Tomahawk GP showed up today (Pics + Beamshot)

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I got my First-Light-USA Tomahawk GP today and I'm diggin it :thumbsup:. I haven't time to really test it out yet but build quality is pretty solid and the HAIII Finish really good. I really like the form factor and control surface. So far I'm pretty impressed and happy to see an inovative light like this being made here in the good ol' USA :twothumbs. Sorry, I forgot to get pics of the clip and 2 finger loops (different sizes to fit diffferent sized hands). Here are some pics, hope you like em.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Size comparison:
07.jpg

Tomahawk GP on left on High, Novatac 120T on right on high. They seem be pretty much the same output (go figure 120 Lumens each). The Novatac beam is a bit whiter. Though you can't really see it in the photo, the FL-USA Tomahawk has a larger corona and a slightly brighter hot spot.
08.jpg

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics and good comparison shots on size. It's smaller than I thought. It does look noticeably brighter or at least a brighter hotspot as I would expect from a larger reflector. Neat light!

rtt

Enlightened
What type of batteries does it use? One or two cells?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dumb question: who's selling these?

Had dinner with SilverFox last night and got to see one of these lights... very nice... I'd like to pickup one to play with but don't know where... :whistle:

BTW, nice photos! :thumbsup:

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
rtt:

The light runs on two 123As. (2 hours on High, Not sure what the run time is on medium but it will go for 60 hours on low which is still pretty decent output.

Milkyspit:

I ordered my light from the manufacturer @ http://www.first-light-usa.com/ It only took a few days for shipping :thumbsup: and customer service was great at responding to my questions before I ordered it.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky,

I have one coming too. So if you ever need to mess around with one, let me know.

MSax

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
rtt:

The light runs on two 123As. (2 hours on High, Not sure what the run time is on medium but it will go for 60 hours on low which is still pretty decent output.

Milkyspit:

I ordered my light from the manufacturer @ http://www.first-light-usa.com/ It only took a few days for shipping :thumbsup: and customer service was great at responding to my questions before I ordered it.

Mention you are a CPF member and get 10% off.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this a fully regulated light (down to 2.7V) and will the Tomahawk accept either 17670, or 18650?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light with the red and green leds as well as the Seoul 120 lumen white looks really cool.
Nice design. unique in many respects.
It is great to see US manufactures create new and cool designs and then go out and make them here instead of shipping the designs to china and having them made there. This light looks a lot like the lunasol one of Don new lights. there is also a strong hint of the surefire multi color led flashlights. The price on the "low end" 80 lumen unit is very reasonable at $129.00.
The form factor this light doesn't seem to that of a 2 cell light. Buy it is. This gives much better runtime and helps with balance with the unique shape of the light. In the images you can See how beefy the head looks to be.
Cool light I may have to buy one. Oh and with 10% off That makes these even more attractive.
Yaesumofo

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Adamlau,

A 17670 battery will fit, but at 4.2 volts you will only have two white levels + the colored LED levels. Oops, I am referring to the MC, but I believe all of these Tomahawk models behave the same.

You can use 2 of the R-CR123 cells.

Tom

chriscoobs

Newly Enlightened
What sort of material is on the shaft? It looks like some sort of foam, will that material wear significantly over time?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd that they don't have more indepth specifications available on the website... like what kind of emitter is being used (Seoul or Cree?). What looks like foam is very likely a grip tape of some kind, or an ABS textured material. I definitely don't think it is foam at this price point.

I really like this light. The combination of colored LED's is very cool and looks quite useful for LEO's. I just don't understand why they felt the need to have four different models... IMHO, I think the strobe function should be available in the first 120 lumens model GP and in the MC (LED) model. It looks like it is available only in the ST model. Maybe it's due to a UI limitation...

Last edited:

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Chriscoobs: I'm not sure what type of material they use on the battery tube. It looks sort of foamy and is grippy and it is a bit soft but quite tough as well. I don't know how it will last over time but it seems pretty high quality and I suppose if it somehow gets warn down you could probably replace it with something else or maybe First-Light might eventually sell OEM replacements. Either way it feels pretty solid.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daylo,

Does the foam grip looks like it can slide over the threads?

Is the foam grip secured or loose?

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Guys, you got me curious. This picture should help. Looks like the foam like grip is layered on top of a rubber core. It looks like it could be removed over the threads but after a little playing around it seems like a pretty high effort ordeal unless maybe some WD-40 or something was used. It's not glued on but it is on there pretty darn well. Unless the light is really used hard in a rough environment every day I can't imagine it would wear through. Hope this helps.
BatteryTube.jpg

Last edited: