P3D mod to use UltraFire protected batteries

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
OK, I searched, but could find nothing about this.

I have the UltraFire unprotected RCR123's, and they're a little long for the P3D. What happens is the metal ring in the tail cap cannot make contact with the end of the battery tube as it needs to.

There must be a simple way to extend this contact. I temporarily put a piece of tinfoil in there, but it's not a solution.

I can loosen the head enough so that the tail cap can be fully tightened, then I have my low, med and high modes, but the head cannot tighten down enough for turbo.

Any suggestions, :thinking: (besides purchasing shorter batts.)

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: P3D batt mod?

Paperclip between the retaining ring and body, or put an extra oring under the switch (take it apart, put between the switch and boot), which will move the retaining ring closer to the body, but about the thickness of the oring. An appropriately sized washer would also work here.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
Re: P3D batt mod?

Paperclip between the retaining ring and body, or put an extra oring under the switch (take it apart, put between the switch and boot), which will move the retaining ring closer to the body, but about the thickness of the oring. An appropriately sized washer would also work here.
The paperclip might work, but just like the tin foil, it's not a permanent solution because the clip only needs to move a tiny amount and it will be causing contact. I don't want to risk the light coming on unknown to me if it's bumped a bit.

The o-ring wouldn't work because bringing the retaining ring closer isn't possible, the batteries are sticking out of the tube about 1/16".

A washer would possibly work, but it would require a lot of modifying.It would have to be the right diameter, and only a 1/16" wide, otherwise it too would be making contact with the batts.

Bill

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
Re: P3D mod for protected batteries?

OK, so what I did was take the thin metal ring from a cheap lanyard, and bent it into a circle that matches the inside diameter of the tail cap. This then sits on the tail cap retaining ring to fill in the gap between the ring and the battery tube end.

It seems to be working perfectly. I can now use my protected UltraFire batteries. I assume the same mod would work for the TrustFire batteries too, as I believe they're the same size.

I know several people have been upset that they can't use these batteries in their P3D's, so maybe this will work for us.

If anyone knows another solution, please share it.

Bill

Marduke

Flashaholic

OK, so what I did was take the thin metal ring from a cheap lanyard, and bent it into a circle that matches the inside diameter of the tail cap. This then sits on the tail cap retaining ring to fill in the gap between the ring and the battery tube end.

It seems to be working perfectly. I can now use my protected UltraFire batteries. I assume the same mod would work for the TrustFire batteries too, as I believe they're the same size.

I know several people have been upset that they can't use these batteries in their P3D's, so maybe this will work for us.

Bill

That's the same as the paperclip spacer, bending it into a complete circle one or more layers thick and it fills the gap.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened

That's the same as the paperclip spacer, bending it into a complete circle one or more layers thick and it fills the gap.
Except the paper clip is a lot thicker and harder to get into a circle. I was afraid that if it wasn't a nice circle, it would cause contact with the battery.

Another option I considered was removing some of the anodizing on the threads so the tube could make contact with the tail without having to touch the retaining ring. I still think this method might be a better solution, but I wasn't sure how to nicely bare the threads without risk of ruining them.

Bill

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened

The ring has been working fine, but I'd like to make a more permanent solution of removing some anodizing from the threads of the tube and tail cap. So the question is, what's the best way to do this without risk of ruining any threads?

Bill

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill
I bought some AW RCR123's, they work perfectly. I also have both Trustfire and Ultafire. They are too long for most lights. If you can get them to work they compress the springs too far and put considerable pressure an the circuit board(both pill and protection circuit).

Last edited:

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened

Maybe you guys are right and I should just bite the bullet. I was trying to save a few bucks, but it might not be worth it in the long run.

Thanks,
Bill