The Fenix-Store        
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Driver board list / regulator board list.

Default Re: Driver board list / regulator board list.

DX also carries various combinations of the AMC7135 boards.

Might consider adding those for the folks that don't want to deal with KD, but they are easy to find on DX.

I've taken out all the non-working links to KD AMC7135 boards and put in DX equivalents for most of them.

Also added a new link to a KD P7 buck driver.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

I got some of these from KD yesterday: P7 "3 amp" 3-mode driver. $12.01. Buck regulator, 5.5-15.5 V in.

I put one in a 2D Mag and used 6AA eneloop in a mdocod battery holder. Output is almost identical with the simple 8xAMC7135 that KD sell. Output is a bit lower than my Mags driven at 3A when tested in lightbox and throw. So it's a bit lower than 3A on 6 eneloop. I didn't feel any insatiable need to measure mA to led because of the observations in this post.

It has pwm flicker on low so it's about 100 Hz. I notice the pwm on medium but I'm sensitive. No flicker on high.

There's no memory function. It comes on in the next mode next time you turn it on. It also gets warm on 6 AA, on 8AA it gets scorching hot.

It doesn't function with one D LiION, it needs more voltage to work. I don't know how much but with 4.2 Volt=no light.

A one level mod might exist but as the driver relies on switching to a lower output mode for thermal protection (and it gets hot) that might complicate things.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS View Post
    I got some of these from KD yesterday: P7 "3 amp" 3-mode driver. $12.01. Buck regulator, 5.5-15.5 V in.

I put one in a 2D Mag and used 6AA eneloop in a mdocod battery holder. Output is almost identical with the simple 8xAMC7135 that KD sell. Output is a bit lower than my Mags driven at 3A when tested in lightbox and throw. So it's a bit lower than 3A on 6 eneloop. I didn't feel any insatiable need to measure mA to led because of the observations in this post.

It has pwm flicker on low so it's about 100 Hz. I notice the pwm on medium but I'm sensitive. No flicker on high.

There's no memory function. It comes on in the next mode next time you turn it on. It also gets warm on 6 AA, on 8AA it gets scorching hot.

It doesn't function with one D LiION, it needs more voltage to work. I don't know how much but with 4.2 Volt=no light.

A one level mod might exist but as the driver relies on switching to a lower output mode for thermal protection (and it gets hot) that might complicate things.
    That doesn't sound like the perfect driver board. But I will try it on my own anyways. If I don't like I will try the double 1400mA driver boards from DX.

rayman
    My Lights (current EDC: Foursevens Mini MkII Titanium)

Flashaholic*

tag for later reading

I've just done a bit of cleaning up, including promoting several drivers from the to-do list. I also realised I had mixed up DX's AA drivers 7880 and 7882 so the latter is now listed separately, while 7880 and 7881 are the AA/AAA pair of drivers.

Edit: More cleaning up - I managed to mix up the MR-16 drivers and their mains driven counterparts. I'm getting worried now.
    Last edited by TorchBoy; 08-23-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Ian.

Thanks VegasF6, somehow I had missed the 1 amp Badboy. Now added.

FWIW I buy lower priced drivers! To make the list as useful as possible I've included as wide a price range as I thought seemed practical. I know I've left out several $50+ drivers, so to rectify that (no pun intended) I've added a $55 version of the Shark. I think the Xitanium drivers also fall into that price range.

PS. What's the difference between a Shark and a BLUE Shark?
    Last edited by TorchBoy; 08-23-2008 at 04:59 PM.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy View Post
    PS. What's the difference between a Shark and a BLUE Shark?
    according to the shoppe the blue one runs cooler

Thanks J.D. I guess that means it's more efficient.
    Ian.

hm, don't konw if they are more efficient ...

"The next batch of boards will have improved thermal performance and also be blue. The blue Sharks will raise the output voltage to 32V or so. Also, the input current can be up to 3A with proper heatsinking. The max usable on the existing Shark is around 2A on the input.

Wayne"

but if there is less heat generation logically it should be more efficient...

Ah, I do remember seeing a mention that a heatsink was built in. "This Shark has the new copper heatsink soldered on." That would explain why it's cooler.
    Ian.

Thanks for your efforts in compiling and updating this list. Great resource!

