Identify the weapon light!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got the newspapers this morning, and saw this on the front page:

fc781be8.jpg

is that a surefire weapon light mounted on the M16 or just a jerry-rigged light? (add .orig.jpg to the url of the photo to see the full sized version)

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever it is it appears to be zip-tied one. And they didn't use the "tactical" black ones either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

EDIT: Any chance the newspaper has a webpage that can supersize the picture?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'm guessing rigged...the zip tie makes it look like it anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a Surefire, a cable tie is all they could probably afford. Nyuk nyuk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
If it's a Surefire, a cable tie is all they could probably afford. Nyuk nyuk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick question...and a bit of topic:

Are the "accesories" on there issued weapons also issued, or are they personal items combined with there issued equipment?

Also, if they are personal items, like lights, laser sights and scopes, do they have to be cleared and approved by higher ranking officers? Or can they pretty much do what they want (to a limit, of course)?

[back on topic]

Whatever is strapped to that gun doesn't look like any traditional flashlight to me. Maybe it is in fact a laser sight...or maybe even a night vision lighting device.

I've seen some night vision video before where friendly troops could easily be identified by "infrared strobes", meaning the strobes can only seen by night vision equipment. Maybe that's what it is. But i don't see why it would be attached to a gun, usually they are attatched high on the shoulder, helmet, or backpack.

Any other guesses? Whatever it is, i hope it's helping him/her to be safe, accurate, and confident. God bless those troops!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way...

That picture brings a happy tear to my eye. All this bull**** i'm hearing about America's cruelty to Iraq, towards there women and children, is all absurd. (but then again, there's only so much I can know from the news).

That picture...man...the guy they are helping is our "ENEMY". And look...we're taking care of him. If anything, i believe, more than ever, that we are on a humanitarian mission, to free Iraq from evil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[I wish there was a saluting smiley. That would be cool]

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm i guessed it was a light of some sort, since a laser sight would have to be mounted in a more secure way than just zip-tie and velcro, unless the velcro and zip-tie is there to further secure it. looks like it'll remain a mystery for now. btw, i don't think i can get a more high-res version of that; the picture was scanned in from my newspaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al: looks like getting a specific unit will be tough, but would you be able to find out which 6-volt surefire personal light using the P60/P61 is the most commonly issued amongst military operators? i'm just curious, thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
They may be 101st Airborne members, if so the extra zip-tie fastener would be a security measure to satisfy a jumpmaster. The jumpmaster's job is to check equipment and oversee the operations involved in any rough deployment (airborne ops like jumps and fast ropes) The jumpmaster is usually a senior NCO of a unit deploying and changes with each mission, they usually insist on double securing equipment from becoming loose or detached during ops as a safety measure. I would think the sight is secured to a piccatinny rail on the handguard also.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts