Non Paypal payments on eBay sales as a seller ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been stung a couple of times, though for low amounts, I'm thinking of only allowing bank transfers in a new account of mine for ebay items I sell over a certain amount, say £10.

I would probably ask for Paypal account holders only, to provide some information, has anyone else tried this ?

Suggestions too on best way to get paid, and stay paid.

I get the impression that Paypal doesn't really provide protection for buyers, or sellers.

Only for itself.

Charge backs being sustained by the seller, not by Paypal iteslf, with all it's wealth.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Paypal is a pain. Ebay is a pain too. Right now I'm going through hell with a non paying bidder.

Paypal protects buyers . . . TOO much. I've heard stories, first hand, where the buyer would claim they never received the item and complain to paypal. The seller would show the courier's proof of delivery and would still lose. This happened on several occasions and more than once to the same person. No, paypal protects buyers just fine, but you won't find a lot of happy sellers.

If you are selling something desirable enough, you can demand payment in any fashion. Money order is best (as long as THAT isn't a fake!).

But from a buyer's perspective, it's sure easy to just push a button or two and your item is on the way.

One way to limit problems is to link your paypal account to a bank that will NOT allow your account to go into negative numbers. It's hard to find. If you think you have this now, you should ask your bank because you are in for a surprise. Lets say someone disputes a $500 charge. The first thing paypal does is pull back $500 from the linked account. If it's not there, YOUR BANK will give it to them anyway and now you owe your bank. I have found a few that will not do that but there's always a catch. The bank I deal with now will charge me a $30 bounced check charge. This is all because of how electronic instant transfers work. But if you can find a bank that won't go negative, and always pull your spoils out of the linked account, you can remain somewhat protected for ONE problem at a time.

A large percentage of transactions go smoothly, most of the time. However, I'm certain there are more scum/scamming buyers than sellers out there these days. My brother completely gave up on Ebay because of it and I'm close.

:(

Wattnot

Enlightened
Double post due to yet another outage. Are we working on the servers or on maybe switching hosting companies?

Last edited:

Brock

Flashaholic
I have found that watching the number of transactions on both ebay and paypal helps a lot. If someone has 50+ transactions on both your pretty safe, if it's 1 or two you're likely going to have issues and none forget it. I wonder if you can really not sell to someone with less then "x" number of transaction or less then "x%" of positive feed back. I suppose everyone has to start somewhere.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is worrisome for me as I am a newby seller on Ebay. Although all my transactions have gone smooth, I wonder when then day will come that they don't.

dcom

Newly Enlightened
As a long-time ebay buyer and seller, I refuse to bid on items that require wire transfers and I'm sure I'm not alone. Paypal may be a pain for some, but for a lot of bidders, I think they feel more comfortable getting an item if the seller takes it as a form of payment.

A good way to get paid is put a disclaimer in your auction listing saying you have the right to cancel bids from bidders if you aren't comfortable with their feedback rating.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be a bit unethical, as you cannot stop buyers with low feedback, but after selling, and checking feedback, if there are any doubts, I do not send the item.

Then after a period, I say item lost in post, and refund.

Doesn't cost anything, regain selling fees, just lose listing fee.

And, depending on other offers, I have already offered a second chance offer to other bidder(s).

Works for me now.

No more sales to low feedback buyers, may not be good for a few of them, but t is much better for me, as a seller.

I would like the buyer spec option to include not selling to buyers with less than s certain feedback number, say 50, as already suggested.

I have sent this request to ebay, regarding problems with buyers...

"Buyer's requirements, I want to be able to exclude buyers with a feedback score less than a certain amount, ie 50, due to recent chargeback problems with low feedback buyers.
I would like this as an option, with either you select bands, or I select a feedback score I will not sell to"

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
I've seen MANY auctions that demand anyone with less than X number (usually 10) of 100% positive feedbacks contact seller BEFORE bidding or their bid will be cancelled. I believe there is a way to cancel a bidder's bid but I've never tried it and I don't know how it fits with Ebay's draconian rules.

Another thing to watch . . . someone can come along and buy a whole bunch of under $5 items to boost their rating, then zap YOU with the big one. Pay attention to join dates and how "compacted" their purchases are. . . if it's all purchases and they're all compacted in a short time period with worthless items, then they're suddenly selling a Rolex, watch out (no pun intended on the "rolex watch out"). :D

Torque1st

Enlightened
I do not use PayPal at all because of their fraudulent "protection" and bank policies for both buyer and seller. I use USPS money orders exclusively.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of only allowing bank transfers in a new account of mine for ebay items I sell over a certain amount, say £10.

I have read about another way UK ebayers are getting around not using paypal. The idea (like yours) is to open an account with the four main UK banks. Then you offer to take payment via internet banking.

My other half started selling a few bits last year on ebay. You get some really good fair trustworthy people, and you get some complete tools.:sigh:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been very fortunate on eBay so far. I have over 600 transactions so far and had one item not show up. Pay-Pal has been fine for me up till now and I hope things stay that way.
If you don't feel comfortable with a person bidding on an item(either because of bad feedback or low feedback #) you can cancel the bid. I have had to do this a few times, as the high bidders had a bunch of negative feedback. I would rather take less money for an item by canceling thier bid than trying to file for non-paying bidder.

I accept Money Orders and Pay-Pal only. NO PERSONAL CHECKS

I really hope I don't have any problems in the future. eBay has been a great place for me to sell off used stuff and get some money back.

tradderran

Newly Enlightened
I do not use PayPal at all because of their fraudulent "protection" and bank policies for both buyer and seller. I use USPS money orders exclusively.
That is the only way to fly.:twothumbs Pay poop :thumbsdow