Hi Ian,

This supplier is probably of interest to Australian users only.
    http://www.soluscorp.com.au/products2.html
    The mains drivers under their brand-name are local electricity commission approved. I have been advised that Microdrivers do not have local approval - but I haven't verified that information.

Thanks Lux.

"Both 350MA and 700MA versions are available allowing both 1wt and 3wt Luxeons to be driven" - makes me wonder if they know what a unit symbol is. Do they sell retail?
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy
    "Both 350MA and 700MA versions are available allowing both 1wt and 3wt Luxeons to be driven" - makes me wonder if they know what a unit symbol is. Do they sell retail?
    Sort of, they have moved into manufacturing LED fittings/housings etc. Apparently the website is quite old. I bought a PowerLED 8 to use up some orphan LEDs...probably overcautious The unit has their house-label...cost A$35+GST...

Flashaholic

Thanks TorchBoy for this useful list.

A newbie question: can any of these drivers be used to power a Nichia GS LED?
    The Micropuck data sheet says it can "power strings of 5 mm LEDs", but the 350 mA output current is much higher than the 30 mA specified current for the Nichia GS, so I'm puzzled.

Enlightened

Great list of drivers, although I've never scratch built or modified any drivers...yet. I'm disappointed by the general offering of 12V drivers suitable for automotive and RV camping applications. I've searched DX and KD trying to find an afforable 12V driver so I can build LED replacements for my battery killing incadecents that are used in my travel trailer. The price of the start mounted LED's aren't the problem for me, its the drivers. I figure I need a driver that can handle 11.5 to 13 volts, which should be the nearly dead to charging the battery range.
    BTW, I've got 4 single fixtures and about 8 double lamp fixtures I'd like to modify. For the doubles, I would like to use 2 LED's (one for each diffuser lens) and one driver.
    Last edited by 5kids; 08-27-2008 at 08:33 AM.
    6PD with DX Cree drop in *Awesome*, L2D Q5, TK11, PT APEX (My first mod with SSC P4-Thanks CPF!). EDC - FENIX LOD CE & P2 Q5.

Thanks guys, and it's still a work in progress! (Darn KD dead links.)

Cemoi, have you seen a document called MicroPuck-Applications.pdf? It shows the MicroPuck is quite versatile, and can be used as a boost driver, or as a buck driver, or as a buck/boost driver. For each it states that the LEDs must be connected whenever power is applied, and that the setup is suitable for a 1W LED or 15 x 5mm LEDs in parallel. There's no mention of series strings, so the datasheet is wrong or at the least misleading.

5kids, I made a few of my own drivers, but good quality FETs are expensive here, and after I found the inexpensive drivers from DX (and KD) that do just what I want I never looked back. So I now spend my modding time putting lights together or modding my previous mods, rather than building drivers.

I figure an automotive driver should be comfortable over at least the range 10-16V. I've used what used to be called a Kennan from KD to make a very nice car interior light. If I had wanted a lower current than the stock 750 mA I'd replace the 0.27 ohm set resistor with something with a larger value. Higher than 750 mA the efficiency drops.

Sdaly that particular board isn't sold any more but their updated version is. Unfortunately it behaves somewhat differently and the specs are not what the page says. It's more complicated to use than the original and may have trouble at 12 V.

A Kennan variant is used in this P60 drop-in module. It comes with a Cree XR-E R2 so if you want that and the reflector etc it's quite good value. Note, though, that it probably has its output set to 1 amp.

The MR16 base drivers should also work. You won't need the rectifier diodes, so they could be shorted out. Edit: I wonder, though... 12 Vrms AC will be rectified to 17 V DC minus a couple of Schottky diodes, or about 16.4 V DC, give or take... I think it should still work with 12 V DC. Anyone want to run a test to find their limits and efficiency?
    Last edited by TorchBoy; 08-28-2008 at 12:07 AM.
    Ian.

Flashaholic

Cemoi, have you seen a document called MicroPuck-Applications.pdf?
    Yes, I remember reading this document but the 15 x 5mm LEDs in parallel had escaped my attention, thanks for pointing it out.

it states that (...) the setup is suitable for a 1W LED or 15 x 5mm LEDs in parallel.
    OK, it makes more sense WRT the specified 20 mA current for 5 mm LEDs.

