What is the smallest Q5 light using LiFePO4 18650 < $80?

ultimaonliner

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've been using and really enjoying my first LED light, a Fenix P1D-CE Q5 but after reading the flashlight batteries included forum, have realized that I should have probably bought a flashlight that could use rechargeable 18650's.

A search shows that a lot of people seem to like the Luma Hunter M1 and a Huntlight FT01X as well as possibly modifying a Fenix P3D-CE.

But, I want the absolute smallest, brightest 18650 light using LiFePO4's preferrably with a Cree Q5 that is still under $80. (I prefer throw and either twisty or clicky is fine.)

Is there any particular LED flashlight that dominates this niche?

Thanks

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can you get 18650s in LiFePO4? I thought only CR123 was available in this "safe" chemistry.

What are you using to charge them? (The normal 3.6v chargers use too high a voltage for LiFePO4.)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can you get 18650s in LiFePO4? I thought only CR123 was available in this "safe" chemistry.
http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.lifepo4

What are you using to charge them? (The normal 3.6v chargers use too high a voltage for LiFePO4.)
I'm using a RC charger that can charge A123 and by extension other LiFe cells, but if you don't have a crapload of cells sitting around the sensible option is to buy a specific charger. I'm not sure if DX's "3v" chargers will do, as they are apparently calibrated for diode-regulated LiIon cells.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can you get 18650s in LiFePO4?

The Black and Decker VPX battery packs contain two 18650 LiFePO4 batteries from A123 Systems.

You'd think a P2D with a 18650 tube would be a nice small light, but there must be some problem or someone would have them for sale.

Last edited: