The Rex vs LODce vs Freedom (PICS)

todo

Newly Enlightened
Here are three of my favorite lights, the New photon Rex, a photon Freedom, and my LOD on 10440's. The Rex holds up quite well against the overclocked LOD, and the photo also shows the Rex's nice tint.

LRI Photon Rex
041.jpg

Photon Freedom

040.jpg

LODCE on 10440's

039.jpg

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ReX is also a favorite of mine. It sure can put out a lot of light for being so small. The UI is fantastic and I like ramping it up from low to just the right amount of light that I need and to conserve power so as not to run it at full output.

I am very suprised by the great color of mine as well. It is a very nice white and makes all my other 5mm lights look blue in comparison - I don't know if this is typical of the new DS LED that LRI is using or I got really lucky. You would never guess the color is comming from a group of 5mm LED's. I carry it with me all the time.

todo

Newly Enlightened
Here is my Rex light and charger. White dots are to ensure correct charger hookup.
005.jpg

Here is a close up of 2 Rex light chargers, the one on the right has had the collar trimmed, the one on the left is stock. The trimmed plastic collar is so much easier to attach and stays attached . The second light I got the charger fits better , but I still use the trimmed one because of its ease of use. Note ///if you do this mod, it is posibble to reverse polarity when charging .... not a good thing.
004.jpg

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that the new Q5 or the Old P4?

either way, i just love seeing the LOD blow away the keychain lights..:devil:

Crenshaw

todo

Newly Enlightened
Is that the new Q5 or the Old P4?

either way, i just love seeing the LOD blow away the keychain lights..:devil:

Crenshaw

Its the old LODce, 1 yr old, lots of 10440's run through it and still going strong. I still carry it every day, but use it much less with the Rex now hanging from my neck. The Rex isn't as bright as the LOD, but bright enough to cover most all jobs. Since I can't decide which I like better I carry both.

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice shots, it hadn't sunk in for me how powerful the Rex was til I saw those comparison photos.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its the old LODce, 1 yr old, lots of 10440's run through it and still going strong. I still carry it every day, but use it much less with the Rex now hanging from my neck. The Rex isn't as bright as the LOD, but bright enough to cover most all jobs. Since I can't decide which I like better I carry both.

Yeah, even the rex would probably be overkill in most "need light" situations...

but dang, I cant wait to get the new LOD..

Crenshaw

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the exposure time fixed for all three photos? If not, comparing the shots to one another isn't really valid. I would expect even a stock L0D to blow them away, let alone one with 10440 (is that P4, or Q4 btw?), as it should be drawing about ten times as much current, at similar or marginally lower efficiency.

paulr

Flashaholic
Good point about the exposure, but I figured the L0D shot looked maybe a stop or so brighter than the Rex, which is plausible if the Rex has four Nichia DS's that are overdriven when the battery is fully charged (10+ lumens per led) and around 80 torch lumens are coming out of the L0D. So the shots look plausible.

cv3po

Banned
Nice pics...............the sidespill is making me hungry! :popcorn:

I love my LOD Q4 and have been eyeing a Rex for awhile now. I've heard from some folks that it doesn't hold a charge very well as it ages tho. For rex owners.................how well does it take and hold a charge? Also, do you know the mah rating of the batt? I read it somewhere but now cannot find it. Also I heard that the button felt "flimsy" and not as nice as the freedom. Anyone have any problems with theirs? I'll probably go ahead and order one anyway, it IS quite an innovative design if it works.

todo

Newly Enlightened
Was the exposure time fixed for all three photos? If not, comparing the shots to one another isn't really valid. I would expect even a stock L0D to blow them away, let alone one with 10440 (is that P4, or Q4 btw?), as it should be drawing about ten times as much current, at similar or marginally lower efficiency.

I will check exposure when I get home. It was an off the cuff experiment with my little pocket cam. I set it on "high sensitivity" mode which I believe steps up the ISO, evident by the graininess.

My point was not to say that either light is THE winner. Simply to give a frame of reference for people to compare what the Rex is like. The fact that the Rex is even close to the LODce with 10440's, is saying a lot.

Actually the better comparison is with the photon Freedom, since they are both realitively same size and shape . We all know that a Freedom offers quite usable light/lumins, especially indoors and most all short range lighting situations. And the Rex completly blows the freedom away in terms of lumins.

Last edited:

todo

Newly Enlightened
Nice pics...............the sidespill is making me hungry! :popcorn:

I love my LOD Q4 and have been eyeing a Rex for awhile now. I've heard from some folks that it doesn't hold a charge very well as it ages tho. For rex owners.................how well does it take and hold a charge? Also, do you know the mah rating of the batt? I read it somewhere but now cannot find it. Also I heard that the button felt "flimsy" and not as nice as the freedom. Anyone have any problems with theirs? I'll probably go ahead and order one anyway, it IS quite an innovative design if it works.

Ya , I'm a huge LOD on 10440's fan, it just doesn't get much better than that. The Rex though, is definatly cutting in on the times I grab for the LOD .

I charge the Rex about every other day. I keep a 2600 nimh Duracell on charge, snap the charger on the Rex and attach the magnetic leads to the Duracell, usually less than an hr its fully charged, and back around my neck. If used on high the charge goes fast, if ramped up to 75% very acceptable. So far its a great little light, but time will tell. I might also add that it is water-resistant so far. I got in the habit of wearing my photon freedom 24/7 daytime,nitetime,showers,swimming,etc. So I have been doing the same with the Rex. haven't submerged it yet and probably won't unless I forget, but getting wet has'nt effected it yet.

The button is IMO better and easier to opperate than the freedom. No its not flimsy.

Last edited: