aaa edc

basill

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix Lod on my keyring. I think its about perfect for that application. But I would like recommendations for a replacement for the rather old AAA minimag I keep in the side pocket of my Leatherman Charge holster.
The Minimag is noticeably slimmer than the fenix but now dim as a toc H lamp in comparison. What might be a good upgrade? One of my first `good` lights was a Streamlight stylus, lovely and slim but sadly left in a machine at a customers. I`m looking for slim 2aaa and bright!

Ideas?

Cheers,

B

Ps Love it here, until I found you lot I thought I might be the only one who liked torches

Last edited:

LowTEC

Enlightened
it is no 2aaa but it is one hell of a bright single aaa, search for KD SSC AAA, I've got one, and I just ordered 2 more :laughing:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm guessing you have the L0D and not the L0D-CE.

You might want to get a LED drop-in for the Soli. It won't make it amazingly bright but would make it a good backup light.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
You're talking about a 2aaa minimag replacement? Try a Peak Fujiyama or maybe Pacific with a 2aaa body. The one you really want is the Baltic (smaller head than the Pacific) but I'm not sure if they make a 2aaa body for it.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my L0D CE, (even though it's not a Q4) . It ROCKS on 10440s.:naughty: This being said, the new Streamlight AAA is a tough little workhorse. it's about half the price of the L0D CE.

basill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, the Peaks look very nice.
Lots of these small lights have flats machined into the cases making them a bit fatter overall than the rather elegant 2aaa minimag.
The L0d is an rb80 and I do like it very much.
I wonder if I should relegate the old L0D to the Leatherman pouch and get a L0D Q4 and some 10440s for my pocket?:thinking:

Cheers,

B

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
although the PWM from the fenix lights may not bother you, there is another GREAT light out there! I dont hear about it very much. It is the Liteflux 2.

If you decide to use the light with 10440 cells, the Liteflux 2 has over discharge protection, which can help you from over discharging the Li-Ion cell. Also, another thing that is not good is the amount of current that it will draw.

I'm not too up to date on these things, but iirc, the Fenix L0D CE with Li-Ion will probably go into direct drive, which may draw as much as 1000 mA from the cell. Really, if you are discharging the cell at rates above 1C, you may be causing damage to the battery. In direct drive, the L0D CE will draw almost 3C! That can not be good for the battery.

With the LF2, you can also set the level. Alothough there are essentially only two modes (p1 and p2) that you can access quickly, you may set these to what ever level you want. For example, P1 could be a low low, probably around a lumen or so. P2 could be a high high (with Lithium Ion, you would probably NOT want to set it to 100%, maybe 50% or so).

After you program the light, there is no need to fiddle with it anymore, unless you would like to change the settings once again.

And it is not a good idea to carry bare lithium ion cells in your pocket, as they may short against things.

I have had both a L0D CE and an extreme III (which uses the LF2 Light engine), and i would NEVER go back to the L0D CE. I was so sure of this that i gave the L0D CE to my father =)

They are around the same levels of maximum brightness, however, the fenix is probably a tad more efficient, as well as a tad brighter. My L0D CE was actually dimmer than my extreme III, BUT this is acceptable, because it used an earlier bin of xre emitters.

The LF2 can operate off of Li-Ion more safely, and if you utilize it's function's properly, should greatly improve the longevity of the Li-Ion cell!

todo

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the same lodce for more than a year. It has seen nothing but lithium 10440's, and has gone thru hundreds of charges. The surfire boys like to talk up their surfire lights as bullet proof, The LOD is bulletproof as well.LOL

I looked breifly at the LF2 , found enough negative opinions here, to stop me from buying. Does sound like a cool light though.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
B,
I carry a LM Charge Ti also with a Peak Baltic with SSC LED in the side pocket. Have no idea how you stuffed a much larger minimag 2AAA inside though. I used to have a Baltic stainless steel with 2AAA body and optional momentary switch. It worked very well but is much too large for the small Charge Ti side pockets.
If you run NiMH rechargables, get the Baltic with SSC LED in the UP (ultrapower) output. It will give you an hour runtime and mine has taken a beating and still works great.

basill

Newly Enlightened
B,
I carry a LM Charge Ti also with a Peak Baltic with SSC LED in the side pocket. Have no idea how you stuffed a much larger minimag 2AAA inside though. I used to have a Baltic stainless steel with 2AAA body and optional momentary switch. It worked very well but is much too large for the small Charge Ti side pockets.
If you run NiMH rechargables, get the Baltic with SSC LED in the UP (ultrapower) output. It will give you an hour runtime and mine has taken a beating and still works great.

The minimag sticks out quite a way and rests against the flap, you can grab and pull it out easily though, the L0D fits very snugly but is hard to remove.

B

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minimag sticks out quite a way and rests against the flap, you can grab and pull it out easily though, the L0D fits very snugly but is hard to remove.

B

The Baltic is easier to grip than the L0D, just slide your finger under the pocket and push the light up from the bottom. The slightly larger head than body is easy to grip and pull out. Good luck making your choice and keep us posted.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're willing to stick with a 1 AAA light...IMO,nothing beats an Arc AAA.
I only have the standard Arc AAA,not the Premium,but I really love this light.
Insanely tough,decently bright,and uses common AAA batteries.

basill

Newly Enlightened
I must admit I really like the idea of a flexible programmeable aaa, but the extreme was just too expensive.
Today I thought I`d get the kai one while I think a bit more its looks great value. Its out of stock now but I`ll see if I can back order one
OK so what about the LF2 then? This post has just appeared and there may be a LF2x imminent.
I think I will wait now and see if its true. If so I`ll very likely get one. Its great to have a new new toy.

Cheers,

B

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the form factor of the 2XAAA MiniMag, why not try the Terralux TLE-20 drop-in LED for the light? I had one for a few weeks and really liked it, but ended up giving it to a friend who carries a 2xAAA MiniMag on the job. I need to order another one soon. Big improvement over the stock incan bulb. Not the latest in technology or features or brightness, but you're only out $10-12 if you don't like it.

Last edited:

kooter

Enlightened
Liteflux LF2 Q5 will be available in about 2 weeks. I would say wait for that. I am. :thumbsup:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old EDC was always the Solitare and the AAA Minimag. I have been carrying the L0PSE for a year now as a Solitare replacement, and the past three months have been the Inova Bolt AAA and the Streamlight Stylus Pro.

I really really like the Stylus Pro, its a very bright light and carries with a pocket clip like the old Minimag, matter of fact, now that I think of it I bet the Stylus would be able to use the Minimag Clip, will have to try that. It has a clicky tailcap which if you like it is a plus, but it is a rather stiff one, but has a great momentary on too.

The Inova Bolt is a very nice light too with a twisty. Not as bright as ther Stylus, and a bit thicker. But, it has a superb rubber body which makes it nice for gripping with the teeth.

Either makes a good replacement for my/your old trusty friend the AAA Minimag.