• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired >>>FOUND<<<, NICE LUX III emitter

Phil_B

Enlightened
As title, required to mod a sweet little ARC LSH. I'd like the brightest most efficient bin I can get. Must be a white led, and as close to neutral tint as I can get.
Only one actually required, but I'll buy two if available.
What ya got? :)

Last edited:

Groundhog66

Banned
Re: WANTED, NICE LUX III emitter

I would contact PhotonFanatic, he has just about anything that's readily available.

Tim

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I'd buy a Seoul P4 U-bin instead of a Luxeon III.

The Seoul P4 U-bin is twice as efficient as the Luxeon III so for the same power, the Seoul would have double the output.

Photon Fanatic also has them for sale.

Groundhog66

Banned

You will want something like a thermal compound under the emitter if the heatsink is not anodized, but you should be fine.

I would also consider upgrading to a reflector instead of the optic, turns out NICE in my opinion.

Groundhog66

Banned

You can actually buy everything you need from Fred, he sells the Khatod reflectors (17mm?) as well. Look to flashlightlens.com for the proper size lens for it as well, really nice upgrades for an awesome light.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you really want a Lux, ARC has U bins on their accessories page for $4.95. I'd probably use the Seoul though.

schiesz

Phil_B

Enlightened

From Doug McLeishes site...

"With a slight modification for optic alignment, the Seoul P4 can be retrofit in a luxeon based light. The sink slug is anode and needs to be electrically isolated from the circuit"

What's required with the anode? I need to insulate AND conduct the heat? How so?
I was hoping for a straight swap.

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just did 2 of my Arc LSH's and used Seoul USVOH LEDs, as I like the slight warmth over a USWOH that most prefer. IIRC, the LSH board already had some sort of pad under the LED, I just put a drop of thermal compound down and plopped the LED on. If you see bare aluminum in the cutout there, what I do is use a paper hole punch and cut out an insulating disc from transistor heatsink mounting mica sheet. Otherwise, the Seoul is an exact fit for the Luxeons, although the position of the die results in slightly different beams with the same optics in the same position. I went with the Khatod 17mm reflectors, and love the results. The LED board screws down onto the reflector and helps hold the LED down for heat transfer, although I feel less heat than it ever had with Luxeons. I feel its a non-issue at normal currents like the Arc 350mA.

Photon Fanatic supplied my Seouls and Khatods.

Ctechlite

Enlightened

I'd also ask Photonfanatic to be sure, but...I think some of the SSC's have isolated slugs now.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened

Phil, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you a few. I have two u-bin Lux IIIs that I purchased ages ago (sadly, for $25 each I think!). I'd planned to use them in some mods, but I never got around to it. With the advent of Seouls and Crees, they're not worth much these days, so I'd just be happy knowing they went to a good home. No charge - just repay the favor to another CPFer in the future.

- FITP

P.S. I prefer warmer tints, so I purchased two different bins (UW and UX?) to make sure I'd have at least one that I liked. Hopefully this means that one of the choices will make you happy!

Phil_B

Enlightened

Phil, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you a few. I have two u-bin Lux IIIs that I purchased ages ago (sadly, for $25 each I think!). I'd planned to use them in some mods, but I never got around to it. With the advent of Seouls and Crees, they're not worth much these days, so I'd just be happy knowing they went to a good home. No charge - just repay the favor to another CPFer in the future.

- FITP

P.S. I prefer warmer tints, so I purchased two different bins (UW and UX?) to make sure I'd have at least one that I liked. Hopefully this means that one of the choices will make you happy!

That's superbly generous of you FITP, many thanks!!!
PM to follow.

Phil_B

Enlightened

Louie said;

"If you see bare aluminum in the cutout there, what I do is use a paper hole punch and cut out an insulating disc from transistor heatsink mounting mica sheet."

Can you explain what transistor heatsink mounting mica sheet is please? Sorry for the newbie inquisition! P.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

Louie said;

"If you see bare aluminum in the cutout there, what I do is use a paper hole punch and cut out an insulating disc from transistor heatsink mounting mica sheet."

Can you explain what transistor heatsink mounting mica sheet is please? Sorry for the newbie inquisition! P.

No problem - when power transistors are mounted to heatsinks, they also usually need to be electrically insulated from the heatsink. The standard for years was thin sheets of the clear mineral we call mica, precut to the outline of the transistor. I have old extras in the junk drawer, but nowadays what appear to be silicone sheets are often used.

IIRC, the Arc LS already used insulating self adhesive dots under the Luxeon, in which case, I recall doing nothing other than replacing the LED with Seouls and they are working fine. Also I recall a cutout in the circuit board for the Luxeon slug which doesn't quite fit the slug on the Seoul, so it's possible my Seouls are sitting on top of the cutout and that may be providing the insulation. So you'll have to look when you get it apart and scrape away what is under the Luxeon.