Small AAA light Running Alkalines with Cree/Seoul/Rebel LED?

gjg

Enlightened
OK folks:
Pulled the trigger on an AAA light for myself - ordered an ArcMania Extreme III. Now looking for one for my dad - but no unique batteries, AAA alks only. I know about the Arcs with a DS, and that's an option. But are there any higher output lights that will fit this description? Don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just 2 or 3 stages would be fine. Somebody has GOT to have experience with these lights that they could share... Oh yeah, < $50 is a critical factor.
THANKS in advance,
Greg :D

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
but no unique batteries, AAA alks only. I know about the Arcs with a DS, and that's an option. But are there any higher output lights that will fit this description?

You can have high output, or the ability to run well on alkalines, but not both. ANY high output light will be not work well on alkaline cells.

It may also be worth talking with him about also spending $20 or less on a smart charger and a few NiMH AAA's

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are only one stage lights, but Peak makes lights with approximately the same quality as Arc but with different brightness/runtime options. Different body materials [brass, SS, HA III] are available also.

Edit: oops, not sure if Peak has a Seoul light that uses AAA

Last edited:

Rogerg

Newly Enlightened
My LF2 has the same interface and works the same as the arcmania. It does fine on any battery chemistry but of course works best on lithium ion.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
OK folks:
Pulled the trigger on an AAA light for myself - ordered an ArcMania Extreme III. Now looking for one for my dad - but no unique batteries, AAA alks only. I know about the Arcs with a DS, and that's an option. But are there any higher output lights that will fit this description? Don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just 2 or 3 stages would be fine. Somebody has GOT to have experience with these lights that they could share... Oh yeah, < $50 is a critical factor.
THANKS in advance,

How about the Fenix L2T 2.0 Rebel? It only has 2 outputs, with the highest one being 140 lumens. I'm thinking about this one myself for the same reasons you mention.

Flic

Enlightened
If alkys are required, I have a few lights to recommend, even if they are not Cree/Seoul/Rebel. Number one would be the Fenix L0P-SE. It is out of production but is available from EliteLED (about $31 plus S&H). It features a 1W Luxeon and offers med-low-high settings and is a good performer. Next is the Fenix L0D with a 3W Luxeon (low $30s). Again, it is out of production, but can be found at Fenix Store (8% CPF discount and free S&H), EliteLED and others. This one is marginal on alkys and has strobe and the rather lame Fenix SOS feature. Last is the great ARC. The new standard CS light (formerly Premium at about $30 plus S&H) is more than I need, but the new DS is noticeably brighter at around $45 (plus S&H). I like all these as gift lights as they are simple to operate, are reasonably priced and have EXCELLENT after sales support.

PS

Just got my Extreme III yesterday. WOW, what a great light! But I cannot imagine giving one as a gift to a non flashaholic. I'm still trying to get all the features mastered. My father-in-law (a retired police chief who thinks M@gs rule) would have thrown in out in two minutes. And if he knew the cost he would still be laughing at me years from now!

Last edited:

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
L2T is a 2xAA light and is not really alkaline friendly.

Oops! I forgot about the AAA requirement in the OP's thread.

BTW, by "not alkaline friendly", I assume you mean that it runs them down faster. As I was thinking about getting one of these, that would be a consideration. Well, how about an L2D (for me)? Is that one alkaline friendly?

As for the OP, I would suggest the River Rock AAA commonly found at Target, if the brightness isn't too big of a factor. Last for 13 hours before batteries go dead, and is well under $50 at only $10. Brightness isn't really too shabby either, at least for general indoor use.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
High output = high power, therefore crappy operations on alkalines.

If your desire for a Cree/Seoul/Rebel is that you want a nice beam with good tint but can accept lower output, go for a Peak Baltic in the XLR power configuration. Output will be comparable to an Arc AAA but the beam should nicer. In the HP configuration, output will be noticably higher, runtime will be a lot shorter than an Arc but maybe still ok for an occasional-use light (e.g. 1 hour at full output if you're lucky). I wouldn't go anything higher than HP.

If you'll accept a larger light, the Peak Pacific in HP with the 1AA pocket body seems like a good choice for this purpose. It's one of the smaller 1AA lights, has pretty good output and nice beam and will run 4+ hours on an AA alkaline before the output starts dropping.

