L2D CE (135 lumen) vs. P3D Q5 (215 lumen)

BUZ

Enlightened
I get out and ride 15-20 miles every morning and my son has been going with me lately, I use a 675 lumen Light & Motion HID system and he's been using two L2D CE's (135 lumen models) mounted on twofish mounts. I've offered getting him a HID system however he seem to want the fenix lights guess cause they are smaller & lighter + he removes them from the bike and uses them.

My question is would two P3D Q5's be much of an improvement over two L2D's, I have a L2D Q5 and the older 135 lumen L2D seem to produce the same output.

I have looked high and low through the forum (via the search tool) and cannot find some good beams shots of the L2D CE vs a Q5 P3D. Also would AW's RCR123 (750mAh) be a good choice for the P3D Q5 if I decide to go that route?

Last edited:

Vermonter73

Enlightened
If you're thinking of the P3Ds as a gift, remember that it uses different batteries. Better set him up with 2 pairs of rechargables for each one, and a charger.

BUZ

Enlightened
Yeah am thinking about getting AW's RCR123's for them, anyone know what kid of runtimes to expect from the 750mAh if the P3D is kept in turbo mode?

Also In turbo mode the P3D shouldn't overheat with a 15 + MPH headwind should it?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try running the P3D Q5's on HIGH, rather than Turbo, to see if they put out enough light that way, and you'd get better run times, and cooler operating temps. If you are going to be riding daily you might want to pick up a pair of chargers so you can charge 4 R123's at once, especially if you might go with 4 pairs and run them all down everyday. :)

A pair of AW R123's in a P3D Q5 should run around 70-80 minutes on TURBO, and a little over 3 hours on HIGH.

Chevrofreak has some runtime charts here, the P3D Q5 runtime should be similar:

http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Fenix%20P3D/

BUZ

Enlightened
You could try running the P3D Q5's on HIGH, rather than Turbo, to see if they put out enough light that way, and you'd get better run times, and cooler operating temps. If you are going to be riding daily you might want to pick up a pair of chargers so you can charge 4 R123's at once, especially if you might go with 4 pairs and run them all down everyday. :)

A pair of AW R123's in a P3D Q5 should run around 70-80 minutes on TURBO, and a little over 3 hours on HIGH.

Chevrofreak has some runtime charts here, the P3D Q5 runtime should be similar:

http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Fenix%20P3D/

Thanks wade thats exactly the info I was lookin for! :thumbsup: On our normal route he should be able to use turbo mode (in the pitch black areas) about 50% of the time and the high mode the other half where there is a little better lighting. Altering between high and turbo settings should give him more than enough runtime however if they run out I'll just get behind him and light the way with my HID. :D

Thanks to everyone else for the gr8 replies, am ordering two P3D Q5's, two AW fast chargers & four AW RCR123 750mAh cells.

Last edited:

BUZ

Enlightened
Just came across this on a bike forum, some good beam shots however they appear not to be Q5's. The P3D's seem to have noticeably better output, the two P3D look very bright (kinda like my HID on high mode).

http://picasaweb.google.de/Ghostdriver85/LeuchtvergleichMTBNews

Single L2D CE
l2dcesy4.png

Single P3D
nonamejz2.png

Two P3D's
p3dx2tm2.png

Here are a few more I just found, L2D Q5 vs P3D Q5:

22uq0.png

nonamemg9.png

33ky5.png

Last edited: