Seriously considering an L1 cree again.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
Just seen the review on light reviews of the L1, did some comparisons to lights I consider to be very bright. Seems the underrate 65 lumens of the L1 is holding its own with those high lumen lights. Do numbers Lie? I still have not seen the beam of an L1 yet so I dunno if the numbers are a little deceiving. This light sure throws! Its so hard to resist and then we have the E1B on the horizon, its rated at 80 lumens using the same optics so its going to have even a higher lux.

What would you guys do? Get an L1 now or wait till the E1B rolls around. Considering a backup light for camping trips, exclude the UI since I haven't handled either one of these lights.

L1 with rcr123
High Spot 5710 Lux High Spill 116 Lux
Olight T10 with cr123
Level 1 Spot 3460 Lux Level 1 Spill 190 Lux
P3D CE Q5 with cr123
Turbo Spot 3920 Lux Turbo Spill 127 Lux

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a R123 will over drive the L1 (maybe fine), so it will exceed Surefire's Lumens spec. If you use a CR123 you'll be more around the 65 lumen range. However, with an optic you can get a lot of throw from a LED, even if it isn't putting out that many lumens.

You need a bounce box set up to try and take a reading of the total light coming out of the lights. The intensity of the hot spot has more to do with the design of the optic, the size of the reflector, etc.

Last edited:

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
Yeah, thanks Wade, I didn't even consider that being a factor :laughing:.

I would use rcr123s if I got the L1. Looking at the runtime with rcr123s, its not very good on high. I think I'm going to do a little waiting and see how things turn out.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low output looks very impressive at 509 lux and running over 17 hours!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to try a AW R123 in my L1, but I'm waiting to see if anyone experiences any problems from doing so. :) I guess if I did fry it I could send it over to Milky for an upgrade. :)

Juicespeare1

Newly Enlightened
I have a new SF L1 CREE, a couple of Fenix P2D (a P4 and a Q2 model) and a Fenix T1.

The SF L1 CREE on high is just as bright as the Fenix P2D P4 and Q2 models on turbo if not brighter. The SF L1 CREE on high is very nice.

The SF L1 CREE on high is not as bright as the T1 on high.

My SF L1 CREE has replaced my Fenix T1 as EDC mainly due to size and ease of carry compared to the T1.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SF L1 on HIGH doesn't put out as many lumens as my Fenix P2D Q2 in my bounce box, but the SF L1 has a brighter hot spot and will out throw my P2D.