Best rechargable AA for EDC light

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
I am sure this has been asked but for some reason I can't find what I am looking for. I have seen people talking about all different kinds of rechargeables but I have no clue what people are talking about. I have a Fenix L1D and am getting tired of buying new batteries for it. I would prefer something that could charge 3 or 4 batteries at once. Also, do rechargeables have issues with being partially discharged and then recharged? Would lithium batteries be a good choice?

Thanks for the help.

meuge

Enlightened
I am sure this has been asked but for some reason I can't find what I am looking for. I have seen people talking about all different kinds of rechargeables but I have no clue what people are talking about. I have a Fenix L1D and am getting tired of buying new batteries for it. I would prefer something that could charge 3 or 4 batteries at once. Also, do rechargeables have issues with being partially discharged and then recharged? Would lithium batteries be a good choice?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0REA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

$18

Charger + 4 Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. These are LSD (low self-discharge) batteries, so they only lose about 15% of their charge per year, unlike conventional NiMH.

While they are only 2000mAh, compared to Sanyo's conventional 2700mAh batteries, they still win because of their superb performance under various temperature conditions, high current capability, and low self-discharge.

bspofford

Enlightened
Yesterday I got an e-mail from All-Battery advertising 2300 mAh AA LSD batteries with the Tenergy label. The AAA size is reportedly 1000 mAh. Anybody know if these are overrated? The price including shipping is about $2 each. I already have Eneloop, RayOVac, and Duracell LSD 2000 mAh AA batteries, but I don't know if one is superior to the other.

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
Are there AA lithium ion or polymer batteries that are rechargeable? If so, what do they cost and are they worth it?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there AA lithium ion or polymer batteries that are rechargeable?
They are AA sized but not technically AA cells because they have a higher voltage (3.7-4.2V instead of 1.2-1.5V). Your call on whether that's a good thing.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Can the Fenix lights handle that kind of voltage and still operate normally?

Depends on the light

on Li-Ion cells, the L1D will loose the lower modes, and all modes will be turbo (and turbo strobe)

On 3.0v LiFePO4 cells, you get amazing brightness, and it keeps the low modes. It's essentially as bright as the L2D on turbo.

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
I ordered 2 8-packs of eneloops from amazon.com back before xmas for $15 each and they just now shipped them yesterday. So... they're back in stock I reckon.

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
On 3.0v LiFePO4 cells, you get amazing brightness, and it keeps the low modes. It's essentially as bright as the L2D on turbo.

So then if I was to run the LiFePO4 batteries in an L1D I would still have all the normal brightness levels? What is the disadvantage to running these batteries?

gunga

Flashaholic
You get pretty low capacity on LiFEPO4 batteries.

They are not protected as well, tho their chemistry is pretty tough.

I found (on the older P2D CEs) that I only got medium/medium (not low/medium) modes until the voltage dropped a bunch (and a of course a bunch of cell capacity!). So it's not perfect. Might work better on Q5 crees (known to have higher Vf, often).

Can anyone point to a good source along with a decent charger for them?

William_H

Newly Enlightened
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0REA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

$18

Charger + 4 Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. These are LSD (low self-discharge) batteries, so they only lose about 15% of their charge per year, unlike conventional NiMH.

While they are only 2000mAh, compared to Sanyo's conventional 2700mAh batteries, they still win because of their superb performance under various temperature conditions, high current capability, and low self-discharge.

Would these be ok for general use? Remotes, digital camera, etc?

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Another vote for Eneloops. I have the Rayovac Hybrids, the new Duracell LSD as well, but Eneloops are still my favs.

Not only are they in all my torches, but in my RC car radios as well!

Centropolis

Enlightened
I only have the Rayovac Hydrids. They seems fine to me. I have not compared them to anything else. THey're cheap enough for me to give them a try. They were only $8 for 4 AAs at a Canadian Walmart.