Runtime in FENIX P3D/P2D

Confederate

Enlightened
On the older Fenix lights, rechageable batteries caused the light to burn too bright in lower modes. Did they in any way harm the flashlights or affect runtimes? I would think with the high output, the runtimes would be less, but I don't know for sure.

The new models don't have this problem. They work fine in all modes with rechargeables. I just don't want to harm my older models. Oh, and does the type of rechargeable have anything to do with the mode malfunction?

Thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P3D is the only one that works well with Li-Ion rechargeable batteries.

The P2D can't use 3.7v ones, but from what I've heard it works well with 3.0v rechargeable batteries.

It shouldn't harm the light but runtime will be affected(shorter).

meuge

Enlightened
On the older Fenix lights, rechageable batteries caused the light to burn too bright in lower modes. Did they in any way harm the flashlights or affect runtimes? I would think with the high output, the runtimes would be less, but I don't know for sure.

The new models don't have this problem. They work fine in all modes with rechargeables. I just don't want to harm my older models. Oh, and does the type of rechargeable have anything to do with the mode malfunction?

Thanks.
The Fenix P2D head accepts voltage up to about 3.4V(?)... anything higher means that you lose all the modes except turbo, until the voltage of the battery sags below the Vin of the circuit. It does burn brighter in the meantime, but I don't think the over-driving is severe enough to damage anything.

The fenix P3D can take up to 9V, so it works fine with rechargeables.

Of course, this is only with rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Fenix L1D/L2D/L1T/L2T models, which work with NiMH rechargeables work very well with rechargeables... much better than with alkaline cells.

Confederate

Enlightened
Dupe?? What do you mean dupe? Why I've never been duped on anything. Why I...oh...you mean dupe-li-cate.

Neeeeeeeeeeevvver mind!

Seriously, thanks to everyone for your responses. Anyway, as long as it doesn't hurt the cell, no worries. Though it doesn't make much sense using it when I could use a cheaper light that only has a high mode.

Ah, well. I'll throw it in with my emergency lights.