Any suggestion for a boost driver for 5 mm LEDs with a Vf=3.5V like the Nichias?

Yeah, that's the document. I must have renamed my copy.

For driving a single 5mm LED from an AA you could make your own Joule Thief. There's even an instruction video on YouTube. I'm still wondering why some Americans pronounce solder as "sodder" but does that sort of thing fit the bill?
    Ian.

Flashaholic

For driving a single 5mm LED from an AA you could make your own Joule Thief.
    Interesting, thanks.
    But I'm worried about "The amazing thing about this circuit is that it will run right down to about 0.35V if left running continuously". This means that if I forget to switch off the light it will ruin the AAA NiMH batteries I plan to use.

On the other hand, I'm surprised such a driver is not available off the shelf. What about the lights using a 5 mm Nichia, powered by a single AAA (e.g. Fenix E01, Streamlight microstream, Arc AAA)?

The idea behind the Joule Thief is that you use it for alkaline cells that are too flat for any other purpose. I have a box of semi-flat alkalines here that occasionally get used for clocks, but I think they're multiplying because clocks use so little power. Like you say, it wouldn't be good for a NiMH cell if you forgot about it for a week.

The trouble with single AA/AAA lights (like this) is that there's very little information about what voltage they run the cell down to, so you're really no better off. Perhaps it would be best to use the Joule Thief and change the cell twice a week (if it's used continuously).

Edit: Wow, 3,000th post. Time flies when you're having fun!
    Last edited by TorchBoy; 08-29-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    Ian.

How different is the joule thief from the SMJLED PR2 bulb that the Sandwich Shoppe sells/sold? If you've seen the innerds of a SMJLED there are a lot of similarities.

I guess no one else has seen the innards of a SMJLED PR2 bulb. I haven't. Perhaps you could post a photo, filibuster.
    Ian.

I guess no one else has seen the innards of a SMJLED PR2 bulb. I haven't. Perhaps you could post a photo, filibuster.
    Sorry 'bout that. Here's a link to another post that shows it torn apart.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=128801

Scroll down about half way through the first post and one of the picts shows labels and info for each part of the circuit.

It looks interesting, but rather different. There are more than twice as many components, for a start.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by 5kids View Post
    ...yet. I'm disappointed by the general offering of 12V drivers suitable for automotive and RV camping applications.
    There was mentioned on the 2nd post a list of drivers from:
    http://www.besthongkong.com/advanced...eywords=driver

The XtraLED models with built in drivers may work for what you are needing.

Quote Originally Posted by filibuster View Post
    The XtraLED models with built in drivers may work for what you are needing.
    Some of those look quite good, or at least useful. I presume RH is the efficiency? (What does RH stand for?) I see they can't space "a lot" properly.
    Ian.

Can we include the info on what driver chips are on-board these things? That's good information.

The MR16 1*3W, 3*1W etc I know are PT4105, I have some here.

I'd really like to know what the KaiDomain P7 3 amp driver has on it. There are 2 ICs there but what are they??

Like 5kids, I'm looking for ones suitable for automotive. As such, "12V" is unclear. Automotive runs up to 14.8V and has the possibility of larger spikes, but 12V may mean =<12V not a 12v car system.

Knowing the driver chip at least gives some idea. The other limiting factors are input capacitor voltage ratings, the inductance & freq used (higher buck ratios create more ripple), and if it uses constant-Toff mode. So it's hard to say from the vaguely described KaiDomain/DealExtreme ads.
    Last edited by Oznog; 09-08-2008 at 02:08 AM.

I agree it's useful information. I've added it to a few of the drivers' info.

The PT4105 is used in the Kennan (of which the first version was one of my favourites). Does that mean the MR16 drivers can cope with the same 5-18 V DC range? (Give or take a bit of voltage drop across the rectifier diodes if they're not shorted out.)

One of my main aims of the list is to make it as useful as possible to end users, so if I can state what the actual input voltage range each board can cope with it makes it clear straight away whether they are suitable for automotive purposes. Mind you, I should mention somewhere what the appropriate range is.
    Last edited by TorchBoy; 09-08-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: "Recommanded" range 5-18 V
    Ian.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast