princeton tec tec40 flashlight? great shootout

lighthead

Newly Enlightened
Hey, If you really want to see a bright , inexpensive , waterproof, light--- try using a xpr-103 xenon bulb. there is none brighter for cost, and waterproofness. LH

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Better use a Kpr-103... I have never had an X or Halogen bulb last very long overdriven.

That said the TEC40 is one of those GOTTA have lights!!! It'll give many MUCH more expensive lights a run for their money and do it CHEAP!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Vortec is the headlamp version of the Tec40 - and it can be dangled around the neck or worn on the head (or hand-held). It rocks like the Tec40 any way you need to use it...

John

dockersguy

Newly Enlightened
PT-40 this light for sure you should buy. My friend has a scorpion and the PT-40 gave it a run for its money. With the buld mod using kpr-103 you, it will definately be brighter and whiter. It uses inexpensive AA batteries, and is relaiable, waterproof, bright, compact and the flashlight itself is cheap compared to other lights that put out about the same amount of light. The beam with the dimpled reflector is awesome, puts out a useful broad beam.BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT....

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I only have 2 words to describe my feelings about the PT Tec 40: GET ONE!!! It is my personal favorite incandescent light. You'll be amazed at the output for such an inexpensive flashlight.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Tec40s and they are some of my main travel and workhorse lights. I found some nice 4.8volt, .53 amp xenon buls that make them throw a lovely Surefire-style bright white spot. I also use some of jbechto's led cluster bulbs in them sometime when I need them for up-close.

I am very eager to here some reports of people running the Everled in them as well. If heat does not become a problem this could be an awesome combination!!!!

lighthead

Newly Enlightened
It would be nice to see a shootout comparison between the p tec40 and pelican m6 and sf e2e. Anybody up for the task ? Should be interesting. LH

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why everyone likes the Tec40. It puts out a tight spot and thats about it. Its secondary spill light is just about nonexistant, making it nice for finding the cat stuck in the tree, but useless for anything closer. And yes, I'm talking about the textured reflector. If it had a bunch more spill light, I'm sure I'd like it alot...

BTW: as far as 4aa lights go, my green Rayovac ($3.50) has a better spot AND better spill light than Tec40. My Dorcy ($3.25) has a broader more useful beam with Magstar bulb, and my black rubber Rayovac ($2.75) puts out an even tighter beam than the Tec40.

Mark

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, my tec 40 puts out a nice wide-ish hotspot, with a wonderful spill.

hmm. does yours have the dimpled reflector? seriously--mine puts out perhaps the most useful beam.

i will try to get a pic and post it...but i have a lot to do right now.

Bob

lighthead

Newly Enlightened
HEy, I've always been a big believer in the " you get what you pay for thing " Don't know much about those $3.50 flashlights but i do know the pt 40 is a WINNER . Nuff Said ! LH

C

Cosmic Superchunk

My Tec 40 came with an "orange peel" finished reflector and throws out a nice beam. Very bright for it's size, rugged, waterproof and best of all, it's cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool shootout. Anyone have enough experience with the PT 40 and the various UKE equivalents (4AA, Q40, etc.) to be able to compare and contrast the beam shape and brightness? thanks!

Joe

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
UK 4AA AS2 compared to TEC 40.

My UK 4AA puts out a lot tighter beam than my Orange Peel TEC 40. It is a somewhat oval shaped beam and not bad at all.

The TEC 40 (mine with KPR103) puts out a BRIGHT, WHITE, flood of light. Down at my buddies place where there isn't much ambient light, my TEC 40 lit up a building at LEAST 200 feet from where I was. My buddy who uses an SL35X saw that and said WOW. He never says that.

As a benefit, the bulb can be changed to anything with a PR base. The UK can not.

I STILL say there is nothing better for the price than a TEC 40!

Another nod to the UK however since it fits in a pocket better than the T40.

As the saying goes, get both!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
The TEC 40 (mine with KPR103) puts out a BRIGHT, WHITE, flood of light. Down at my buddies place where there isn't much ambient light, my TEC 40 lit up a building at LEAST 200 feet from where I was. My buddy who uses an SL35X saw that and said WOW. He never says that.

[/ QUOTE ]

My TEC 40's are excellent lights, (I had one of the first with a faceted reflector) and with KPR103/XPR103 are wonderfully bright and impressive. I've done extensive runtime comparisons of small lights, especially the Tec 40 and the UK 4AA/Mini Q40/2L with alkalines and lithium (2L is lithium only). I did those tests quite a while ago but they're probably still in SEARCH somewhere.

I recently tested the XPR103/KPR103 options ( I agree the Krypton is less likely to blow prematurely) and was once again reminded of the "No Free Lunch" principle. In less than 45 minutes the initially outclassed beams of the three different UK's were brighter than the TEC 40 and remained burning longer and brighter.

Runtime is perhaps more important to me than to some other Flashaholics because I consider all my EDC lights as "what if" lights, which means small, light, bright, tough, waterproof, lithium batteries and the longest possible runtime.

Brightnorm

Darkaway

Enlightened
I use 4x 1/2 AA NiMH cells in my PT 40 with a PT 20 body. Of course, runtime is not my main concern but this configuration is as bright as a regular PT 40 and much more compact.