Where can I buy (cheap) AA to D adapters that will work for a ROP?

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
I am going to build a ROP for someone and am trying to build it without having to spend a bunch of money on adapters and such. I read conflicting reports about whether the KD adapters, which are priced very reasonably, will work for ROP. I know 5mega makes some great adapters, but I would prefer not to spend that sort of $$ on a light I am going to give away.

Where is the best, cheapest place to buy adapters? I don't mind loosing a bit of brightness in order to save money. I just don't want to use some that will blow up or melt. :)

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that was one heck of a disaster and I got a good chuckle out of it. Yeah I use those adapters myself, but not in an ROP rig. I've used a bunch of them so far with my LED modded Mags without any problems. I too would recommend the Fivemega adapters for an ROP setup.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure you want to use CHEAP adapters?

Well, I don't know...that's why I said in my first post "I just don't want to use some that will blow up or melt." :grin2::grin2:

So is it your opinion that if I used the KD adapters you posted a link to in a ROP that they will blow up or melt?

dulridge

Enlightened
Well, I don't know...that's why I said in my first post "I just don't want to use some that will blow up or melt." :grin2::grin2:

So is it your opinion that if I used the KD adapters you posted a link to in a ROP that they will blow up or melt?

On a 2D ROP low they have not done so despite a set of freshly charged 2700AA's being run and forgotten about till they were all down to about 0.5V. Since it still has an original Mag reflector (till the (very) slow boat from China arrives) the cheap adapters will work fine in an ROP low. I've not even melted the stock Mag reflector.

Not yet tried the high bulb in this setup, but on my 6D it pulls 4.3A which might well be a bit much for them.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know how good or bad they are. No experience with them yet.

I bought 2 from Kai to use on a Elektrolumens 1D/MT-3 setup. Elektrolumens is not making the MT-3 at this time so my adapters are still in the bubble wrap packaging.

Elektrolumens stopped selling the adapters a couple of years ago.
Modamag stopped selling his version about a year ago.

Looks like you are stuck with 5mega or Kai.

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
I do not know how good or bad they are. No experience with them yet.

I bought 2 from Kai to use on a Elektrolumens 1D/MT-3 setup. Elektrolumens is not making the MT-3 at this time so my adapters are still in the bubble wrap packaging.

Elektrolumens stopped selling the adapters a couple of years ago.
Modamag stopped selling his version about a year ago.

Looks like you are stuck with 5mega or Kai.

Looks like a hint, someone could have a good number if they can produce some good battery carriers at a not bad price:)

How did the MT-3 do with the 3 AA's or did you not get one? I've got a MT-4 on way and not sure what best to put it in other than runnin it in one of my 3D's.

Rob

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a hint, someone could have a good number if they can produce some good battery carriers at a not bad price:)

How did the MT-3 do with the 3 AA's or did you not get one? I've got a MT-4 on way and not sure what best to put it in other than runnin it in one of my 3D's.

Rob
Wayne is out of the MT-3 by the time I got my 3AA to D adapters. He is reluctant to make any more as he is out of the reflectors required & most people now want the MT-4. I ordered an assembled Minimak instead.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
I'm running my ROP on kai adapters, and it has worked fine. if you look at the disaster thread, it's being overdriven at a much higher voltage than the bulb was designed.

my set is the standard 6AA to Pelican bulbs, both high and low runs fine. the only modification i had to do was adding few magnets to the tip of the adapter to make sure it had good contact.

drew2001

Newly Enlightened
I agree with above posts reflecting issues on quality vs needs.

I'll add that there is a good reason fivemega say 'patent pending' in his sales post.

His battery holders are That Good. (meaning really good)

That being said, one should not try to temp fate otherwise :eek:oo: