MythBusters dude doesn't like 123A LED flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalskey

Enlightened
Saw this on Digg and couldn't find any posts about it on CPF.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4243994.html?page=2

Flashlights and other small electrical devices that run on exotic batteries.

I have a lovely little LED flashlight called the Fenix that puts out 1 watt, uses a single AA battery and lasts for months of use. If you look around, most similar flashlights on the market use lithium or other expensive batteries. The catch? Unless you need a high-intensity beam, they don't work any better or last any longer than mine does. I'd be happier if compact LED flashlights that require $13 batteries had never become so mainstream.

winger

Newly Enlightened
well, dude has a point. why spend $13 on a battery IF you can get same output from a rechargeable AAA battery?

BTW, I guess the fellow is buying his 123 batteries from Safeway or the local grocery market? Why else would anyone spend $13 on say two 123 batteries???

JPasquini

Newly Enlightened
"I'd be happier if compact LED flashlights that require $13 batteries had never become so mainstream."

Wow, I wonder where he's buying his 123s from?? :laughing: So much for comparative shopping.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a lovely little LED flashlight called the Fenix that puts out 1 watt, uses a single AA battery and lasts for months of use. If you look around, most similar flashlights on the market use lithium or other expensive batteries. The catch? Unless you need a high-intensity beam, they don't work any better or last any longer than mine does. I'd be happier if compact LED flashlights that require $13 batteries had never become so mainstream.

Something to realize - and this is important - is this;

Jamie Hyneman is an intelligent and talented dude, but he DOES NOT ALWAYS KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT! :nana:

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened

Jamie Hyneman is an intelligent and talented dude, but he DOES NOT ALWAYS KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT! :nana:

Most definitely. Usually intelligent people go wrong when they try to do or say something they're not entirely familar with. I would rather not say anything than say something with an uninformed opinion.

g_lover

Newly Enlightened
I don't post here much. I Have lots more lurking and learning to do.
I had to post this though. Here in Australia, no matter WHERE you buy from. Brick and mortar stores sell CR123's for $12ea. It makes me seethe just thinking about it.

CR123A's from fenix-store are my choice. Cheap, freeeee shipping <:^) and extremely fast delivery times. I bought a p3d just before christmas (must've got one of the last naturals) and it was here within the week.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
$13 is a fact, if you buy from santa monica pier shops. I know because I had to, but since I wasn being reimbursed in full, it wasn't too bad, still quite a bit of sticker shock though.

I edc AA lights so no 123 on hand.

cv3po

Banned

Wellllllllll..............the fact that we sometimes forget here on the forums is that many folks ( the majority?) who buy lights at B&M stores also buy batt's from B&M stores. Not everyone buys online. Lithium's are expensive at these stores. Alkalines, and rechargeable NiMH's are much cheaper at these stores. I think that was his point. I don't see much point of 123's either now that AA and AAA torches are where they are.

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wellllllllll..............the fact that we sometimes forget here on the forums is that many folks ( the majority?) who buy lights at B&M stores also buy batt's from B&M stores. Not everyone buys online. Lithium's are expensive at these stores. Alkalines, and rechargeable NiMH's are much cheaper at these stores. I think that was his point. I don't see much point of 123's either now that AAA and AA torches are where they are.

Again, proving that he's clueless in this instance. Has he never bought online and noticed the savings there? Would it not occur to him that similar savings could be found in batteries? And a CR123 can be had for about $1 - about the same as a lithium AA. Check Battery Junction for both prices. No advantage there.

Sure an alkaline is cheaper. But you can't get the high level of output from one that you can from a CR123. If he doesn't need that, fine! I use AA lights too. But his 1 AA 1W Fenix isn't going to beat out a well designed single CR123 light. And it for sure won't be outputting 1W for long.

And now I've wandered from the point, sorry :)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Carpenter points out, this is already being discussed in another thread. Thread closed. Please continue discussion in the thread link posted above by Carpenter. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.