Fenix P1-CE or LumaPower LM33?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need (well, want? :)) a small light for EDC. I recently picked up a Huntlight FT-02XJ from Lighthound and love it. Seems to be built like a tank, has very good output, and is just the right size for carrying around.

But that bezel (is that what they call a 'strike-bezel'?) is going to tear my dress pant and suit jacket pocket linings all to h--l in short order, I'm afraid. So I need a small, powerful light with a smooth contour to save my threads. I can always drop the FT-02 in my pocket or clip it to my belt of waistband when I'm wearing jeans and a bomber jacket.

I've narrowed it down to, I think the P1-CE, which is available from the Fenix store for about $37 with the CPF discount, and the LM33 from BatteryJunction for about ... uhm $37. I know, I should get both, but my wife will kill me. :)

Looks like Lighthound HAD the P1-CE for $26.95 if you bought two, but they just told me they were all gone, and there ain't no more.

Guess I should have found you guys sooner.

The P1-CE has a nice, simple interface. The LM33 has a nice low level. I've noticed the 'low' on my Huntligh isn't very 'low' but is just about right for 90% of my needs. So do I even want a light with low, if my FT-02XJ 'low' seems just about perfect to me? How low is 'low' on the LM33. Oh...but the LM33 will have increased runtime on low. If I use the low. Arrrggghhhh!

Twisty or clicky? Well, if I can use the twisty with one hand, who cares?

Choices, choices.

Any thoughts?

Saiga

Enlightened
I have both, but haven't carried my P1 since i got my Lm33. I like twisty's better than most folks here, but find the clicky more practical and efficient. The AA's the LM uses are cheaper and more common than the 123's, and the low level on the LM is another plus.The LM is a little larger, but not enough that i've really noticed or cared.If you're unable to follow established CPF protocol and "get both" (read the fine print, you could be on thin ice here) then i'd say go with the LM33.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's a bit of apple vs orange;

The Fenix is quite a bit smaller and has better anodizing with thicker aluminum. It'll have a bit more of a hotspot, and will do roughly an hour and a half before dimming. It's also almost impossible to operate one-handed because of its size.

The LumaPower is lighter, notably bigger, and not quite as well anodized. The beam is more floody, but because it's a multilevel, it'll do a four-hour low. A clicky is always faster to operate than a twisty.

A better comparison would be the LM33 vs the Fenix P2D (single-cell multilevel clicky), but those are $20 more.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had thought of getting an LM33 for me, and an LM31 for my wife. Not that she's into lights, but I mentioned the idea that we ought to have a few around and she seems to think that's not a bad idea, as long as I don't spend too much money, or get too many,... I know she'd appreciate the LM31 taking AAs, we always have a ton on hand including rechargeables for the digital camera, our son's toys, the Mini-Maglite, etc. But I really like the size and feel of the 1xCR123 lights.

And now I'm getting seduced by the simplicity of the P1 CE. And it seems to have a good output (90 lumens) - even allowing for hype, that's probably still pretty good. Oh, wait, so does the LM33. And some of the threads indicate that it seems to be a better build quality than most Fenix lights, and I don't get the impression that the average Fenix is a piece of junk. So I suppose I could get the P1 CE and the LM31. But I just know I'll find that I like HERS better....

Well, perhaps this is the way to go. I know I'd appreciate the solidity of the Fenix vs. the LumaPower. I really like the solid feel of my Huntlight. I'm not looking for a tactical light (I'm not Mr. Tactical, but my Huntlight can serve in that role if ever needed) so even if the twisty is awkward, that won't be such a big deal. But I probably wouldn't like the LM33 as much, if it isn't as chunky or tough as the Fenix.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You could always compromise and get the best of both worlds in one $60 light, a Fenix P2D Q5; 180 lumens on max (literally twice the light for the price of both lights) and a *30+ hour* low, and Fenix quality with the convenience of a single-cell clicky.

You'll have to work your "spousal communication skills", note the discount and not the price, point out the unusually long runtime in case of a power outage, etc...

Fenix P1-CE in dress pants, and Photon Micro Light on key chain is a killer combo when space is a concern.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have P1 CE, LM31 and LM33.

P1 CE gets very seldom used because its single level is IMHO simply too strong for most EDC needs. In case for instance you drop something on the car floor and you switch on P1 you simply get blinded.

You see, I am one of those who think that the usefulness of a light is not measured in yards of throw..... :naughty:

The Lumapower's have a low level that is good for short range applications and their beam is more floody. Don't forget that you can use them both as clickies and as twisties. I prefer LM33 because it is significantly shorter even if you have of course to use 123's and not AA's.

:)

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the P1CE a lot. I don't understand the issue about being too bright to find stuff on a car floor. I find even tremendously bright lights (e.g. the PT Surge in my glovebox) are fine for looking for stuff in a car since the upholstery absorbs a lot of light. They're no good for stuff like reading maps, for which you want a much dimmer light.

The Nautilus is also great but as NA8 says, it could be fatal on marital grounds.