Need help finding replacement Q4 12w China light

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about the tittle, its a little crappy.

I am out of state working on a wireless project for my company until April crawling through 30+ attics 7 days a week. I lost my "12w Super bright USA" DX light (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5435) today in Nebraska somewhere, I've searched my van and the attic of the facility - EVERYWHERE for about 2 hours and almost cried a little as this is my most favorite light that has been my EDC for the last 6 months :(. No matter where I go, I always grab it and people always laugh at me but they end up needing it later.
DX-sku-5435.JPG

I drop this light usually everyday and have even dropped it out my drivers door and ran over it, I modified a small clip so it fits on the side of my pant - pocket so it drops easily. Its froze over night in the snow, its been submerged in 8" of water and the body is bent slightly and even though you cant really tell what it is, it still works perfect like day 1 - altho I had to modify wiring upon receiving it.
It has an Ultra Sensitive clicky which I use well with my tongue to change brightnesses while crawling through attics and terminating patch panels and other handsfree activities. I replace the battery every 3 - 4 weeks with daily use and dont want to really get into a unknown runtime of a higher amperage light, caught in the dark in a cold attic is bad.:candle:

I am in desperate need of this light or something to replace it but I dont know too much about the market. I wrote to DX to see if there was a way of shipping without requiring signature as it can be left at a future facility for me, but havent gotten a reply yet. It does me no good for it to be shipped to my home then returned after 15 days.
Does anyone know of a comparitively bright long runtime multi mode or low/high approx the same weight and size 85 - 95mm CR123 light sold in the USA? I dont really want to wait a month for one to arrive.

I have a "Gree" sku:3343 a 2821 and one of those green 2xAA 3w luxeon walmart $25 POS (which is a waste of money) but they all suck for handsfree but will get me by, I keep my aspherical m@g in the van but never take it out of the case for these projects.
I knew I should have bought 2 or 3 :ohgeez:

If someone has one they are willing to part with I would gladly pay $25 + shipping costs if they would ship it to NE (SD/MN depending on date) care of me. If not, a nice reference link of a 'better' or similar light would do as I know most frown on china lights but at the risk of breaking or losing them daily, they are cost efficient to me.

It is cold and lonely up here living hotel to hotel and now I've lost my little friend, I hope no one ever has to feel what I do at the moment. I dont even care that I have other lights - is this a bad thing to feel for your EDC? haha I am married, but 6 more months and I woulda proposed to my 12w china light :crackup:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the people here can tell you something of equal quality to buy at Target, or another local store.

But, maybe this belongs in the bst forum.

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I agree that there are thousands of people who Could recommend something, what better place to go ask right?? CPF ftw!

I though about bst but I dont have my mind set on that exact model and would like some feedback of similar sized lights like the Fenix P1 or L1D or others that I dont know about. I have searched Target, Walmart, Menards, Lowes, Home Depot and various gas stations/truck stops and none of these places have a CR123 that is small enough for me to want to purchase. I am an impulse light buyer but refuse to buy those terrible bluish tint LED lights. I have a 4AA PP LUX if I want a large light with long runtime, but I'd rather have something small to fit in my mouth for hands free.

I have a cree headlamp as well as streamlight incan but these dont work as a EDC.

Marduke

Flashaholic
For doing lots of works in attics, I would highly recommend just putting the headlamp in your toolbag. It would probably be a lot easier to do the job.

What about a swivel light that you can set down, or clip to something, and aim the head where you want it?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180994
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180431

That is assuming you have NiMH AA's to feed it, or can purchase L91's on the company budget.

If you can purchase CR123's on company money, the only small CR123 light that I know of sold B&M is the Dorcy one sold at Target and Walmart (sometimes).

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Generally DX package does not require signature. If you are happy with the light and its price and think it is a great deal, why not order two, one to be sent to each address?

Or try to check out US based mail-order places such as lighthound, fenix etc. If you see something there, they have very quick shipping.

- Vikas

horizonseeker

Enlightened
It has an Ultra Sensitive clicky which *I use well with my tongue* to change brightnesses while crawling through attics and terminating patch panels and other handsfree activities.

don't really have a good suggestion but just want to say this above section made me lol a little.

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
luckily I save my text since either my connection is timing out or the new server is up to the sites' old ways.
my original post from 7am:

Wow.

Yes I have TWO Headlamps.

Havent found the Dorcy one in the link but thanks for it!

Every Item I've purchased from DX is shipped Registered AirMail because I see no reason to go with $20+ shipping for a $5 light.
This means, when the package arrives at my PAYPAL ADDRESS (only payment they seem to take) and I am not there, they will hold it for 15 days then return it - I know Been there done that. My Post office requires ID and will not forward the package to me in another state unless I change my home address to another state. They also will not hold the overseas packages in a PO Box or let my wife pick them up even with written approval.

This is why I need to find something in the states close, I want this light to fit in the palm of my hand with fist closed. I have one the size of a AA but diameter of CR123 but it doesnt have springs so the contacts tend to not work properly.

Oh and horizonseeker, glad I could entertain you as I wouldnt have included that if I knew no one laugh.

Thanks for your help guys!

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Not that many care, but I decided to update this post.

I threw communications back and forth with DX regarding the light I wanted and how I wanted it shipped but they just didnt understand.
I finally decided to ship it to my company Care Of my boss as I knew their postmaster probably had a routine when dropping off bulk mail.

It came 3 weeks later without a problem and they accepted the shipping clerks signature even though the carrier on my route has to see ID.

I am so happy, it will be overnighted to me tomorrow and I will have my light again, I just hope this one will not be a reject :D I will be home from this project in a month and will have various lights waiting so I dont have this problem in the future.

