Thanks..I was almost blinded!

North61

Newly Enlightened
I have been lurking for a while now. Thanks for the info I have gleaned from this board I have recently received a BOG Cree drop in for my Surefire 6P.

I also received a Fenix P3D.

Both lights are absolutely fantastic! The throw on the BOG is amazing for such a small light. I cannot believe LED technology has come so far. Unfortunately idiot that I am when playing with the Fenix on non turbo high I looked at the LED shining it in my eye.

Very similar to looking at the mid day sun! I had the coolest yellow and purple spot on my retina for a good 10 minutes. I seem all better now but these babies are really bright. I should know better at nearly 50 years old but there you have it. On turbo or with the BOG it might not have ended well.

On another note my wife has a plastic bodied Surefire (G2) and wants a LED upgrade too. What's my best choice that is bright but won't have heat issues? A high low feature might be nice too. I'll make sure she doesn't shine it in her eyes!

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Welcome aboard the money-pit... I mean flashlight train :D Be careful with flashlights and eyes. I remember when 200 lumens was an unbelievable amount of light. Now that I've seen 10,000 and more, I still love my first led surefires. Great choices for your first torches. Have a good time here, and get a good grip on your wallet!

g

edit: I can't say enough good things about Gene Malkoff's surefire dropins. His full strength one is 235+ lumens, then he has a low output and now a lowlow output that's 80 lumens. All depends on how much light you want her to have access to vs how much runtime. Any are a great option for a g2, heat is not generally a big problem with them because of the rubbery coating. I have six g2's with various led dropins and I can say Gene's are well worth the money.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh. I too got an eyeful of Cree goodness when I turned on my first Cree while staring at the emitter. I was used to my Luxeon I, and while I knew the Cree would be brighter I had no idea just how much. That was a lesson learned. :p

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Yep I nailed myself with an aspheric cree mag a couple months ago. I had a large spot in my eye for several hours. Scared me pretty good. I"m more careful now

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
these threads might be of guidance!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/186080

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173764

I have tried to blind myself with all my lights! Cant know for sure how well it works blinding someone else before you tried it yourselves! :)
I dont want to recommend it, but its what I do. Kinda like you have to try a taser or pepper spray on your selves before you can use it on someone else.

In dark environments strobe really are disorientating! :sick2:

Dantor

Enlightened
:welcome: North61!

You are now a true member having blasted yourself with your new ray gun! I think it's part of the initiation process here;
"First get a new light, open the box, drool, load her up, then blind yourself!" (then come tell your brethren about it!)

North61

Newly Enlightened
these threads might be of guidance!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/186080

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173764

I have tried to blind myself with all my lights! Cant know for sure how well it works blinding someone else before you tried it yourselves! :)
I dont want to recommend it, but its what I do. Kinda like you have to try a taser or pepper spray on your selves before you can use it on someone else.

In dark environments strobe really are disorientating! :sick2:

Thanks a lot and to all others as well. Didn't know that the bright spot was a badge of honor!:mecry:

I just ordered a Wolf Eyes P60 replacement with three light levels and up to 190 Lumens for my wife's light. I am interested in the Malkhov Device but don't have the patience to wait by my computer waiting for the sold out button to go away! Cool name though...like something off of Star Trek!

My wife and I and our kids are avid canoe trippers up here in the NWT and I first bought our Sure Fire's when reading Cliff Jacobson's recomendation.

Apparantly one of his trip mates scared off a bear with his so he bought one.
I followed suit. The LED upgrade make them much better lights though I still bring the 30-30 when we go remote.

This year on the Mackenzie we saw so many black bears we thought we had crashed some kind of convention!

Here was one we passed a bit too close to. Not sure I would have been reaching for the flashlight if he had decided to come aboard!

27072debear.jpg

and here is me and my crew on our big motor canoe (sometimes we cheat with the kids and use a motor) on the way to cross the Great Slave Lake and enter the Mackenzie River system.
27072dehayriver.jpg

These flashlights really seem to suit my love of gadgets and the outdoors. The swedish stove collection may need to take a back seat!

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
Wait by the computer to get a Malkoff M60 It will be well worth it.