SF KX2 now dual-output!

I was just looking at SureFire's site for black KX2 pictures and noticed this in the description:

"Max Output: High - 60 lumens, Low - 3 lumens; Runtime: 100 hours"

They've also added a note above where "Add to cart" should be:

"NOTE: The new dual-output KX2 LED Head will be available for purchase in March 2008. Click here to find a dealer near you."

This sounds very cool, I was planning on getting one soon, but I might just hold off now. 3lm low sounds like it could be very handy for reading in the tent, or looking for something in a moving car without disturbing the driver's vision.

It looks like there's also a new KX1 with dual output, 45lm high and the same 3lm low.

Now I'm just wondering how I'm going to change modes with my clicky E2e :thinking:

Numbers

Enlightened
I just bought one too.
But now the E1L is looking interesting.
Wanting to know just how this switch works?
Down side is that this light is getting too long.

Last edited:

rtt

Enlightened
Great! Just what I wanted. I was in the process of determining what size resistors I would require to mod my E2L with a MClicy dual level switch. Now I can just purchase the head for $30.00 more and have two heads.:twothumbs

Numbers

Enlightened
Great! Just what I wanted. I was in the process of determining what size resistors I would require to mod my E2L with a MClicy dual level switch. Now I can just purchase the head for $30.00 more and have two heads.:twothumbs
$30?
The SF site says $66 even with discount it wont be $30, will it?
The switch will be interesting too, I never cared for the McClicky I have.

Numbers

Enlightened
I hope they are not done yet. It would be weird to update the KX1, KX2 in succession without getting around to the L4, L5, L2 and U2. It must be coming -- there will a lot of stuff to buy.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd assume it'd work like the interface of the new E1B: turn on once, high mode, then turn on again within 2 secs you get low mode. The two modes cycle with a 2 second limit and is usable with a clickie.

rtt

Enlightened
$30?
The SF site says $66 even with discount it wont be $30, will it?
The switch will be interesting too, I never cared for the McClicky I have.

I should have been more precise. I was specifying the delta cost between getting the dual McClicky switch which is around $35.00. So $66.00 minus $35.00 equals $31.00.

So it sounds like the multi-mode would be similar to Fenix. Either mode could be selected momentarily or locked on by selecting the mode and pressing harder to click it on?

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but hopefully low first.

Why would it matter? Once you start the cycle, it'd probably stay on the last level you left it at so which level it starts with would literally only be relevant for the very first few seconds of its use.

Unless you know more than I do and it does in fact reset its previous power level every time, in which case that would kill the appeal of the light for me as well as, I'm sure, quite a few followers of the kiss principle.

Of course, I haven't seen anywhere anything that'd suggest it is the case, nor have I read anything confirming my projection of what the interface could be on the website. I'm merely basing my view on the impression I acquired from reading the description of the light on sf.com.

Meh! Note: I kinda confused myself as I was typing and I'm a bit worried now that I won't like what I'll find out later... Bummer.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The KX1 and 2 circuits are in the head so we are probably looking at a regulated low 3 lumens, or PWM to achieve low.

Bill

Beastmaster

Enlightened
If SF maintains their standard of going high when you need it now - I'm thinking it's going to start on high first - then switchable to low.

Turn it off - goes back to high.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1L and E2L have updated specs about the dual output... I find it sad they entered the endless click multi-modes market! I like my E2L the way it is. 9h flat regulation with 1 level! The E1B was OK with multi-mode as long as they didn't touch the ExL...

Beastmaster

Enlightened
E1L and E2L have updated specs about the dual output... I find it sad they entered the endless click multi-modes market! I like my E2L the way it is. 9h flat regulation with 1 level! The E1B was OK with multi-mode as long as they didn't touch the ExL...
Heh. Makes my single mode heads like the KL4's and KL1's all the more valuable.

I'll still laugh if it doesn't work with RCR123a's.

-Steve

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I will hold my judgment till after the reviews of the dual-output heads. If it is really simple then we might have a winner here. Keep an open mind for now.

Bill

Lightguy27

Enlightened
With the KX1 and 2 coming standard on the E1 and E2L, would SF be developing a new E1B style clickie or just stick a simple L2 clickie on it. Because regular L4 style clikies would'nt work with the KX2, it not made for two modes even if the head is.

-Evan

Latest posts