Strange SureFire Hypocrisy in KL3 features list...?

mdocod

Flashaholic
I was just browsing around on SFs site and noticed something very strange on the KL3 features list...

Runtime: 19 lumens max output for 4.25 hours, followed by 4.75 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output
C3, D3, Z3 Runtime: 19.5 lumens max output for 7 hours, followed by 8 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output.

Farther down on the list:

Digital regulator circuitry ensures consistent light output for maximum duration, light output does not "drop off" like an unregulated LED

So they describe the light as dimming down over time, then say that it doesn't.

Anyone else see this as a bit odd?
I noticed similar Hypocrisy in some of the other LED descriptions...

This is not intended to be a bashing thread... just thought I would point this out, mostly just asking if anyone else has noticed this and thought it was strange.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hypocrisy is really an inflamatory word. Surefire obviously has never gotten around to updating the KL3 specs. Not much more to say about it, from my point of view and certainly not worth 100 posts or so.

Bill

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The features of a linear regulator usually include the principle of going into direct drive once the batteries are incapable of maintaining the regulation level. At that point, your output is at the mercy of your battery discharge curve. Most regulators do that so that you aren't left in the dark as you can't always keep track of how much charge is left in your lights' cells...

Personally, I don't find it strange, misleading nor hypocrite because maximum output is maintained for as long as the batteries are capable of it and during that period, the curve is flat. What you get beyond is simply residual battery power.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see where the description might lend itself to an interpretation that may seem as though the copy was inconsistent. kongfuchicken's description is spot on.

That TIR optic is very cool. The lux is surprisingly intense to the extent that it looks to be the product of lumens much greater than 19.5. Looks closer to 40 lu to me. Used in an interior white wall hunt it will walk right through an A2 w/ FiveMega Strion mod.

If you'd like I can send you my KL3 + 6P to drive around for a couple of weeks so you can make your own evaluation.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl3gen2.htm

the regulation of the KL3 is very good, especially for three years ago. The regulation is referring to the poor brightness maintainence that was common among those 3-AA, 3-AAA, and other CR123 lights that have poor regulation.

I see no hypocricy here. Just because Surefire doesn't do the whole "sudden death" kind of regulation doesn't make it hypocritical.