Focusable LED flashlight

slovensko

Newly Enlightened
Is there any usable focusable LED flashlight? The current trend of making the beam as tight as possible sickens me... really unusable if you want it to illuminate close objects (1-2 meters), which is most of my use.

I had to replace the reflector in my ultrafire r1 with lens because of this. sure, there is some pattern visible, but it is acceptable. But I would prefer some real focusable light...

88238650hy2.jpg

56227850gb0.jpg

11od6.jpg

21kq7.jpg

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
ive posted the same question and have gotten a couple of good suggestions... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184970

but i think that the lights they mentioned in my thread arent as drastically focusing as what you require, they only go from a tight beam to a broad beam, not the almost lantern-like spread that you are already get from your light...

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that an effective focusing system, providing both great throw and useful flood in the same light---especially in one of the new high powered pocket lights---could be the next "great frontier". But....I've been thinking that for a long time and haven't seen much of anything from the manufacturers. :sigh:

slovensko

Newly Enlightened
I think that an effective focusing system, providing both great throw and useful flood in the same light---especially in one of the new high powered pocket lights---could be the next "great frontier". But....I've been thinking that for a long time and haven't seen much of anything from the manufacturers. :sigh:

Yes, it will be. I hope soon...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have an adjustatble / aspheric Dorcy, Target $11. It uses a Nichia emitter that has a kind of rainbow, and some dark spots in its beam. It does appear to be mod-able however, and at least one other member has replaced the stock emitter a Seoul. I haven't modded mine yet. Its a really simple circuit, on/off clickie with a 3.6 ohm resistor in line on the - side.

dscn0019fm0.jpg

dscn0021iy0.jpg

At a distance of 4 feet with head adjusted for flood, the beam opens to about a ~3 foot diameter circle.
dscn0028df6.jpg

Brown cardboard box + tennis raquet.
dscn0031ww9.jpg

Turn head out 1.5 twists and beam concentrates to about a 6.5 inch hot spot with a gradual flood. It will throw a surprising distance, considering its only about ~25 Lumens.
dscn0029rn2.jpg

Rotate the head out a little more and you can focus the beam further and see an image of the emitter on the wall. My camera cant capture it though.
dscn0030ne2.jpg

Even at its biggest flood setting I would consider it barely floody enough for close-work. Thats when I take the head OFF completely and just use the bare emitter.

I didn't know the RC-G2 is focus-able(!) I'm going to try that one next I think.

Last edited:

slovensko

Newly Enlightened
I looked at some of the light you posted, but I am looking for something advanced... digital regulation and if possible 1AA. It seems that I'll have to wait for someone to bring this product out.

frank777

Enlightened
The current trend of making the beam as tight as possible sickens me...

I couldn't agree more. I take most of my flashlights and diffuse them somehow. Most of the "focusable" flashlights I have found change their beam very little. This is the only one I have found that goes from a tight beam to a fairly decent flood:

http://www.quality-items-flashlight...eon-V-Focus-LED-Flashlight-Black-housing.html

Only problem - it uses the older less efficient Luxeon LED. It took me about 30 minutes to change mine to a Seoul P4.

As an alternative, this beam diffuser below fits nicely on the Novatac's.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/249/prrfnbr/185/F04-Beam-Diffuser

One other thing I have found that works fairly well is taking out the lens and replacing it with one that has a Light Diffusion Film (LDF):

http://www.flashlightlens.com/str/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=ucl_lens

Hope this helps out.

Xak

Enlightened
Maglite LEDs and Maglites with Terralux drop-ins are focusable.

Yeah, but they have no balls and ugly beams. Though my 6D MAG runs forever with the EverLED and it makes a great club, too. ;)

kilgor

Enlightened
Yeah, but they have no balls and ugly beams. Though my 6D MAG runs forever with the EverLED and it makes a great club, too. ;)

The Terralux is a Seoul P4 with a huge reflector. It has balls and is a $25 dropin.

mighty82

Enlightened
I looked at some of the light you posted, but I am looking for something advanced... digital regulation and if possible 1AA. It seems that I'll have to wait for someone to bring this product out.

The new led lenser pro fokus t5 is a 1aa digitally regulated focusable flashlight. And looks like its of good quality.

Last edited:

Latest posts