Malkoff vs monsterthrow

husky20

Banned
I am getting ready to do my first maglight mod and would appreciate some feedback on these from cpf users.what are the pros and cons of both these units.They both look very promising.:sssh:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the Malkoff would have more throw due to the bigger maglite reflector. the 3 SSC monster throw(I think both are direct drive with a resistor) would have more output.

Both seem to be good units.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
(REVISED)

Malkoff Devices Mag Drop-in

Pros:
1. Really bright for a single LED drop-in (240 lumens at the emitter)
2. Regulated: 8+ hrs of bright and fairly flat output using Alkalines or Rechargeables and then many more hours at lower output
3. Excellent heatsinking
4. Can run on 2-4 cells or 4-6 depending on version
5. Excellent throw of output using the stock reflector (this one actually has "Monster Throw")

Cons:
1. You have to cut the cam of the reflector
2. Some argue that the beam profile using the stock reflector is not usuable (user preference)
3. As mentioned by Valpe Hawkeye, requires some effort to purchase (but I know Gene is working on improving availability)

Elektrolumens Monster Throw Drop-ins

Pros:
1. Multiple configurations available (1 to 4 emitters, so can be really really bright)
2. Direct Drive setup: Less complicated, no driver/circuit to worry about failing
3. Excellent heatsinking and craftsmenship
4. Excellent overall runtime

Cons:
1. Not regulated: Needs NiMH batteries for a constant output curve
2. Requires filing/sanding of top of body tube for negative electrical contact
3. Made for specific battery configurations
4. Decent throw, but not actually "Monster Throw" as its name implies (even Wayne admitted in his forums that the naming was questionable as he stated the name came as an "impulse" rather than what it's suppose to represent
5. Availability is limited on certain versions and others have a window of purchase and construction time.

You could also follow the flashaholic's creed and buy both! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot one con for the Malkoff...

You can't freakin' get one. That is, unless you sit by your computer 24/7 hitting refresh. :shakehead

husky20

Banned
Well i think im going to get the monsterthrow 3.Would apreciate more outside beam shots from owners.Looks like a very nice piece.wonder if it can handle some drops though?allready saw the beam shots on the elektrolumens website looks great.also saw some backyard shots but would love to see more!:paypal:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened

You can't freakin' get one. That is, unless you sit by your computer 24/7 hitting refresh. :shakehead

Not true. :)
I received an e-mail from Gene when he put some up for sale on Monday about 2.30pm. I wanted to get some more for some family members so when I got home at 6PM, I checked and picked up 2 Mag drop-in. He still had some available even after I bought 2.

Thanks

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Elektrolumens Monster Throw Drop-ins

Pros:
1. Multiple configurations available (1 to 4 emitters)
2. Direct Drive setup: Less complicated, no driver/circuit to worry about failing
3. Excellent heatsinking and craftsmenship
4. Excellent overall runtime

Cons:
1. Not regulated: Needs NiMH batteries for a constant output curve.
2. Requires filing/sanding of top of body tube for negative electrical contact
3. Made for specific battery configurations

Hi can anyone help me on this, (sorry to jack the thread) I just bought an Elektrolumens Monster throw IV from the CPFMP. When I installed it on my 3D mag it won't light up at first so I tightened the head, then it lit up, very bright at first then it started to flicker. I thought it's having some connectivity problem. Then I read this post, this might be the solution. What part of the Maglite should I file/ sand?

Aside from the flickering I'm having right now the MT IV is a really great drop in. Very bright flood light, with a ample amount of throw, suitable for area illuminating. As for the Malkoff Mag drop in (single LED), I really like it alot too. I can run it on different battery set up, plus the throw is really great, good for long distance illumination and for blinding someone for 10 seconds!

Like everyone will say go the CPF way.... get both!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi can anyone help me on this, (sorry to jack the thread) I just bought an Elektrolumens Monster throw IV from the CPFMP. When I installed it on my 3D mag it won't light up at first so I tightened the head, then it lit up, very bright at first then it started to flicker. I thought it's having some connectivity problem. Then I read this post, this might be the solution. What part of the Maglite should I file/ sand?

Aside from the flickering I'm having right now the MT IV is a really great drop in. Very bright flood light, with a ample amount of throw, suitable for area illuminating. As for the Malkoff Mag drop in (single LED), I really like it alot too. I can run it on different battery set up, plus the throw is really great, good for long distance illumination and for blinding someone for 10 seconds!

Like everyone will say go the CPF way.... get both!

Yup, the inside of a Mag is anodized and so you have to file/sand off the anodization on the front rim of the body tube so that it makes electrical contact with the drop-in...as that serves as the the negative part of the connection.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
stitch_paradox,

I have a MT-III and I ran into the same problem as you have. There are no instructions shipped with the drop-in.

The advice given above is correct. After some frustration I found some instructions posted on other forum which includes pictures.

Go here and scroll all the way down to post #4. It has photo's to help you understand.
1. Remove the head.
2. Remove the Lens Bezel.
3. Remove the Reflector and install the Module.
4. unscrew the bulb retainer and the bulb.
5. Sand off the anodizing off this end of the mag tube.
6. Install the Plastic Connector.
7. Screw the head back on to the battery tube and you are done.

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Yup, the inside of a Mag is anodized and so you have to file/sand off the anodization on the front rim of the body tube so that it makes electrical contact with the drop-in...as that serves as the the negative part of the connection.

Yes I just did that now my MT IV works mighty fine with out the flickering!

mr.squatch

Enlightened

I've got six of em, all ordered different days :poke:

Even combining in cost and wait time for availability, you still get more than what you pay for with Gene's dropins. In everything from 2c to 6d, by far my favorite Mag LEDs and they just keep getting better. Just got two more p60s from him tonite :D

g

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
the mt3 has an awesome beam and is very bright.
the 3 led and 4 led versions have good throw.
the 4 led has ridiculous spill!

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Id imagine its just the same as it puts the power through.

My MT-IV got posted out on 28th so just waiting on it coming. Wayne is good with his coms by email if you need any advice. As for Malkoff I've not been able to get one, Im in the Uk so time difference doesnt help either for when they go on sale:rolleyes:

Rob