Anyone interested in an SF X80 compatible LED drop-in?

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I'm just curious - would there be any interest in an X80 LED type Lamp Assembly compatible drop in?

The reason why I'm asking is this - I have been looking (and reviewing) OpticsHQ/TLS' E1 dropin.

Since the E1 drop in will accept the same voltage as the X80 assembly, it should last about the same length of time (and I haven't tested it yet - but will).

I'm about ready to Frankenstein something together for testing once I find a reflector that I can sacrifice to the testing gods. And I'll explain why in a bit once I get back home and can do some pics tonight.

The sad part is that it may not be totally capable to do so unless heat sinks/circuit board drivers/pills get a tad bit smaller. They have to be the same diameter as the P60/X80/R30 diameter of the base itself...and I don't know if that's doable.

I have taken a P60L LED Assembly from Surefire and made it work. It's not as bright, it's not as good (it seems to run direct drive for 58 minutes only), and its floodier than the X80. But it works.

Theoretically, one should be able to take an SSC or Cree plus a 1x123 driver board and make it all work. The catch is that most driver boards and their associated heat sinks are larger in diameter. I have arced a B90 battery trying out something other than the P60L....so tolerances have to be P60/X80 sized in the spring contact area for it to work right.

So - I've seen only one attempt on CPF to do this. Is it not worth it, or is it just too difficult?

-Steve

USM0083

Enlightened
Steve,

I would be somewhat interested, but only as a novelty. I was issued a 8AX and used it for 8 years. It never let me down and is still on it's first lamp. Last year I picked up a Tiablo A8S and carry it instead. It fits the SF leather holster, and provides the runtime, throw and output I wished I always had.

I was trying to find somekind of LED upgrade for the 8AX but only found the one attempt that you mention. I think that the user base of the 8AX is just too small and an upgrade is not cost effective.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an 8NX that I have used regularly for years. I like the feel and size of the Nitrolon body and it's simplicity of operation but it's brightness level has become dated. I have been hoping for some sort of bulb upgrade and would commit to a purchase of something like a Cree Q5 with a nice smooth beam.
There are lots of 8NX's and 8 AX's out there. It would bring new life into the light much like the new P60 and Mag LED dropins have done for those lights.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
As much as the lamps, it's the batteries.....

WHY don't Surefire make a decent NiMH cell for the B90 size lights????

My current work light is an L7, with a SilverFox NiMh battery stick (I think he has more in the pipeline soon).

As with the M6, it would be so much more usable if Surefire would make a decnt factory rechargeable option available for it.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
The sad part is that most of these pills/heat sinks that are generically available are about 11/16ths of an inch in diameter. The stock SF "hole" that the lamp assembly goes through is at least a good 1/8th to 3/16ths smaller.

So - something has to be done to where the majority of the reflector/pill combination is in the reflector side of the head and not the spring side of the head.

I have (admittedly) a OpticsHQ E1 1x123 head that is going back for RMA. While I have it in it's current state of disarray, I had it in my 8X with a spring borrowed from a SF P60 sized generic drop in.

I was able to eek the emitter through the hole into the reflector side.

Now - I also have this OpticsHQ 2x123 P60 lamp assembly who's pill is off centered. I was going to wait until they all got back from SHOT to ask if I can mutilate this reflector to make it fit.

If I can, then I'm going to saw the threaded end of the reflector off and make it fit the emitter. There is, unfortunately, no pill backing to make it work with heat dispersion for any long length of time. So it's not a long term viable solution.

And yes, I have been talking briefly with OpticsHQ to see if they would be willing to have their partner produce one.

-Steve

Beastmaster

Enlightened
There are certain times where incan rules. Stormy weather and the like somewhat forces me to switch away from my Novatac's and my TW4's to my E1e/Lumens Factory bulb and my recently acquired 8x. I get better results.

As for NiMH - SureFire has this tendency to stick with what they know and what's been designed already. Note the B90 series batteries have been around for a LONG time. I don't think we'll see any change to it either.

-Steve

As much as the lamps, it's the batteries.....

WHY don't Surefire make a decent NiMH cell for the B90 size lights????

My current work light is an L7, with a SilverFox NiMh battery stick (I think he has more in the pipeline soon).

As with the M6, it would be so much more usable if Surefire would make a decnt factory rechargeable option available for it.

Offshoreracr

Newly Enlightened
I would be very interested in this as I have 2 8NX lights that I use every day.

Beastmaster........I have 2 or 3 burned out X80's that I can donate if you need them.

Fred

m4a1usr

Enlightened
One of the easiest modifications to these lights is to bore out the head to accept a standard P60. From there you can install what you want. I have modified a stock X80 lamp using just the stock reflector in one of my 8AX lights and modding the rest to LED which is fine if you have the tools and knowledge but there is no one I know of that offers a direct drop in. There just doesn't seem to be enough interest to make it economically viable to spend time and resources offering them for public sales.

Latest posts