Novatac

Lightdude

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Novatac 120P. I really like it! The only thing I found is it kills a battery pretty fast on max setting! I used a new energizer and it still reduced at max power in about 15 mins. Is this typical of these lights on max? Thanks.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Heat also forces it to lower the max level. I run mostly rechargeables and I get about 18 minutes on what I perceive to be max before it throttles down.

-Steve

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Lightdude,
I would not consider 15 minutes of runtime at maximum output before stepping down normal for the 120P. NovaTac rates the 120P to get 30 minutes at the 120 lumen level using a good quality primary cell. I consistently get 28 minutes +/- when using a Battery Station 900 mAh RCR123 cell.

Did you have the opportunity to test the voltage of the battery before you used it? You might try a factory reset and then put in a new Duracell just for the heck of it. It's odd, but some lights like one brand of battery better than others. At the very least, do a factory reset and clean all the battery contact points before trying another runtime test with a new battery........ and if you suspect heat..... then pop it in a glass of water while doing the test..... that's what I do.

jk904jk

Banned
Howdy Lightdude,
I would not consider 15 minutes of runtime at maximum output before stepping down normal for the 120P. NovaTac rates the 120P to get 30 minutes at the 120 lumen level using a good quality primary cell. I consistently get 28 minutes +/- when using a Battery Station 900 mAh RCR123 cell.

Did you have the opportunity to test the voltage of the battery before you used it? You might try a factory reset and then put in a new Duracell just for the heck of it. It's odd, but some lights like one brand of battery better than others. At the very least, do a factory reset and clean all the battery contact points before trying another runtime test with a new battery........ and if you suspect heat..... then pop it in a glass of water while doing the test..... that's what I do.

even if the novatac was pulling 1 solid amp, something about a 28 minutes with .9 amp hours does not add up. But then again, I dont know too much about all the other factors involved.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Heat also forces it to lower the max level. I run mostly rechargeables and I get about 18 minutes on what I perceive to be max before it throttles down.

-Steve

Therefore Lightdude, if you want to see if what you're experiencing is related to thermal issues, do a run-time test in a cool glass of water and see if the same thing happens. If it does, you'll know it's not dropping down because of a heat issue.

I'm also running "900mah" BS RCR123 and getting well over 20 minutes before dimming.

Supernam

Enlightened
Probably the only thing I don't like about my Novatac is the runtime on high. Typically 36 minutes @ 120lm for a CR123. Maybe someone else can answer this, but I wonder how much current is being drawn at the tailcap and at the emitter. A Milky L1 is about 95lm for 90 minutes+. 25lm less but an hour more runtime. What's up with Novatac efficiency?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to look at is your need to run the light on HIGH.

If you think about it you would most likely realize that running the light on HIGH should be reserved for times when you really need to.

I have found that I can get 90% of what I need to do with a Novatac running the light at 50%.

You would be surprised at the runtime you get when you lower the level.
Also you will get better runtime with better batteries. try surefire primaries or get some rechargeable cells they take the sting out of using expensive primaries.
yaesumofo

scottaw

Enlightened
That's why 120lm is the facroty setting for momentary. It's not meant to be run constantly there. I keep my primary around the 22 lm setting, my secondary at 85, and i use both quite a bit....it's been about 5 weeks on a battery. And if i hold down for 120 it still fires up and doesn't dim.