My little Fenix knock-off from DX upsets me so bad since it has terrible contact issues and no spring, the maintenance guy at my facility actually gave me a old yellow beamed incan to use and said "here is a good light for you". I felt like total crap but then I grabbed my modded Gordon 3D (from Flashcrazy) and carried it around to make myself feel better. My little Q4 gave off almost the same amount of light at that huge SSCP4 does.

I havent even seen a walmart since January here in South Dakota on my route or I would have just picked up some random rayovac :(

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
in DXs checkout you can specify a different address than your paypal address. why dont you send it to a family member or a friend if you're unavailable to pick it up?

ive sent gifts to people from dx using my own paypal account and putting their address in.

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
I have tried this sending it to my sister only one town away (5 miles) and they would not let her sign and it was returned to DX which was her story. I have ordered only 8 or 9 times from them and each time my carrier has stood at my door and waited for me to find my drivers license before he would give it to me. Packages have been left at the post office and even with a phone call to their customer service department, they would not allow my wife (who lives with me) pick it up because it is registered and requires signature from the name on the package, then they were returned (DX refunded me some money in these situations).

As I said, I got around this by using a gift address and putting C/O on the Address #1 line in paypal and it worked fine for shipping to my company.
Packages from ebay shipped express and requiring signature can be signed by my wife or (a couple times) by my neighbor, but hong kong airmail can only be signed by me. I will experiment more with the gift address and DX with my upcoming orders.

If someone has had luck with their carrier on this matter, then good for you but mine is a PITA. I have attempted 3 times to change addresses with DX but only after paypal was sent as there is no other way that I have found, only one time did it actually go where I requested, the other 2 were shipped with my paypal registered address. I've only recently learned of the gift address. Paypal would not allow my wifes name to be included on my account or setup a joint account either. I must be the only one getting the shaft from the P.O.. Trust me, I am not a n00b to shipping as I've tried to get things to my house for the entire 6 months I have been gone and the only problem I run into is DX.

They usually take 8 exchanged emails/posts (on their website) before someone says "oh, I understand and can help you" typically my first question says "I wish to place an order but would like my package shipped to another address other than the paypal registered address, can you help with this?" and I get a reply like "please tell me the order number or tracking number of the package you purchased so we can better assist your question"
Its strange because 4 of the 5 people I have written to seems to speak english really well.
Maybe next time I will say "no order yet, ship to address not paypal when order process?" and perhaps they will understand.

I know this has to be my fault if everyone else doesnt have problems with them. But I will have my light tomorrow and I am getting ready to order a few more to be waiting on my 15 day return to sender grace period when I get back in a month. Timing is critical :D I've tried having other people purchase but wouldnt you know all my women friends owe paypal and most guy friends were kicked off or account is locked for some reason or if they can order, there is some issue with them receiving funds. Great circle of friends huh!

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
If you liked your 18650 light, try this one from Lighthound. I don't think there will be a problem getting it to you -they're in the U.S.- and it's only about 30 bucks, delivered. He'll sell you the 18650's and charger too if you need them. I have one and have ordered another, it takes standard P60 drop-ins if you ever want to upgrade. When they say 150 lumen, they mean 150 lumen.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3154
If you contact them by phone, maybe they can arrange a viable delivery method for you.
Good Luck.
I've had problems with PayPal too, I had to have the credit card company that issued the PayPal card lean on them for me. PayPal just doesn't listen to reason.

I haven't had much problems with the mail. My last P60 drop in from Hong Kong came airmail and was left in my mail lockbox. No signature needed.

Edit: I'm sorry, I initially thought that you had a larger light, now I see that you have the same little green DX Q4 light that I've got. A great little light, very solid build. The above light I suggested is a little larger, brighter and probably less easy to loose. If you ever come through Kansas, PM me, I'll sell you mine. It's pristine and I've replaced it with an Olight. :D

Last edited:

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link, I've been looking at lighthounds stuff for the past month hust havent picked anything yet.

I've asked my Post Office if I opened a lock box if they would still return my mail after 15 days and they said yes unless I physically sign for it. I thought that this was an outrageous claim - dont you need to show photo ID when getting a lockbox? Pretty rediculous to me.

I'm glad someone else had had the little Q4 China light, I am very picky when it comes to people messing with my stuff especially lights and have had a few items walk off, a Fenix would do the job but would hate to see it disappear on me whereas the little $20 light isnt that big of deal. I keep anything expensive in gun cases and they are usually with me just to show off if given an opportunity. I love the sensitivity of the rear clicky and will own a few more of them just as backups. Its really hard for me to change EDCs once I've gotten use to one, I carried the 4AA PP Lux for a year before I upgraded to something smaller. 6 Months more on the china light and I will probably get something new. I have another "gree" china light but its a bit longer and I find myself hitting it on things and hurting my teeth.

Yes, I still have 3 headlamps, but the places that I have to crawl through or wedge into usually will take it off or break it. I dont like changing batteries every day either, I only typically stock up on cheap 123s and not AAAs. I get a day or maybe two out of a headlamp on 3 batteries, but a week or two on a single 123 if it were on the same amount of time, those arent actual battery times obviously but the 123 light is brighter and I only use it when I need light, the 1, 2, 3watt headlamps are like using candles compared to it.

recylcedED, how much brighter/more throw would you say your T20Q5 is over the green Q4?

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
just make sure you put the the persons name in the new address and not yours and you'll be fine.

I've done a lot of that without problems..
The post office will not get your name at all so they can't ask for you to sign it..