseeable real need for a light will be in case of blackout, as you can wear shades nearly everywhere in the city (except the more rural areas) no matter what time of day.

Forget the larger lights, you won't need 'em.

You should know that the weather can be pretty harsh here. When it's cold it can get pretty bitter, but around February-March you could have some relatively warm days too. Not t-shirt weather, but warm enough for a light jacket or sweatshirt.

giggles

Newly Enlightened
Bring a powerful and reliable LED flashlight, but one that you can carry out of sight.

Also bring an INCANDESCENT weaponlight which snaps onto your gun the fastest.

And finally, bring your HK USP9 and lots of 18-rounders.

Then you are ready to go and enjoy New York SAFELY. :wave:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... What would be your suggestions?

Well, if it's one thing I know; it's my "hometowm."

He's what I usually carry when out & about.

1 - A 2xCR123 light. I have several. But often it's either my Surefire L4 or E2D, clipped to my left-front pants pocket. Used as a primary light.

2 - A keychain light. Currently a Fenix L0D Rebel 80. (But I wish I had gotten the Cree version instead). This gets used when only a bit of light is needed. Any well-made AAA keychain LED light, with long runtime, is best. A slightly bigger AA model can be carried in another pocket, instead of the AAA on a keychain. But runtime is important.

This should be fine for a week's stay. Bring a larger light to keep with you where you'll be staying at, if that makes you feel comfortable. I'd bring my Maglite 2C w/ MagLED drop-in. I have a SF M6, but would rather not take a chance on taking it too far from home.

From your list of lights:

One of the smaller lights.

One of your 1x18650 models

And perhaps one of your 2x18650 models.

I'd say, pick the ones on your list that have proven to be the most reliable in each of the above categories. That would be the best way to go. But if you do indeed have a smaller AAA or AA light that is very reliable, I'd consider bringing that too, and possibly leaving your 2x18650 lights at home.

Last edited: