New pics at my Yahoo site...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://photos.yahoo.com/b90a

Click on "beams" and you'll see a bunch of beam shots i took at my Mom's place in Toulumne County, Cal...It's one of the few places I have access to that does not have any outside light contamination...Anyways, the pics were taken with the lights shown on a small cottage house from roughly 75 feet away...Although completely unscientific, it does show some differences...

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, that TigerLight sure is something. And upon close examination, it appears the power of the beams, at least for distance, indicates the Streamlight Scorpion is stronger than the SF 9AN, which is stronger than the ASP Triad and Brinkmann LX (about the same), both of which are stronger than the SF 6P...hmmm, may have to look up that TigerLight for best prices...

Too bad you didn't have an UltraStinger to compare this batch with as well.

Thanks for the unscientific, but most informative, pictures!

Wick

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to find it, but didn't someone post a link to the Tiger Light without pepper spray?

Joey

Newly Enlightened
Hey Dano,

What's the runtime of the Tigerlight? I couldn't find it on the websites. Do you think they're making an 8" version where you can attach or detach the pepper spray canister?

Joey

ToddM

Enlightened
That's pretty darn impressive for $135, and shines what looks to be a brighter and more white light than the M4. It would have been great to compare a ultrastinger in there as well.

There is a link on thier distributor page to a dealer in cali that lists the 8" non pepper spray model:
http://www.rahq.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_TigerLight_Flashlights_204.html

No idea on runtime though, but if it's got a good runtime it's certainly a contender. Since they are using nimh it well could have a great runtime. Since C size nimh's can be had up to 4800mah and if they are using D sized (hard to tell if it's C or D size body) they run all the way up to 9500mah.

Those beam shots alone IMO are proof that nimh cells CAN deliver the voltage/current needed to run high watt bulbs.

Joey

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've seen the 8" model, but it doesn't seem like the pepper spray can be attached or detached at will. If you could, then you can decide if you want the pepper spray or not and not have to buy two Tigerlights.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Oh it's that flashlight!
I'd always passed over it because of the spay thing that would not go down well here in the UK.

So some has a non-spray version?
Has there been a review or more comparisions?

Thanks

Al

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly, My Tigerlight is the NON-OC version, which i purchased from RAHQ.com...I did a post on the beast some time back, but here's the quick and dirty:

Lamp: VERY similar to a Streamlight SL series lamp/reflector assy.. My tests indicated it runs at approx. 13 watts @7.2 Volts.

Battery: it's a 6cell AA NiMH at 7.2 volts, actually I tested it and it came out to 7.8 volts (which doesn't make much sense). The pack itself is constructed into a triangular shape, with 6 cells and a triangular spacer.

--dan

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much was the Tigerlight? It looks like you can make a second set up batteries on your own. If the Tigerlight has a smartcharger....then i'm sure it is possible.

I wonder how it compares to an Ultrastinger. At 13watts, that's a lot of power!

Joey

Newly Enlightened
But what about the runtime Dano? Could you at least give us an idea even if you didn't test it scientifically. I mean it's an impressive light, but if it only lasts 20min. I'd rather stick with the US or Magcharger.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kalengkong:
for the surefire 9AN, do you use the 20 lumens or 140 lumens? thanks
cool pics!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TWENTY Lumens???

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 9AN has a 2nd bulb in the reflection that provides a reading/paperwork output for very close range illumination.

Dano,
Please can you give more info on the Tigerlight?

Thanks

Al

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an Ultrastinger on duty, andI'd have to say the TL is brighter than the US by a decent margin. I've had the TL over a month, now, and have only charged it once, BUT I haven't used it, much, either..But the lamp puts out a large amount of heat, and leaving the light on for the complete runtime would melt the polycarbonite lens...BUT I discovered that the glass lens from my Magcharger (do they still come w/glass lenses?) fits my TL...So maybe I'll leave it on and time it...As for a runtime theory, 13 watts at 7.2volts is about 1.8 amp/hrs, so depending on what the capacity of the NiMH AA cells used in the battery pack, runtime should be about 45 minutes to an hour...I would guesstimate real world run time at about 45 minutes...

--dan

Joey

Newly Enlightened
hmm... i'm curious why you don't use it as your duty light or use it more often in general? how tough is it?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont use it as a full time duty light, mainly because I don't have a holder for it (though it does fit well in a sap pocket on my pants)and it's a bit heavy. I have to lighten up my equipment, as I carry an average of 40 extra pounds of "stuff" while on duty (i.e. vest, uniform, gun belt, boots, etc). Even the US usually will stay in the radio car on most calls (I use a Stinger HP, that's on my belt)...

--dan

Joey

Newly Enlightened
thanks dano for all your replies. i'm wondering if the tigerlight outshines the US in terms of reach as well. I don't have an US and have been considering getting that or the tigerlight. or i might just save my money since I'm not an LEO and I already have a Magcharger and SL-20X with 35X bulb. do any of you guys think there's that big of a difference to warrant getting another light? i may just wait for the Surefire Hellfire instead.