Ultrafire C3 voltage boost circuit gone kaput?

jrminky

Newly Enlightened
(ugh, the forum seems to have devoured my formatting...apologies)

Hi. Used my single-mode C3 for about 30 minutes during a power outage Saturday night. Sunday morning, I accidentally dropped it about 18 inches onto pavement. Not a large drop but a drop nonetheless. Afterwards, the light seemed to function fine. I thought nothing more about it. Sunday night, however, I noticed that the LED was very, very dim.

After some investigation, I determined the following:
1xAA (NiMH or Alkaline): nothing
2xAA NiMH: very dim (tried several pairs of fresh batteries)
2xAA Alkaline: normal brightness
3xAA NiMH jimmy-rigged with wire: normal brightness

This suggests to me that something has happened to the light's voltage boost circuit. Has anybody seen this behavior? Is it fixable for cheap or would the replacement parts cost roughly as much as a new C3? Jimmie

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
This suggests to me that something has happened to the light's voltage boost circuit. Has anybody seen this behavior? Is it fixable for cheap or would the replacement parts cost roughly as much as a new C3? Jimmie

Well, the easy way would be to get another $4 extension tube, and run it 3xAA NiMH constantly.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt its the circuit, even direct driving a cree with two fresh AA alkalines should give you quite a bright light...

did you bypass the swtich?

Crenshaw

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The circut might have broken or a solder joint(or any contact point) might have come loose, or else it should light on 1 AA battery.

What you have sounds like a direct drive light. Try to get a replacement(if you didn't get it too long ago), use this as a reason to buy a brighter/better light, or use it as a reason for a mod.