More uses for a P60L LED Lamp Assembly - Put it in an 8X/8NX/8AX

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Well, I recently got a used 8X off of BST.

I was looking at the X80 lamp assembly sitting next to one of my P60L LED units.

Then the brain triggered - why not put a P60L into an 8X/8AX/8NX?

So - since the P60L is slightly shorter than the X80, I went out to the garage to get an O-Ring that was about the same diameter as the P60L LA.

Guess what - it works. Not stellar - you get the same basic P60L LED performance you normally do.

You do need to screw the head down just a tad bit more. Since the NiCd battery pack gives about 4.2v or so, it seems to work fine.

So - I'm going to do some runtimes with it to see how well it works (or doesn't work).

-Steve

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Not stellar. If the module had a deeper reflector, you'd get a bit better throw. It's floody and that's about it.

I'm right now looking at trying to mod a pill/reflector combo to make it work. I may even sacrifice an X80 assembly just for it's reflector alone.

-Steve

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I have asked other CPF members pertaining to modding the X80 just by adding led and regulation to the stock reflector. It doesn't play nice with any LEDs you will get donut holes or bright rings. This is because the X80s reflector is optimized for the raised filament. You may need to make a metal pedestal similar to what koala does for the E2E.