Flic

Enlightened
Oops! I forgot about the AAA requirement in the OP's thread.

BTW, by "not alkaline friendly", I assume you mean that it runs them down faster. As I was thinking about getting one of these, that would be a consideration. Well, how about an L2D (for me)? Is that one alkaline friendly?

As for the OP, I would suggest the River Rock AAA commonly found at Target, if the brightness isn't too big of a factor. Last for 13 hours before batteries go dead, and is well under $50 at only $10. Brightness isn't really too shabby either, at least for general indoor use.

River Rock is a good and cheap alternative.

As for the L2T/L2D, these are my favorite 2xAA lights, but they work MUCH better on NiMH. Alkaline cells run down really quickly on these high output lights. There are some runtime stats in the reviews on flashlightreviews.com and elsewhere on CPF. The L2D is fantastic on Lithium primaries but looses some levels due to the higher voltage.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Is the KaiDomain 1AAA SSC U-bin SX0H Buckle Flashlight an option? Single mode, but only $15 shipped.

Not on alkaline. ANY high power device (including ALL high power LED lights) will SUCK on alkalines.

If you want decent battery life performance on a single AAA alkaline (or even two), you're pretty much limited to about 15 lumens tops.

A simple 2-bay smart charger with a pair of NiMH AAA's is simple to use, and can be had for only $15. Just plug it in, charge it up, use light. Repeat process if the battery dies, or every 30 days, whichever comes first.

Add a pack of LSD NiMH AAA's for less than $10, and it's even easier. Charge, use until dead, replace dead battery with spare, charge dead and store in spare stack until needed.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
how come no one has suggested an LOD? i thought that would be the first choice..$47 dollars shipped...great light..runs fine with alks, 10440 is only a bonus feature.

My only caution to you is that you might end up keeping this light for yourself, so buy two so you actually have soemthing to give your dad.

Crenshaw

paulr

Flashaholic
The L0D is a high powered light that runs terribly with alkalines as is visible from the runtime graphs.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some users might find the performance of high output lights to be acceptable when running from alkaline cells. Alkalines do very much better when discharged in short bursts than they do under continuous high drain. So if you use the light for only short periods at a time with a decent rest period between, you can get a reasonable amount of total energy out of an alkaline cell. This is really the way a lot of us use a small AAA light anyway.

c_c

gjg

Enlightened
I knew there would be trade-offs with this light, just not sure what the best way to do it is. I've kept him in lights over the years - last was an L2D CE and a 4-pack of lithium primaries, to go with the E2e (with LumenCraft bulb...) and a few Streamlights. Now basically l want something for him to EDC, and I know he won't mess with rechargables, and 123 lights are too big. Tint and runtime aren't a big deal, and I guess having multiple levels isn't either. I think throw would be most appreciated by him. Could probably get by on a smaller 1-AA, as long as it's easily pocketable. I'll take a closer look at the various Peaks, and also the L0D with a 3W luxeon. And CC, he likely will use this as a short-burst light. Thanks folks, still open to any other suggestions...
Greg

PS can't freakin' WAIT for the Extreme III to get here...

PSS - how's the throw on the ARC DS??

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you're going to look at a LOD, why with the 3w Luxeon? You'll get more brightness for the same battery performance with the newest Q4 version.

Give him a 12 pack of L92's from Sam's Club with it, and he'll never look back.

jumpin jack flash

Newly Enlightened
OK folks:
THANKS in advance,

gjg,
I can also recommend a Fenix LOD-CE (Q4 version is most current Cree) , which is less than $50. Its best run-time performance is produced by 1.2v nimh's and 1.5v lithiums (alkalines don't really last that long on medium and high, but they certainly work). If you are not going to get set up to recharge, then I think lithiums are the way to go. When you consider they last 2 or more times longer at any given light level than alkalines, and in a much more linear fashion, then their extra cost is somewhat justified. Plus, they are lighter and you have fewer to dispose of. Practically you only really use 3 of its 5 stages because it starts on medium (30 lumens), goes to low (11 lumens) then to high (75 lumens). Strobe and SOS can be used if you cycle to the 4th and 5th stages, but you don't have to so they don't annoy you when you don't need them. Happy light hunting.

Last edited: