Whts the need of such a forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadab

Newly Enlightened
Hi
when i found this forum i wondered if really such forum exits
from the area it covers i thought it would be having a limited membership, but i was ashtonised to find that there were 35,825 members posting a total of 2,322,727 posts !!!!!!!!

so here's my query what is the aim of this forum ?

what all those people do with with their lights , i mean what sort of work they use it for?
do americans need so much of outdoor portable light? in our part of the world only industry, military and farming communities need such sort of things. and they would be the only one needing a forum of such kind.
But here every kind of people could be found lurking.
From reading the forums and topics i get the impression that people love their lights like they would have loved their lover.
It is just amazing; you people are just crazy

so pls explain me all this and also give a rough estimate how big is this hobby and industry in that part of the universe

Also while i am here let me ask you to please suggest a long range flash light ( above 500 meter or .4 miles) , portable (prefrebaly pocket size), re-chargeanble ( 2- 3 year battery life)

thanks
shadab

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hi
when i found this forum i wondered if really such forum exits
from the area it covers i thought it would be having a limited membership, but i was ashtonised to find that there were 35,825 members posting a total of 2,322,727 posts !!!!!!!!

so here's my query what is the aim of this forum ?

what all those people do with with their lights , i mean what sort of work they use it for?
do americans need so much of outdoor portable light? in our part of the world only industry, military and farming communities need such sort of things. and they would be the only one needing a forum of such kind.
But here every kind of people could be found lurking.
From reading the forums and topics i get the impression that people love their lights like they would have loved their lover.
It is just amazing; you people are just crazy

so pls explain me all this and also give a rough estimate how big is this hobby and industry in that part of the universe

Also while i am here let me ask you to please suggest a long range flash light ( above 500 meter or .4 miles) , portable (prefrebaly pocket size), re-chargeanble ( 2- 3 year battery life)

thanks
shadab

Just to clear something up, this is not an "American" forum. Membership here circles the globe, from North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and everywhere in between.

Why does it exist?

Well, last I checked, there is on average about 12 hours of something called "darkness" out of every 24 hours in the day. Do you carry an umbrella when there is a 50% chance of rain that day? Well, there is a 100% chance of darkness every evening :candle:

Edit:
Why would you call us crazy, but then turn right around and ask for help with picking a flashlight??

Last edited:

jinx626

Enlightened

thanks
shadab

omg i know just the light for you!!! but I don't like your attitude so I am not telling.

(Moderator note: jinx626, I don't understand your post - seems rude to me. I'd suggest an edit or explanation.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clear something up, this is not an "American" forum. Membership here circles the globe, from North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and everywhere in between.......
Darn tootin'!!!!! I couldn't build most of the flashlights I have if it wasn't for fellow CPFers in places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Mylasia, Canada, Denmark, and so on. I'm sure I missed a bunch, so if I skipped your country, no offense intended. I have made more international friends here on CPF that when I was in the Navy actually going to different countries.

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi shadab - for night security sweeps at 500m you may need a more than
a pocket size light. Its a long distance. Would a belt holster for a larger light be something you could think to use?

And welcome to CPF! We'll be happy to explain our sensible interest in
all things that make light.

hopkins

hopkins

Enlightened
Also if I may comment on the purpose of this forum.
Light is like the air we breathe because we only notice it when there is none.
Lights are also tools.
None of them are perfect but CPF helps us make them better as we talk and
argue and laugh.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
:welcome: shadab, Do you have power outages, or perhaps need to look for something that dropped under/behind something, or heard a noise in the night that requires investigation, or need to see inside something (a drawer, box, piece of equipment, etc) where there just isn't enough light?

Do you use any types of tools? If so, do you use one screwdriver for every task? Many different lights for many different reasons. Some lights are worthless and you may as well not even have them. Good lights will help you do many things, in many different ways (throw, flood, enhance different colors and/or security features, warn/gain attention, security, survival, etc.).

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I can tell you is that many people in this world collect many things for many reasons. It just so happens that we collect flashlights, which are extremely practical, enjoyable, albeit sometimes expensive, objects to collect. Some of us collect for work purposes, some for recreation, some just for the hell of it. For the joy and satisfaction of turning on a well-built, well-performing light that we know was designed and built to be the best lighting instrument for its specific application, not just according to the manufacturer, but according to those of us who know a quality product when we see one. The forum is so we can have a common place to share our hobby with others. To offer help, encouragement, guidance, suggestions to all who are seeking it. As for a suggestion, I am thinking: an HID-based light such as the MicroFire Warrior III K3500R 35W HID light. You will have a very difficult time with any other lighting technology besides HID. HID lights are the only option that can throw that far and have reasonable size/runtime. :welcome:

