What says "Colonial New England" to you

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
We are doing our fifth annual Sugar on Snow this year. We recreate a Colonial village with trade and artisan demonstrators as well as sugar on snow and other foods.
We still don't have a logo and I'm looking for ideas.
An anvil has been ruled out. As it doesn't give the 'home' feeling we are going for. A loom is too complex. A church steeple might turn some off. Any thoughts welcome.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I was going to say the White Church steeple, surrounded by the colors of Maple trees changing in the fall - but if you don't want a church - a grist mill or an "Inn" would be perfect for ME

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened
New England Patriots jerseys and pilgrim hats. Actually Radios suggestions sound very good. Have you considered an old time Sleigh (just a colonial time snowmobile, not very christmas looking without the bells, ribbons, Etc. Not meant as a criticism but the colonial winter treat was maple syrup with snow, cane sugar was a high priced item in those days and was usually under lock and key, or prohibited by local ministers as a sign of decadence. Honestly though the event sounds like a good time and I hope a suitable graphic can be found for its success.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Yep Maple Syrup, warmed to the 'candy' stage then ladled over snow (we did draw the line there, we use fresh snow cone 'snow'). We do have a hand-powered gristmill, a quern. :thinking: The picture you linked to Radio looks like a snowflake in the supports for the mill wheel. Trying to come up with a very simple, woodcut-like design. The mill, with a snowflake-like support for the mill wheel, and the sleigh. Possibilities :)
More ideas please. I'm fresh out at the moment :(

Physics near Sturbridge However in reality water doesn't power the carding mill at Sturbridge. They didn't have enough flow, so it has modern power turning it. Our family spent many days at OSV when we lived in CT :sigh: , They got to know us :) We do hand-carding, no mill.
SoS (Sugar on Snow) also has a hand-operated cider mill, grind them and then press them. You like cider? Try fresh pressed!
Our quern looks a little like this one

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
Like NotRegulated and LuxLuthor said the sea and lighthouses are a part of New England life as is a small town green with a wooden white church.How about a picture of Portland Head lighthouse on the rocky coast of Maine.One of my favorite places .

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
The iconic colonial image for me is the tricorner hat... but that doesn't seem very homey.

How 'bout a simple rocking chair on a porch?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I was this summer,
large.jpg

Cape Neddick Lighthouse in York Maine.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, it's a covered bridge. Might be hard to get to the site of the Sugar on Snow festival though. It sounds like a great event. I was up in northern Vermont for a week around Christmas at my niece's. I told her I wanted to buy some maple syrup right from a farmer/producer so they would get all the profit and none for any middleman. She turned me on to Grade B dark amber, for the FULL maple flavor. I've now got a second addiction in addition to flashlights. I bought three gallons. The stuff is so good. I'd love to go to the Sugar on Snow and taste those, not to mention the fresh apple cider.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up in northern Vermont and have done my share of helping with the sugaring. A special treat was when we drew a bit of syrup straight from the boiling pan while it was still hot and sip it like hot tea. Oh what a treat that was. Grade B is just a bit too skanky for me but I like Grade A dark, one step above it. I agree with many that fancy allegedly the highest grade, is too sweet while lacking more so in maple flavor.

To me, it's a covered bridge. Might be hard to get to the site of the Sugar on Snow festival though. It sounds like a great event. I was up in northern Vermont for a week around Christmas at my niece's. I told her I wanted to buy some maple syrup right from a farmer/producer so they would get all the profit and none for any middleman. She turned me on to Grade B dark amber, for the FULL maple flavor. I've now got a second addiction in addition to flashlights. I bought three gallons. The stuff is so good. I'd love to go to the Sugar on Snow and taste those, not to mention the fresh apple cider.