Brinkman Nexstar vs Radio Shack 272-1150 Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlhess

Enlightened
In my previous thread where the Brinkmann Nexstar lamp trounced a Mag "stock" lamp, lemlux asked about the Radio Shack 2.5V 430mA 272-1150 Krypton Mini-Flashlight lamp. One of the keys to answering this question is the fact that the RS is Krypton and the Brinkmann is Xenon--it seems that Xenon is usually better. It was this time, too.

I got out a brand new set of AAs (I tend to measure with slightly used batteries to get more of a feel of what the lights do, but for this I wanted to see what they could do).

The RS drew 460mA and produced a peak of 720 cd

The Brinkmann (tested second on same set of batteries) drew 490 and produced a peak of 920 cd

I tried to be equal in adjusting the focus.

For the same price I'd go with the Brinkmann.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
rlhess:

I hadn't realized the Brinkmanns were Xenon. That's an impressive difference.

Thanks for testing and publishing the difference.

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
I've had mixed success with the Krypton RS bulbs. The first I bought seemed every bit as bright as the Nexstar. The next 2 I tried were noticably dimmer than the Nexstar, and maybe not even as good as the stock MiniMag bulbs. (Makes me wonder if these bulbs were mis-packaged, but I did try 2!) Nexstar seems to be the way to go.

weavers2

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this type of blog so please be patient........ I've recently unearthed a Brinkman NexStar flashlight from one of my late Dad's toolboxes. It's been there at least 5 years, there is no visible switch so I'm assuming the bulb housing must have moved at one time. I've tried lubricating the area to no avail. I wanted to make sure that I'm working in the right area before I put a wrench on it in the vice. This is the 2 C version. Help please?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You are bumping a 12 year old thread. Start your own thread re this type of question. Closing this one.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.