Dreelight batteries

birdie12

Newly Enlightened
Just received my new DBS Q5 two stage, China to Colorado in 4 days, and in the instructions it says to use 18650 batteries, I just put in 2 x CR123A and it seems to run fine. Am I going to do any damage to the light by doing this, by the way this my first post so excuse any mistakes.

lightfet

Newly Enlightened
2 x CR123A are for SM model, I suggest not to use it anymore SD model can take up to 4.2v only.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the CR123a's going positive towards the head of the light? Or are they going positive towards the tail cap? If they are going to the tailcap then you have the SM pill which can handle 2xCR123's.

If it's a digital pill, like the 2SD, and the batteries are going towards the head, the pill should shut off to prevent damage,but may fry if current continues to flow to the pill.

birdie12

Newly Enlightened
The batteries are going positive end away from the tailcap, and the model I have is the DBS V2 w/2SD Cree XR-E module.

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
The batteries are going positive end away from the tailcap, and the model I have is the DBS V2 w/2SD Cree XR-E module.
You will damage the elecronics on the 2SD running 2XR123's on this light, if you haven't already done some damage. You're supplying +6.0 volts instead of the specified maximum +4.2 volts. The specs on your light are as follows...

Input Range: 2.8~4.2V
Output Range: 1.2A
Battery Type: 1x18650,1x17670

Earlier you asked why and the reason is because you're exceeding the recommended design limit set for maximum voltage. Just because your light is working now doesn't mean it will continue to work. And just because it's still working doesn't mean you haven't damaged or shortened the life of some components. And maybe everything is fine, but exceeding the manufacturers maximum recommended voltage is a sure way to damage or kill electronic components.

Get yourself some 18650's and a good charger or switch to the 1SM modules that can handle a wider range of voltage. Good luck.

birdie12

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, I took out the CR123a and ordered up some 18650 and charger, total run time on the CR123a was only about two minutes so hopefully I did no damage.

Zenster

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, I took out the CR123a and ordered up some 18650 and charger, total run time on the CR123a was only about two minutes so hopefully I did no damage.

If it still works when you drop in an 18650, it's probably ok.
It's not the LED that can be damaged by the higher voltage, but the electronics of the pill.
If the pill didn't go open circuit during those two minutes, you probably got lucky.

I bought the DBS with 2SD as well, but since I want to be able to use CR123's during power outages when I can't recharge, I also bought the 2SM module at the same time which works great with CR123's.
It takes no longer to switch out a module than it does to change batteries so it's a nice option to have waiting for you if you need it.
If you do decide to add a 2SM module for that purpose, be aware that the 2SM module (ONLY!) requires that the positive terminals of the batteries go toward the tailcap or you WILL fry the electronics of the 2SM.

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear you have a charger and 18650 on the way. Also glad to hear you didn't run it too much with the 2 CR123's. Hopefully everything is perfectly fine with your light. I just received my DBS V2 today. Wow! This light has a serious throw :thumbsup:

birdie12

Newly Enlightened
Still waiting on my 18650 and charger, but thought I would ask the question, if I have managed to damage the flashlight what is the fix?:oops:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still waiting on my 18650 and charger, but thought I would ask the question, if I have managed to damage the flashlight what is the fix?:oops:
I don't think you damaged it by your description. But if you did , the fix would be as simple as getting a new pill and screwing it on. Very upgradeable and it's as easy as changing a battery.

layzieyez

Newly Enlightened
Luckily, I bought both OP and SMO reflectors for the DBS and CL1H I bought. This way, I can match the Q5 1SM-2 pills for the smooth reflectors and the R2 pills with the OP. I think that'll be the best setup for me.