I want LiFePO4 10440 (AAA) lithium-ions for L0D-CEs!

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Hey fellow light jedis,

I just picked up a L0D-CE Q4 olive, and it's quite nice. Too bad it's PWM, but that's a pretty well beaten horse.

Anyways, I've been using LiFePO4 CR123a's in my various bike lights and they are quite excellent: rugged, unprotected but safe, sustain extremely high discharge rates, 600% more charge cycles than regular lithium-ions... you know the drill.

I've seen LiFePO4 cells for CR123, AA, and 18650 sizes, but still nothing for the 10440 (AAA) size.

It seems like the perfect use of the LiFePO4 technology: with the very high drain rate on the L0D-CE (some would say dangerously so for regular lithium-ions), a safe LiFePO4 cell would be perfect. Plus, you wouldn't need protection circuits, and the rugged nature of the cell would make it safer for banging around on a keychain. Finally, the lower 3.3 volt operating voltage of the LiFePO4 cells would be a better fit for the boost regulators in in L0D-type lighs.

(LiFeP04, LiFePO, LiFePO4, etc. cells aren't the same as lithium polymer/LiPo)

Who else wants some? AW or DealExtreme, make us happy! :)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt they are made in that small of a size due to the fact that energy density is so much lower. Most of the LiFeP04 that's been done so far are large high-current cells meant for RC or power tools. There are few commercial applications with power demands similar to our keychains EDC flashlights to warrant making such a small LiFePO4.

I believe the 10440s are around 350mAh capacity at most. LiFePO4 typically runs about 40% lower in capacity for a given size, so at most 200mAh (possibly much less) would be expected.

At this point, I ended up using a LF2 which has regulation and protection for 10440 built into the light.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Fallingwater, I guess you like LiIon, which is nice, but *I* really want LiFePO4 :p

NetKidz, thanks for the constructive info! 180 mah is fine for a keychain light, and I'd be comfortable giving the LiFePO4 cell to people who aren't trained in the ways of lithium-ion babysitting.

Now, I just gotta find someone who will sell me these! http://www.xxzkkj.com/English/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=177