Surefire LED questions.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I stopped at Gander Mountain on the way home from Flashapalooza last night.

I again wondered at the small size of the E2.

I was particularly interested in the L1 and the E1L.

L1 looks GREAT! Sleek, stylish etc. But it has a big bubble lens gadget that reminds me of an optic.

E1L looks kind of cobbed up. The head doesn't blend into the body like L1. Inside the head LOOKS like reflector.

Also E1L package mentions 1W and digital regulation. I didn't see an L1 package.

I didn't get to handle or try any of the SF lights. I stood by the display, walked all around it looking etc. and no one EVER asked if they could help me.

The chance to buy one may be gone anyhow now, but I'd like to hear about the differences and see beam shots of each.

Please?

Size15's

Flashaholic
L1 looks GREAT! Sleek, stylish etc. But it has a big bubble lens gadget that reminds me of an optic.

E1L looks kind of cobbed up. The head doesn't blend into the body like L1. Inside the head LOOKS like reflector.
From your description it sounds like the L1 you saw was not the current version.
Both the E1L (it should have KX1 etched on the bezel) and current L1 have the same optic (that looks a bit like a reflector)

One thing to remember is that the E1L and E2L are LED versions of the E1e and E2e - with the LED bezels replacing the incandescent bezel, whereas the L1 has been designed from the start to be an LED flashlight. This may account for the 'looking kind of cobbed up' you mention.

I would personally get a current L1 rather than an E1L or E2e etc. There are threads on CPF showing what to look for to ensure you're purchasing the current L1.

Al

precisionworks

Flashaholic
There are surely proponents of the E2E, but the Xenon lamp produces just 60 lumens for 75 minutes ... and the filament will burn out at some time. The L4 is .3" longer, .3 oz heavier, but produces 100 lumens for 150 minutes. And the LED will last upwards of 100,000 hours. IMO, the L4 kicks the E2E in all categories.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm sure that is true because once out in QUALITY dark I could see everything with a SL 4AA LUX that I could with a P60. And the SL will stay that bright for at least 3.5 hours.

I kind of figured that L1 was older. I wouldn't think they sell all that many SF anyhow. They only had incandescent G2s and all had Nitrolon heads.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
There are surely proponents of the E2E, but the Xenon lamp produces just 60 lumens for 75 minutes ... and the filament will burn out at some time. The L4 is .3" longer, .3 oz heavier, but produces 100 lumens for 150 minutes. And the LED will last upwards of 100,000 hours. IMO, the L4 kicks the E2E in all categories.

Actually the L4 can only produce 100 lumens for like the first five minutes of use. However it produces about 90 lumens for about 80 mins. It's 2.5 hour runtime is'nt all at full brightness.

-Evan

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
If you want to hold off for a while Surefire's E1B Backup will be out this year. Looks like a smoothed out E1L with 2 light levels 80 lumens on high and 5 on low with a ridiculous run time of 45 hours on low. Ridiculous in the good wa not the bad way. If you can't wait the L1 would be my advice for a 1st choice.

vantage

Newly Enlightened
I've carried an E2E for years, and although I'll admit there are better options coming out, it'll always rank among my favorites.

That being said, I've become a very big fan of my E2L as well and would highly recommend one to anyone.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Actually the L4 can only produce 100 lumens for like the first five minutes of use. However it produces about 90 lumens for about 80 mins. It's 2.5 hour runtime is'nt all at full brightness.

-Evan
That's if you make the assumption that the SureFire lumen rating is an absolute maximum (100 lumens is 100%). It is more accurate that the rating is a ballpark figure - one that SureFire can be confident is appropriate for any individual flashlight tested.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
...I've become a very big fan of my E2L as well...

Me too. Not expensive (in Surefire terms), just a bit larger than the L1, very long run time, and a projector-type beam pattern that reaches way up in a dark warehouse. IMO, it is one of the best kept Surefire secrets.

MstrHnky

Enlightened

i could be wrong, but it sounds like a 5th generation surefire L1 - maybe 4th (currently on 6th generation).

my friend works at gander mountain and i was able to pick up their display model 5th gen L1 for $50. i would NOT recommend paying full price for it (~$125-135). it's a nice light and constructed like a tank, but the light just doesn't do it for me. i hate the shape of the beam pattern, somewhat of a wobble circle, and i use the word circle loosely. there is no spill whatsoever, either. my jetbeam cl-e v2 is a better edc at this point.

that being said, i am interested in getting milkyspit to upgrade it for me, if possible. i am thinking an ML1 smoothie would be nice! :) for an extra $87, i can get an ML1 smoothie for the price of the surefire L1 alone. i need to contact him to see if this is possible and what info i need to give him.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except in throw and color rendition.

Size15's

Flashaholic
And compactness & weight.

Oh and the ability to be filtered for IR output.

Plus the ability to swap out the lamp for the longer runtime MN02.

Al