lumen output of Arc AA?

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious,what's the brightness in lumens of the Arc AA?
(I know that my Arc AAA standard is 5.5 lumens,so I'm wondering how much brighter my new Arc AA will appear?).

(Note: I don't have my new Arc AA yet,but hopefully I'll have it soon.)

Update: just received a PM saying my new Arc AA should be sent out on Monday via USPS Priority Mail. (I should hopefully have it by Wednesday or Thursday of next week.That's February 6th or 7th.)

Last edited:

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
I was a little disappointed with the brightness of my AA that I bought. It's not as bright with more of a blue/purple tint compared to my AAA CS with 5.5 lumens. Sorry, can't answer your question as far as the exact lumens number. I still like my AA and won't be getting rid of it, but I was expecting more in terms of brightness. I'm curious to read your experience when you receive yours.

greenLED

Flashaholic
It uses an older BS-rank Nichia (this was state of the art back when the Arc AA's were made)... 4 lumens, IIRC.

paulr

Flashaholic
It was just about the same as the Arc AAA of that era, but maybe with a slightly smoother beam. I think it was supposed to be around 3.3 lumens or something like that. About half as bright as the modern AAA-CS. If you were expecting it to be brighter, sorry to disappoint, but you still have a great classic light that is highly sought after. Think of it as something like the Omega chronograph wristwatch that went to the moon. Yeah, a cheap plastic digital watch from a vending machine will keep better time, but there's more to a great watch than pure accuracy. It's the same weay with flashlights and lumens.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My AA does have a smoother beam than my old AAA std. and it's a bit brighter. I think at that time the AA was supposed to have the same LED as the AAA premiums.

Geoff

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another question: I have a old CMG Infinity Task Light (red LED). Is the Arc AA bigger or smaller than my old Infinity Task Light?

(Side note: I can't wait to get my new Arc AA. It should be arriving on Wednesday,Feb.6,2008.)

22hornet

Enlightened
My AA does have a smoother beam than my old AAA std. and it's a bit brighter. I think at that time the AA was supposed to have the same LED as the AAA premiums.

Geoff
Hello,
That's correct: the better led of the old premium, but not more than 3 to 4 lumens. Besides, the AA should have (mine has) a wider beam, making it like a miniature Surefire L2 :grin2:

Kind regards,
Joris

paulr

Flashaholic
Another question: I have a old CMG Infinity Task Light (red LED). Is the Arc AA bigger or smaller than my old Infinity Task Light?

(Side note: I can't wait to get my new Arc AA. It should be arriving on Wednesday,Feb.6,2008.)

The Arc is a little bit smaller if you measure it, but it feels a lot smaller. It is really a beautiful design. The CMG is built like a tank while the Arc is just the minimum necessary.

tnuckels

Enlightened
It's too bad that fondness doesn't really = lumens, else I'd have a real barn burner in my old Arc AA. I own only two, an Arc AAA-P and the Arc AA.

My faulty recollection is that they were both 3 lumen (conservatively rated by Peter), but the bigger AA head you got a bit different beam shape, and of course the AA gave longer runtimes. IIRC, the AAA-P LEDs were hand picked for their better tint (read: less angry blue) but the AA got the same Nichia BS as the AAA standard, all three being 3 lumen LEDs, just sorted for tint. With different LED bins available, variations within LED bins, and I think even some variation in output from different builds of the same driver circuit, there's a lot of combinations possible and range of results.

Firing up both with the similar voltage batteries at the same distance from an old camera light meter, output for the two lights are nearly identical, with the AA a touch ahead, but this might only be due to the .15v advantage its fresher batteries give it. Comparing them both on ye-olde white wall, the AAA looks almost white compared to the very blue AA … till you turn on a white light for comparison.

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
arc0002.jpg

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my new Arc AA today. Quite pleased with it. I can't wait for nighttime to test out my new Arc.(taking our yellow Lab Alfie out on a walk...)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like I'm hijacking this thread, so I hope the OP doesn't mind me asking; does anybody else want to see a new Arc AA come out? 5mm LEDs have gone a long way (DS, GS), and a new AA built in the Arc tradition would really kick ***. So, anybody else?

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
"I feel like I'm hijacking this thread, so I hope the OP doesn't mind me asking; does anybody else want to see a new Arc AA come out? 5mm LEDs have gone a long way (DS, GS), and a new AA built in the Arc tradition would really kick ***. So, anybody else?"

Absolutely!! :sick2:
I still prefer the 5mm lights for pocket carry. There is no reflector or lense to break and I like the flood light for use as a task light. If I want a barn burner I'll break out the Malkoff.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow..the battery life on this Arc AA is amazing. Just swapped batteries for the first time.(Installed a new Kirkland alkaline AA).This after exactly 2 weeks of intermittent use.(I received my Arc AA on Feb.7,2008. It's now Feb.21,2008.)

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys are crazy, I think the AA takes away the pocketability and keychain use of the light