AdAware problem

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been trying to update and run AdAware and ran into a snag. It went through the usual menu but when downloading the updated information, it soon stopped with an error message. I tried it a few more times with the same results and then rebooted and tried again. Same error.
So then I removed the program and went to the AdAware site to get a new copy. It's 20MB and on a dial up so it would take about 2 hours. It only took 30 minutes (?) :oops:So I downloaded it. I had some funky aaw.exe icon on my desk top and when I tried to run it I got an error message about not being able to run that type of file.

Does anyone have any hints on what to do? Please keep it very simple or give me good details.

I use/run
Win XP
Firefox
Avast Antivirus
SpywareBlaster
Spybot-Search&Destroy

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are running normally. At least I hope so because I have the same problem. So just run Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster and don't worry about it.

Lavasoft has a support forum. You could check that out.

untitled.PNG

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
I believe the problem is with ad-aware. I have the same exact problem and sure would appreciate an answer from someone knowledgeable. My computer knowledge is best decribed as the ability to identify one if it falls on my foot:confused:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wooo. Big relief to me. I thought something got in my system.:poof:

Eluminator. Bingo, you nailed it.

Outrider. I think we are equal on computer science.

Well, I'm glad I brought this up. More people will know that "It's not just me".

:grin2:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I couldn't get the latest free version to work on my old Win 98 computer. An earlier one worked, but clever me decided I needed an upgrade. Thankfully the junk that gets through is bearable.

Geoff

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this at lavasoft.

Please note that, as of December 31, 2007, Lavasoft will not issue new Definitions File updates or provide technical support for Ad-Aware SE. For the latest protection, please update to Ad-Aware 2007.

It looks like SE is now unsupported.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I know they have a retail version out now. I got it awhile back, found it to be buggy/wouldn't run and got a refund.

Continued using the free version. I had 2 different downloaded files and one would always lock up at 5% while downloading the new definition files. The other downloaded version always worked, so I deleted the bad file.

Well...now it seems the one that worked is acting like the one I deleted. So, I'm of no help to anyone here - just agreeing with everyone. Maybe I should check to see if their retail version has been smoothed out?

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
Big thank you to sunspot:thanks: I used CNET to download the free 2007 version,worked like a charm.The program removed the old version and installed the new one. It even put a new shortcut icon on my desktop. All i had to do was run the up-date, which worked! :rock:
Is there anything the good folks of CPF can't do?

Now all i need is the winning lottery numbers so i can retire and go play with my grandson.

dulridge

Enlightened
If you decide to give up on AdAware you can try "Windows Defender" Free with any valid copy of Windows. I am not the biggest fan of MS but Defender works well.

Only works in XP and Vista - it is possible to hack the installer to work on 2000 but hardly worth the effort.

stevep

Newly Enlightened
I was having trouble as well, so I removed AdAwareSE and installed the new version.

It did leave two icons on the desktop that only work with the paid version, I deleted them.

The new AdAware 2007(shouldn't it be 2008?) appears to be working.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
The new version apparently runs continuously in the background even though you have to run it manually. There is no "real time" protection. This has caused some computer reviewers to not recommend it.

See the Washington Post article: http://tinyurl.com/2cbmzz

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
A note to those with older computers, Ad Aware 2007 doesn't work with Windows 98.

Four hours downloading via dial-up(my dial-up is very slow, even for dial-up) to find that out. Having a new computer built and learning how to use Linux is looking more and more attractive.

:buddies:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
AdAware didn't "get along" with Norton so I just removed it. No problems since except the occasional glitch.

Marlite

Enlightened
Re: Ad Aware problem

Hello Sunspot

Thanks for eliciting these great replies. I run Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D alternately every week. I had the stall at 5% on consecutive updates and still was able to run scans expecting it would improve. The O/Post brought scary replies.

I have Symantec A/Virus C.E. and it is known to have few friends so I don't need two resident heroes roaming around looking for trouble. I guess I'll look at SpywareBlaster as suggested here as my old sentinel has fallen asleep.

Thanks CPF tech guys for your help.
marlite

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I downloaded MS Defender. I'm not sure it's working correctly. I got an error when I tried to check for updates. I'll check it again tonight.
The main problem I can see with Defender and the new Ad-Aware when/if they run in the background, will it slow my internet speed.
Right now, when I do my dial up, AVG checks and updates my inti-virus program. This does slow me down for the first 5 minutes or so.

I'll try again to download the Ad-Aware tonight.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always been a spybot search and destroy user, as well as AVG's free stuff. I have also seen decent reviews of windows defender but my pride is too great to give it a try.