The Home Office have issued stockpiling advice

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
The Government have issued stockpiling advice, Included in the stockpile should be bottled water, tinned food, torches and batteries. Do they know something that we don't know about?Some sources have said that if retaliation came to England it would be energy and communications.Petrol shortages would hit at everyday life most. But, we can only legaslly store 5 gallons or 20 litres of fuel on household premises. This would give limited mileage in a car, or about 400 miles on a motorbike.If power goes out, not only do we need light, but heat and communication.So, I would add a battery-powered TV and Radio to the list. (These are available for about £30 these days).What types of torches would you use and keep?Large torches (D Cell batteries) will give exceptional battery life. Also, the type of battery should have a long shelf life.If an energy crisis does come, I will make available any stock torches I have to friends, neighbours and the elderly nearby. This type of crisis is where we torchaholics can offer real practical help.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 gallons of fuel?? Is that all kinds together, or per type (propane, butane, petrol, etc.)??

Here in the Most Evil Empire (USA), retaliation is more likely to be in the form of something(s) much nastier than shortages. After all, most foriegn countries have a deep and abiding hatred towards the USA and all Americans. No surprise, with all of the meddling the Corporate owned 'government' has engaged in over all these years.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Empowertorch, got all that stuff, including the 5 gallons of gas. (Make sure you use and replenish the gas within six months since the stuff goes bad without adding preservative) Its a good idea to have a means of living without leaving your house for a couple weeks no matter what the international situation is. Life happens. Here in Michigan for instance we have to worry about freak snowfalls, tornados and floods. In other areas of our country they face potential earthquakes, hurricanes, and an assortment of Mother Nature's other tantrums. Heck, just a few weeks ago it got so cold that pipes to our area froze. It was water that I had on hand that made getting off to work and school shaved, brushed, and coffee'd much more pleasant.

The food part is easy, lots of cans of stuff you won't mind eating raw if you have to. No stuff that requires water to make (like macaroni) since you need your water. Throw in vitamins to stave off scurvy and other deficiencies during your emergency. Also have a supply of your favorite medicine. Besides necessary prescriptions, stuff like Childrens Motrin will be worth gold to homebound parents of a feverish child.

I have a wind up radio for incoming communications, been meaning to replace it with a shortwave capable model. Lighting is covered by a D-batt powered Lightwave 4000 and fluorescent tube lantern with a stockpile of 20 batts allowing a change of each twice, an oil lamp with oil supply, and assorted candles. You can pick up the unscented three wick blocks pretty cheap if you look and the light they give is more than sufficient. Water is stored in used milk jugs as they become available.

I have wood stored for about a week of fire, obviously if we need it we'll be living bundled up in the living room since its insufficient to heat the house. You need to plan for a means of using the toilet. Without water, no flushing. A ditch behind my house provides us with flushing water in a pinch, but lacking that you might want to consider a portable toilet or other means. Unpleasant but a necessity if you are going to be penned up with no water for any length of time. After you take care of the important stuff look for ways of making yourself more comfortable: battery operated alarm clock, board games etc.

These are just common sense preperations I've taken. Other folks have it down to a science and there's always other techniques and refinement of your own.

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
Heck, just a few weeks ago it got so cold that pipes to our area froze.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, that's true, but a couple days ago it was in the 70s. That's how spring is in Michigan. Before long, I expect more snow, followed immediately by balmy heat.

A couple years ago, we had a day or 2 in the 60s-70s in December. I love this crazy state! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, Michigan Man!I have more than enough torches, but maybe I need to get some food in. Empty Coke bottles can be used tpo stockpile water, and I have a 5 gallon ex army jerrycan.I'm presently considering replacing my motorbike as it isn't unning efficiently at the moment, with something that can do 90mpg or more, maybe a Jialing JH125E or similar.I see the local Pound Shop is selling cans of "emergency petrol" which can run a car or motorbike engine providing it is warm. Maybe they know something that I don't.In addition to the torches I have some good old fashioned oil lamps which run on kerosene, but could be adapted to run on vegatable oil if pushed.A spare car or motorbike battery could be useful to power the TV. Although I take news information with a pinch of salt, it would be useful to be able to take acxtion if advice is being given out.If the phone system holds up, I will still be able to communicate using the web box as this runs of a 6V dc supply.Going back to Charles Bradshaw's reply... I quite agree, the image of the Americans and America as a nation has been seriously blackened by the actions of a few corporations who think that they own America and want to own the world!I cannot say too much but one certain company bought up a huge bulb factory in an Eastern European country which employed 1000s of workers, and then shortly closed it down, economically devastating the area, The people are now forced to buy thier bulbs at a higher price from the US company.I am one who stands for all the great things that America originally stood for...but that which corporate business rides roughshod over when they choose.Freedom is precious.