AAA DS no brighter than standard?....Gransee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw51

Enlightened
Based upon all the good reviews here about the Arc AAA, I purchased one of the camo/HA "Frankenstein" lights rated at 3.3 lumens. I was very happy with this light (output included), so I ordered a AAA-P DS (9 lumens) expecting 3x the brightness more or less.

The DS arrived today and I can't tell the difference in output between the two. The beams are identical. Has anyone else had this experience? Maybe I got a DS on the Camo, or the DS isn't so? I'm just kind of disappointed after spending over twice the price for the same output.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AAA DS no brighter than standard?

It may be difficult to tell even side by side sometimes. I found the best way is to use ceiling bounce. Go into a dark room and alternate shining the two on the ceiling. I find differences more obvious this way. Having said that though I was able to see the difference between my E0 (5 lumens) and the Arc DS (9 lumens) on the wall so there might be a problem. Make sure you clean the contacts on your light and try different batteries before passing judgements and taking any kind of warranty action.

paulr

Flashaholic

The difference should be very noticable if you compare the two lights in a dark room.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Also, make sure the batteries you're using are the same brand and model, and ensure that voltage is the same as well. That can play a huge part in the differences you're seeing (or not seeing!).

john

dw51

Enlightened

They are both using Energizer lithiums.

I can really see no difference between these lights in output. I really don't think it is a resistance/contact issue, I just think maybe one of the lights got the wrong head.

I don't have one of the other models to compare to so I don't know how bright or dim they were (BS, CS).

In the beamshots, the left is the camo kit and the right is the DS.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh155/dw51/DSCF0002.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh155/dw51/DSCF0001.jpg

Last edited:

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe the Franken camo lights were using the CS Nichias. They would not be rated at 3 lumens. Difference between CS and DS Nichias are verifiable on a light meter. Using your eyes is a very different matter.

dw51

Enlightened

I believe the Franken camo lights were using the CS Nichias. They would not be rated at 3 lumens. Difference between CS and DS Nichias are verifiable on a light meter. Using your eyes is a very different matter.

From the Arc website:
Arc-AAA Natural/Camo Kit -- $24.95, on sale for $17.95 whilte supplies last [Add to Cart]
This kits consists of a camo battery pack, 3.3lm standard head (HA natural), duracell and clip. Together it makes for a unique appearance in flashlights.

paulr

Flashaholic

There were a bunch of camos with CS but I thought the frankens were advertised as BS HA heads with camo bodies.

CS vs DS difference should still be noticable without a meter but far less pronounced than BS vs DS. Go in a dark room, wait a minute to get dark adapted, turn on both lights covering each bezel with your finger. Then switch back and forth between the two (cover one and uncover the other) pointing the lights at the ceiling, so you can do an A/B comparison of how the surrounding stuff in the room is illuminated by the reflected light.

dw51

Enlightened

CS vs DS difference should still be noticable without a meter but far less pronounced than BS vs DS. Go in a dark room, wait a minute to get dark adapted, turn on both lights covering each bezel with your finger. Then switch back and forth between the two (cover one and uncover the other) pointing the lights at the ceiling, so you can do an A/B comparison of how the surrounding stuff in the room is illuminated by the reflected light.

No difference noticed at all. I'll try the lights outdoors tomorrow night, but I have a feeling I'll get the same results.

Thanks to everyone so far.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's suppose to be a BS nichia, then you should notice the difference easily.

That said, Arc gives minimum lumen ratings, so you still should not expect three times the output.

paulr

Flashaholic

Something surprising is going on. I guess there's an off chance you got a DS head with your franken light. Is there a slight taper at the front of the head, or is it straight sided?

Anyway I'd say there's a decent chance Peter will weigh in on this thread next week (I hope he's having a good weekend right now and staying away from computers and work-related stuff). I'd wait to hear what he has to say.

If you have a 2aa minimag, the ceiling bounce test should put it similar to the DS but the BS will be way lower. That will give an idea of what you've got.

dw51

Enlightened

Yes there is a taper. The two heads look identical.

That said, Arc gives minimum lumen ratings, so you still should not expect three times the output.

I wasn't expecting 3 times the output, but at least some difference in output.

paulr

Flashaholic

Is there noticable tint difference between the beams? Do the heads look basically identical?

If the beams look the same (including tint) then chances are you got a DS head with your frankenlight, i.e. you made out like a bandit.

That said, if you're purely after max lumens per dollar, these aren't the lights you're looking for. Buying a grand cru champagne might or might not be worth it in other regards, but the alcohol content won't be any higher than the cheap stuff.

dw51

Enlightened

I know these aren't going to be extremely bright. I know what they are (small, rugged, useful) and that's why I bought them. My concern is that there should be a difference between the two since they are supposed to be different heads. If they somehow happen to both be DS heads, then great. Otherwise I'm wondering if my P didn't come with a DS. I just want to make sure everything is as it should be.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with paulr, the key is in the tint. Are your tints the same? The DS is less blue than the CS, but not as white as the snow. When I first got my DS I also thought there wasn't a huge difference in output. However, after some use, I did indeed find it to be brighter. The tint is nicer, too!

dw51

Enlightened

To my eyes the tint is the same. Same blue spot in the middle, same everything. As I've been saying, I can't tell the difference at all.

CPEng

Newly Enlightened

Tapered head means it's at least a CS. Good for you! :)

I bought some standard BS lights year ago Christmas for friends family and they are tapered heads just like my CS Arc-P. Other then brightness they look the same. The tapered head design was applied to all the AAA heads when the switched I believe. Otherwise I don't think it makes sense to make two different heads for putting basically the same thing in there (not counting the difference in brightness of LED (CS to BS)).

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

After reading this thread, I am glad that I have a lightmeter.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.