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Myself I have loved flashlights since I was a little kid. I do a lot of outdoor activities when I can find the time, so flashlights are a useful tool. Furthermore I find that very few people have ever been prepared when the the power goes out, and I value preparedness. There's nothing worse than sitting around helpless in an emergency situation, and flashlights can be a big help. Myself I work with children and they seem to have a rather big fear of the dark.
Everyone has an obsession or three. For me I like having the biggest flashlight. For other people it may be cars, stamps, Elvis memorabilia, etc. You make the comment about Americans. It has already been said that this is not just an American forum; many of us here enjoy the fact that we share something common with people on the other side of the globe. One could argue that the extravagant lights that we purchase and build are not necessary. Let's just leave the socio-economic argument at the fact that most citizens of westernized countries are well off enough to be able to afford such luxuries.
We do have several active Law Enforcement members here, as well as military. We have plenty of other people who use flashlights as a part of their professions and hobbies. We have cyclists, cavers, and scuba members, all of whom are always looking for newer better lighting tools. A popular topic for lights is EDC or every day carry. Sometimes we just need a bit more light that what is offered. Many of us wake up to go to work before the sun is up, and likewise many come home after the sun sets. In some cases it is both in the same day.

Is this a "big" hobby? No, not really. Many people who have met me think I'm crazy about my flashlight hobby. I think many people are crazy for not having a good flashlight.

If you're looking for a 500m throwing flashlight you should check out HID lights. There are some decently small sized hand-held models that are rechargeable. Look at the Microfire K3500R and AE Xenide 25W lights to start with. You're not going to get a pocket sized light that throws 500m and has a usable runtime, but these lights aren't too much larger than pocket size.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shadab.....collectors - of stamps or plates or whatever - are just tickled by the things they collect. This here is a bunch tickled by electric/ electronic/ gadgety hardware things that make light, which you have to admit, is fairly innocuous, comparatively.... If you are so inclined, then welcome, and you probably can feel the tickle already. If you are not so inclined, then welcome anyway, but it'll be hard to explain the tickle to you...

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
There is no pocket size flashlight as powerful as what you're asking. Try a 35 watt HID, which is a lantern sized light with a shoulder strap. The Amondotech N30 is a good value for this type of light at $150 or so, and is one of the smaller ones at about 3 pounds. It has a rechargeable nimh battery with a lithium ion version (more $$ but less weight) in the works.

CPF is a board of flashlight enthusiasts, just like there are boards for wristwatch enthusiasts (www.timezone.com), guitar enthusiasts, sports car enthusiasts, etc. The term we use is "flashaholic" which to me means someone who happily buys flashlights (or even builds their own) just for the enjoyment of it, without regard to whether the light fulfills a real practical requirement. (Anyone who has five or more of the same type of light has no practical requirement for a sixth... but we buy them all the time anyway).

Welcome etc.

gunga

Flashaholic
I too once thought it odd to have a forum about llights.

For some reason, over a year and 1000 posts alter, I seem to understand.

In any case, there are forums on the net about any number of hobbies and interests, so why not flashlights?

Personally, I'm a gizmo hound so I must say, so many of these flashlights are just plain cool.

:D

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think that I was born with an addiction to anything that glowed or made light. When I came across CPF I realized that I wasn't alone in my obsession for lights. With CPF I found a place to be a kid again along with a bunch of other kids....:D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
"answer" to the 1st post:
noone forces a human to read forums, just because they are there
:rolleyes:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
This is a hobby, just like collecting stamps and making kit cars.

Many people here carry at least one light with them(me included) just in case, and it has be a good idea for more then a few times. Other people need the lights for work, others like them for play.

Where else can you proudly say: "Mine is smaller then yours."

This is an international forum, there are people here form all over the world(maybe minus Antarctica).

Flashlight for half a Kilometer?

It definitely won't be too pocket able.

You would be looking into HID territory.

What is the size range you are looking for?
Runtime?
Price?

:welcome:

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
I don't think he means any harm - sometimes collecting type hobbies can seem a little odd to people who are not part of them - they do tend to inspire what can be seen as unusual obsession, and expense.

I think there are various types of people who might post here (in no particular order)

1) People who have a working need for lights (Gamekeepers, security guards, miltary, police, fire & rescue, milkmen, farmers etc.)

2) People who are interested in "preparedness" - who want to be able to comfortably survive in uncomfortable situations (floods, wars, famine, etc)

3) People who like collecting things, or just like items with good quality workmanship and materials.

4) People who use lights in their hobbies (cyclists, campers, bushcrafters, mountain bikers, skiers, boating people etc)

There's probably many more reasons, some people will fall into all of those categories.

Naturally, in rich developed countries, there will be more recreational users and collectors than in countries where people have less disposable income. I imagine this could lead to some surprise and confusion.

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
Hi

thanks
shadab

Welcome to CPF.

Well there's 1 for you right there.
Hmm, does shadab sound like shaddup as in shutup? Or am I way off base on that?

EDIT: I was not indirectly telling him to shutup, I was curious of why he chose "shadap" as his screen name, I should have been more clear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.