What lights do you keep in your car?

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, all,

I've been messing around and have decided on a resonable complement of lights for the car. What do you carry?

Car A is my car, Car B is my wife's.

(1) Look at the roadsign: Brinkmann LX with one spare lamp and either one or two spare sets of batteries.

(2) Long life just in case: RayOVac 2D Swivel Light with TechAss PR2 LED (regulated)

(3) Warning light: USCG rated strobe with amber lens (1D) with one spare D.

(4) General light: Car A: 5D Mag, Car B: 2D RayOVac plastic light.

(5) Car A also has a wired handheld several hundred thousand CP "spotlight" that I don't use that often and have had for a bazillion years.

================

This is in addition to my EDC of E2e and ArcLE and my wife's EDC of MinMag/Nexstar and ArcLE.

================

I expect on LONG trips, I'll have the UKE SL6 with me as well.

Cheers,

Richard

moraino

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlhess:
Hi, all,

I've been messing around and have decided on a resonable complement of lights for the car. What do you carry?

Car A is my car, Car B is my wife's.

(1) Look at the roadsign: Brinkmann LX with one spare lamp and either one or two spare sets of batteries.

(2) Long life just in case: RayOVac 2D Swivel Light with TechAss PR2 LED (regulated)

(3) Warning light: USCG rated strobe with amber lens (1D) with one spare D.

(4) General light: Car A: 5D Mag, Car B: 2D RayOVac plastic light.

(5) Car A also has a wired handheld several hundred thousand CP "spotlight" that I don't use that often and have had for a bazillion years.

================

This is in addition to my EDC of E2e and ArcLE and my wife's EDC of MinMag/Nexstar and ArcLE.

================

I expect on LONG trips, I'll have the UKE SL6 with me as well.

Cheers,

Richard
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard,

Have you compared SL6 with SL4. I sort of remember Mr. Bulk or someone mentioned that SL4 is about the same throw as SL6 due to SL6 has wider beam pattern.

Hopefully someone has both or tried both can verify the above statement or share the experience. Thanks
Henry

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It has been my experience over the years that maglights and non-waterproof lights end up not working when left in the car for too long. I would guess it is the temperature extremes and condensation. I have tossed out several maglights because of this.

I now only leave waterproof lights such as Princeton Tec or Pelican in the car. End of my problems.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X5 and Legend LX. Notice both use lithium batteries. Streamlight polypro 4AA is thrown under the seat "just in case".

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
-PT Attitude
-Brinkman LX

The Attitude will get the most use, but the LX will provide tons of light when needed and the lithium 123 batts be stored for years and are workable in the cold of winter.

RonM

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normal load for my truck:

1) 3D or 4C maglite (in the driver side door panel)
2) PT Attitude (in the center console)
3) Brinkman LX (in the glovebox)
4) Energizer wateproof 4D lantern in the back of the cab with a Dorcy Cool Blue blub in it. Not the brightest but it throws a tight beam several hundred feet with decent falloff for working up close and should run for a week or so if I need it too!!

Surefire E2 and ARC AAA normally are in my pockets, as well as any of a variety of Photons.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
-PT Attitude
-Brinkman LX

The Attitude will get the most use, but the LX will provide tons of light when needed and the lithium 123 batts be stored for years and are workable in the cold of winter.

RonM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think this answers a question that I've had lately. The wife wanted a light for the car, "but nothing too big", just a little something for the glove box. She requested a
AA mini-mag. Then I got a Scorpion that totally impressed her. Want to get one for her (actually give her mine making points for a "sacrifice' of love, and getting another or different to replace).
now I know her habits and that darn light will sit for months without getting used. Was thinking about the 123's shelf life, cause I know from experience that the mini's AA's will drain quick from the heat. Wondering how the 123's will fare.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Flash:
Hmm. I've abused a 2D maglight in my trunk for years. It's outlasted my last car. (225,000mi, RIP :'( ) Three winters of snow, three summers of heatwaves (no AC). Never ran into condensation. What environment is your car in and what condensation troubles have you seen?

rlhess:
I have a jeep with no dome light. (It has no roof.
wink.gif
) I find several LED lights to be indispensible at night. Also, for breakdowns/inspections, I cannot be without a headlamp.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Pretty pedestrian stuff currently rattling around in my Forester:
eternaLight 3
Arc LE (on the keychain)
Mag Solitaire
Black and Decker SnakeLight
Used to have a Mag 5D, but now I can't find it. Guess either an old Pelican SwatLite or Eveready Double Barrel 8 will take it's place.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For the car, I would stay with lithium batteries. Never fails, you don't have a need for the light for months and when you do, it's dead....darn alkalines. A rechargeable light is good too if mount a charger in there.

Daytona

Newly Enlightened
For my car, I used to carry a 3D Maglite with spare batteries, but now I put a Legend LX and a set of 123s in it. (In addition to my EDC E2 and an Inova Microlight on my keychain (nice when you want to light up something when you are sitting in the dark but don't want lights that are as intrusive as a Surefire/LX))

Daytona

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Wondering how the 123's will fare.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Webley - I don't think the heat in a glove compartment will bother a 123, plus even in freezing temps they work fine. Shelf life is 10yrs I think.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
Webley - I don't think the heat in a glove compartment will bother a 123, plus even in freezing temps they work fine. Shelf life is 10yrs I think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love in Fl. and in the summer it gets hot-hot!

smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Like most folks, it seems, I used to have a Maglight in each car. 3-D jobbies in my case. Tough to fit those buggers in the glovebox... How great it was to find this forum, and update all my lights. Now each care has an Arc AAA (that gets used all the time for 95% of my lighting needs). For backup (or picking out street signs), I now carry a UK2L in each car. As bright as my mag, lithium batteries, and so darn small that I bought them in yellow so wouldn't lose them!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webley445:

.....I know from experience that the mini's AA's will drain quick from the heat. Wondering how the 123's will fare.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Webley,

Lithiums (non-rechargeable) are well known for their excellent cold weather performance, but their performance in a hot environment is also impressive. The most common temperature range given is -40 /140F. There is some variation from one manufacturer to another, and also between storage temperature range and operating temperature range, with the latter being somewhat more restricted.

It might be useful to put a thermometer into the glovebox and leave the car in the hot sun for a few hours. If it gets prohibitively hot, you can either use a windshield sun screen or keep the lights in a front door side pocket or even under the seat.

Brightnorm