Finally 300 Lumen Per Watt !!

laur

Newly Enlightened

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully this comes to market sooner than later. Sounds like Cree's will be left in the dust, unless Cree uses this technology in their future LED's. I'm glad a lot of my lights are upgradable. :)

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I told you the next big step was phosphorless, lol. Wow, 80 - 100 CRI. Now the whole "color rendering" criticism will be void, solid state will truly make incan look like a joke, though in terms of sheer output, I doubt anything will ever make a 150 amp carbon arc searchlight (2,100,000 lumens) look like a joke though... he he he

Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
One thing to consider with this LED is they didn't mention the actual max wattage. It might get 300 lm/w , but what if this is only when being driven at 25 mA ???

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice :party:

They say they can fine tune the nanocoating to produce any spectrum they desire. This will give all the benefits of RGB LEDs using a single die. Just imagine in a few years time we'll have 300lm/w LEDs and nano silicon li-ion batteries with 10x the capacity.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to consider with this LED is they didn't mention the actual max wattage. It might get 300 lm/w , but what if this is only when being driven at 25 mA ???

Surely the performance of the blue die would be the determining factor here?

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Point is, when you actually get it up to one watt, it might be putting out far lower than the stated 300 lm/w... Hopefully this is a high power LED and can maintain this luminous efficacy even with 3 watts or more. 3W at 900 lumens would be freakin sweet!

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking more about what this technology is capable of rather than the prototype LED that is mentioned in the article. The efficiency will droop as drive current is increased but is this mainly due to the blue LED die or the nano coating?

We already know that blue dies can hold their efficiency well under higher loads e.g. the Cree XR-E so if the nanocoating is unaffected it may well be possible to produce a 3W LED with 200-300lm/W.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Darn, sure can't get this new technology off my mind. I'm not much affected by the "spoiled kid syndrome" though, I'm still extremely pleased with the LED's we have now, waiting for an R4 from Cree..

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking more about what this technology is capable of rather than the prototype LED that is mentioned in the article. The efficiency will droop as drive current is increased but is this mainly due to the blue LED die or the nano coating?

We already know that blue dies can hold their efficiency well under higher loads e.g. the Cree XR-E so if the nanocoating is unaffected it may well be possible to produce a 3W LED with 200-300lm/W.

I think I'd be happy even if it was only 100-150 lumens per watt.

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
Most emit a "cool" light with a bluish tinge, sometimes called "lunar white", that most people find unattractive in the home. Now researchers have used nanocrystals to create LEDs that give off a warm white light, with efficiency far beyond compact fluorescents.

Is it just me? I think LEDs and there "lunar white" are the purest whitest light we can produce currently. People just think incandescents are white because, it's what's they are used to, and that's what the package says. They are really more of a warm white or ivory.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read an interesting article that combines nanotechnology and LED's.

Here is the URL:
http://technology.newscientist.com/...ms-up-led-light.html?feedId=online-news_rss20

I'm no scientist but it looks like they are replacing the phosphor coating with specially "tuned" nanotubes. This converts the blue light emitted by the LED and to white light more efficiently then a phosphor coating.

laur

This is VERY cool. Thank you for posting this. However it should be in the LED forum.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read an interesting article that combines nanotechnology and LED's.

Here is the URL:
http://technology.newscientist.com/...ms-up-led-light.html?feedId=online-news_rss20

I'm no scientist but it looks like they are replacing the phosphor coating with specially "tuned" nanotubes. This converts the blue light emitted by the LED and to white light more efficiently then a phosphor coating.

laur

+

Combine the 300lm/W with this technology...

http://www.physorg.com/news117212815.html

Nanofest!!!.:eek:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not much affected by the "spoiled kid syndrome"

Here I was thinking we ALL were affected by the "spoiled kid syndrome" on this board! :D ... Me included...:grin2:

I can't wait until new technology gives us 200+ lumens per watt. My non flashaholics chums are flattered by my L2D Q5 when mountainbiking - I can't wait for 450+ lumen L2D sized lights! Bring on the new technology! :twothumbs

Thanks for the link Laur.