First Light Tomahawk MC - First Impressions

The Coach

Enlightened
Had to go hunt down the UPS man, but I got my Tomahawk MC today. I like it!!! :twothumbs Three levels all controlled by a single button on top of the light. Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to use. I'll leave all the technical stuff to the other guys out there. The high is rated at 120 lumens and it looks brighter than my Surefire C3. Here's what you get in the box. A clearly written set of instructions, the light, an extra finger loop (small - the large is installed on the light) and a set of batteries.
IMAG0001.jpg

A picture using the finger loop. The rubber sleeve makes the light very comfortable to hold.
IMAG0003-1.jpg

One for size comparison.
IMAG0004-1.jpg

The business end.
IMAG0006-1.jpg

The view down the battery tube. The threads are very smooth, no grinding.
IMAG0007.jpg

Measurements.
IMAG0009-1.jpg

An exploded view from the instructions.
IMAG0010.jpg

Comparison shot with my other lights. A cheapie (2xAA), Streamlight Sidewinder (2xAA side by side), Pentagon Molle (1xAAA) and the MC (2x123).
IMAG0011-1.jpg

Hanging out with some Surefires and an interloper. The fit and finish is equal to the Surefires. Every thing fits nice and smooth.
IMAG0014.jpg

You can run both LED's at the same time.
IMAG0019.jpg

Here are the reds at full power on the MC and the Kroma. Oddly enough the Kroma looks brighter to my old eyes.
IMAG0020-1.jpg

Finally, the last 3 are beam shots from 3 feet at full power.
IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

According to the instructions, the run times are 2 hours on high, 10 hours on medium and 60 hours on low. Also, their customer service has been excellent.
It comes with a 3 year warranty.
Overall, this is an excellent light. It's a keeper. Now, can't wait for dark. If you have any questions, don't ask, I haven't done this much work since third grade. :faint:
:goodjob: First Light.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coach,

Awesome Pics!! Thanks for posting. I can't wait to get home and pick up mine. It should be here today too.

MSax

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought those were 'C' cell batteries before I saw your handheld shot. Thanks for the overview.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the instructions, the run times are 2 hours on high, 10 hours on medium and 60 hours on low. Also, their customer service has been excellent.
It comes with a 3 year warranty.
Overall, this is an excellent light. It's a keeper. Now, can't wait for dark. If you have any questions, don't ask, I haven't done this much work since third grade. :faint:
:goodjob: First Light.

Is that a Seoul LED in the head of that light?

houtex

Enlightened
I think a light like this is great, kinda like the hideaway knife,a light that holds on to you.Great pics.
Couple of question. Is the grip rough or spongy? Can the bezel be removed easily? Does the finger loop spin around? Not all the way around but how much in each direction?

The Coach

Enlightened
The grip is spongy, like a Hogue pistol grip. I don't know about the bezel, I haven't and probably won't, tried it. I just a buyer-user, not a builder. When I take things apart, they never go back together the same way. The loop will go all the way around.

I read somewhere the LED is a Seoul. :thinking:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the colored LEDS have a low level? If so, how does it compare with the Kroma's low colors in output?

dougie

Enlightened
Any idea of how many lumen's medium and low are? I can't seem to find that information in their literature.

Thanks

D-

The Coach

Enlightened
The Kroma reds look brighter, but the MC has a third level, lower than the low Kroma. Very usable in a dark room.
I have no idea about the medium and low level lumens. The medium looks about the same as the high Kroma. The low is a little brighter than the Kroma and the L1 low.
You would have to email them about rechargeables. I think I remember reading somewhere that the light is made to use primary cells, but I can't remember where. I intend to use primaries only. The manual says "Always use standard CR123 Lithium batteries with this product".

EDIT: SilverFox says you can use RCR123 batteries. :tinfoil: Guess I'd better get that Reading for Dummies book. :devil:

Last edited:

SaVaGe

Enlightened
i Live about 2 1/2 hrs from the place. I called them yesterday and spoke to Pete. Very nice guy and very helpful. I forgot to ask him if we get a CPF discount. DO WE GET A CPF DISCOUNT?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coach,

I got mine yesterday also. I love it! Great little light.

For anyone that's interested, I have a review posted in the reviews section.

MSax

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
i Live about 2 1/2 hrs from the place. I called them yesterday and spoke to Pete. Very nice guy and very helpful. I forgot to ask him if we get a CPF discount. DO WE GET A CPF DISCOUNT?

For the month of February when you order mention the CPF and you will get 10% off.