Looking for rechargable 6P/MC replacement

TopGunWgHs

Newly Enlightened
Hey All, I am a bit frustrated because i had just typed up a long "essay" and list of what i need and it did not send through, so now i am typing another one, hope i don't forget anything...

I have been a member for about a month now, i have a Surefire 6P, MagCharger and 3 MiniMags. I also bout a Bugout Gear q5 230Lumen drop in for the SureFire, a Phillips bulb 500Lumen for the MC and 2 SMJLed's for the MiniMag's. I am very pleased with all of the Lights and Upgrades i have purchased. SMJ's give me insane amount of runtime with decent light, the SureFire gives me better throw than the stock P60L but only 3hrs. and my MagCharger gives AMAZING throw and hot light but for only about 30min.

-I need a replacement Light!

--The light needs to be:
-Rechargable.
-Small enough to carry every day probably under 9", never leave home without it!
-At Least 200Lumens and the Best throw for a rechargable.
-Amazing durability like the SF and MC.
-I like the colour that LED's give off but it seems that Incan. can throw much further, maybe there is a happy medium in there?
-I need a longer runtime, hopefully at least 1hr.
-Hopefully under $200
-Mainly all together, i need the best throw with the longets charge in the smallest package, but it doent need to be 6P small, just small enough to carry everyday without getting in the way or looking too bulky.

-I talked with Northern Lights about continuing my upgrades on the MC to get 1hr or so of just under 1000Lumens, and i might do it, but it is not useable daily, i keep it in the car for when i need it. Now i know finding a light matching all of these needs will be nearly imposible, but more matches the better!

-I have ocme to you guys before and you have allways been very helpfull and again i thank you all!! What do you all have for me this time?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
A few initial thoughts, all of which cost less than $200:

1) Surefire 9AN or 9N. If you want to stick with Surefire's lights, the 9AN is a good option. It's an 8-inch long incandescent light with two different brightness levels: 20 lumens and 140 lumens. (By comparison, your 6P is about 65 lumens). The 9AN's runtime on low is 2 hours; on high, it's 40 minutes. Still, having the "low" option means that you may not need to use the high as often, so 40 minutes may provide you the same utility as a one-level light that runs for an hour. It's tough, easy to recharge, and will stand up to just about anything. Cost: $80-$150 used, $250 new.

2) ROP (Roar of the Pelican) Maglite 2D or 2C mod. The Roar of the Pelican is a modified maglite, housed in either a 2D or a 2C maglite body, that can provide anywhere from 300 to 1000+ lumens. (The name comes from the fact that these mods utilize bulbs made by Pelican.) There are two versions: the ROP high and the ROP low. Using the low bulb, I believe you can eek out roughly 350 lumens for 1.5 hours. With the high bulb, you get 800-1000 lumens for about 25 minutes. The Mag2C form factor is really great for this light. At only 8.5 inches long, it's relatively compact and makes for a great carry-along light. The downside is that you'll need to use lithium-ion batteries for a 2C version, which are a bit less safe than the NiMH batteries used in the 2D version of the ROP. In either case, this mod provides a lot of bang for the buck, and the larger reflector also allows this light to really "throw." The modification isn't terribly hard to do, and you can even buy someone else's pre-made version in CPF's Buy/Sell/Trade forums. If you want more information, just search CPF for "ROP" - there are plenty of threads with good information on this mod. Cost: $75-$175, depending on components, or about $125 to build a basic version on your own.

3) Tiablo A9/Dereelight/Raid Spear/etc. There are a number of LED "thrower" lights. I'm not as familiar with them, so I'm mentioning them only so that you know their names and can look them up to decide if they're right for you. =) When it comes to serious lighting and throw, I'm more of an incan guy...though LEDs are catching up all the time! Cost: ~$80-$100 used, $125 new.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
for EDC you will probably want to avoid the wide turbo bezels found on the "thrower" style LED and incan lights. I know you want throw, but you might want to sacrifice some throw if you want this thing to ride along with you and still be comfortable. The Tiablo A8 is probably the only one in the LED thrower class that might be semi comfortable as a bulky EDC.

based on the size requirements and output requirements and rechargability requirements, look at 1x18650 powered LED lights that use the new Cree LED driven to a decent level. The DereeLight CL1H comes to mind and will probably be your best bet. It isn't the most throwy beast out there but for the small size of the reflector it does throw reasonably well. Runtime is well over an hour. Rated output is like 250 lumens at the emitter, or roughly ~175-200 torch lumens depending on who you ask.

If you want a little more oomf than that, a Wolf-Eyes 9A with a LumensFactory EO-9 aint bad, but won't run for an hour.

For somewhere around $200 (give or take) you could build up a 2x18650 powered light with the EO-9 that would have over an hour runtime. Need to pickup a Leefbody and associated bezel and tailcap and charger and lamp and batteries.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take my 18650ed and Creed 6P over my 9N any time - runtime and felt output (light color)
but if it has to be throw, none of them beats the 9NT - which is nothing that can be called "EDC".

I'm amazed within the 50 meters range the led kicks most any normal light and every light in this small size.

... if You plan on using any light often: rechargeables!
in this size class: 18650
... if 9N, make Your own batt sticks. 1 hour 30 runtime (high) is no problem now.

Kremer

Enlightened
A Tigerlight FBOP meets all your needs and charges in a cradle, unlike the other suggestions so far. And the new series 2 will take the LED drop-in they are going to release.
~Dougk

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am gonna put a plug in for the Tiablo A8 Q5, DBS, and or Spear. It will fall inbetween the two lights you have now for size...closer to the 6P than the MC. And they will fit your needs....