fenix L2D, trouble in paradise, THE SEQUEL

mimis

Newly Enlightened
ok, there was certainly a problem with my L2D runtime in turbo mode (35mins and sudden fading to 1/3 of initial output) and so i mailed fenix-store for some answers. Of course they suggested i'd send it back on my own postage fees, so i figured what the heck, i'll order a new one with not much higher cost. And guess what, new L2D just came, tested them out in the cold (7oC) side by side old and new one, and yep, they acted as real twins, sudden dimming at the same time, less than 30sec time gap!!! The light bodies are only tepid at hat point, overheating regulation can't be an excuse.. What's happening guys, i couldn't possibly be twice that unfortunate with technical defects! where's the claimed 150mins turbo run?

Last edited by a moderator:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Check your power source. Alkaline and Ni-mh don't like the cold so it could be the cold that is doing it or if you have got crappy alkaline or some bad rechargable cells then this will cause your symptoms.

DM51

Flashaholic
mimis, there was some superfluous material in your post #1 and I'm not sure how it could have got there. Probably not your fault, but it included the edit, quote and quick-reply boxes you see at the bottom of a post, plus some of your profile info.

The edit box seemed active, so I removed all this extra stuff, as I am sure you didn't mean it to be there.

Welcome to CPF, anyway!

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What batteries do you use? I tested L2D Q5 at -4°C and I got 2h+ runtime on turbo with sanyo 2700mAh. In room temperature it has runtime 2:20.

Marduke

Flashaholic
30 second runtimes eh? That sounds like "super heavy duty" runtimes :whistle:

Edit:
Ok, I see that you meant that the lights were within 30 seconds of eachother. But yeah, 35 minutes is alkaline runtimes.

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
ok, there was certainly a problem with my L2D runtime in turbo mode (35mins and sudden fading to 1/3 of initial output) and so i mailed fenix-store for some answers. Of course they suggested i'd send it back on my own postage fees, so i figured what the heck, i'll order a new one with not much higher cost. And guess what, new L2D just came, tested them out in the cold (7oC) side by side old and new one, and yep, they acted as real twins, sudden dimming at the same time, less than 30sec time gap!!! The light bodies are only tepid at hat point, overheating regulation can't be an excuse.. What's happening guys, i couldn't possibly be twice that unfortunate with technical defects! where's the claimed 150mins turbo run?

Are you using ALKALINE batteries?

Because according to Chevrofreak's data, that's about the runtime you should get with them
Fenix%20L2D%20CE%20-%20max.png

As you can see, the runtimes to 50% should be:

Alkaline: 40 min
NiMH: 110 min
Lithium: 140 min

Zenster

Enlightened
Are you using ALKALINE batteries?

Because according to Chevrofreak's data, that's about the runtime you should get with them

As you can see, the runtimes to 50% should be:

Alkaline: 40 min
NiMH: 110 min
Lithium: 140 min

That was my first thought as well. When Fenix gives runtimes, they don't specify which kind of battery, but I'm betting they're talking about runtimes with Lithiums.
Of the three types of batteries the L2D can eat, Alkalines are obviously the last choice and should really only be considered if you can't find the others in an emergencyl

mimis

Newly Enlightened
ok guys, maybe that's the point here, i've been using alkalines, never thought that the claimed runtime is about NiMh or other cells. Partly my ignorance is to blame, but fenix-store should be more specific on those matters.. thanks anyways, i'll try nimh rechargeables

Khaytsus

Enlightened
ok guys, maybe that's the point here, i've been using alkalines, never thought that the claimed runtime is about NiMh or other cells. Partly my ignorance is to blame, but fenix-store should be more specific on those matters.. thanks anyways, i'll try nimh rechargeables

Get Sanyo Eneloop's.. They behave like Alkalines for self discharge, but they run like a NiMH with a nice fairly flat output. They're great.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess they figure everyone knows that alkaline batteries don't do well in high current draw applications. :candle: