'08 L1 or E1L

magic_elf

Banned
Now that the new '08 models are both stated to have 2 levels, the E1L seems to be better value for money.

L1
$135
10/65 Lumens
Twisty Switch

E1L
$99
3/45 Lumens
Clicky Switch

Will the L1 have a higher end or more effecient circuit, thus the higher price?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting....I am a huge fan of lights with multi-levels, they are way more useful in my opinion. I currently have been selling off the lights that don't have milti-levels as the ones that do are used so much more.

As for the price of the 2 lights above....I don't know. I guess its just personal preferance. I have had 2 of the Cree L1s and like them both. They did seem to have different beam profiles. One had a very distinced "Moon shaped" beam while the other has a more diffused beam with more spill. I just wish the LOW was lower.

Sounds like Surefire is stepping it up a bit as far as introducing more products. This is wonderful news! I have had almost every light surefire makes and was hoping more inovative products would be released soon. I know surefire puts a lot of R&D into their products and it shows, but some of the lights were just sceaming for an update.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L has new features as well - 3/60 lumens. Pretty nice. Still doesn't beat that E1B in my opinion. That sucker is NICE. Come to papa...

magic_elf

Banned
How does the E1B beat both the L1 and E1L btw?
You mean in terms of performance/features, or taste-wise in terms of design?

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder though, if you will be able to stick the new Dual Output KX2 head on a E1e/E1L body with a 3.7v RCR and have it run right? That might be interesting.

magicElf: Relax bro, just stated it was my opinion...

Last edited:

magic_elf

Banned
Err, relax about what btw? Did I come across as being annoyed in any way?
It was just a normal question as I'm confused about the difference between the L1 and E1L.

So, what makes the E1B better in your opinion?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black HA, higher high, low is still low enough, black HA, 2-way pocket clip, did I mention black HA? ;)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know where the two modes are controlled on the E2L? I'm assuming its done in the head, because the tailcap looks unchanged. Will it have a new KX designation, or just be an updated KX2?

Edit. Checked SureFire's website again. This is the new KX2, switching is in the head, and the head will be sold separately. :takeit:

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the current 1 level E2L with the KX2 head. While I don't like that much anymore click switched levels, the new 2 levels ExL probably have their place as general purpose lights... I still think they should keep the 1 level option, maybe at a lower price? :) All would have their place in parallel with the new E1B. I just hope my current KX2 won't ever break. ;) The thing I love the most with my current E2L is that it's bright enough and it will last forever on 1 set of batteries (9h is very long in my mind). I used my E2L in 2 camping trips, with a lot of use and I also played A LOT with it when I got it, all on the set of batteries that came with it.

[EDIT]Oh, also... The E1B doesn't deserve it's "Backup" name anymore with this E1L... 45 lumens on high is more than enough for most uses and 3 lumens low is much more backup than 5 lumens![/EDIT]

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I still think they should keep the 1 level option, maybe at a lower price? :) All would have their place in parallel with the new E1B.

That's a good idea, and I hope they do that as well. I'm excited for the two level head because it makes the E2L my ideal EDC light, but the original KX2 is excellent in its own way. I'm going to be keeping mine.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I think the idea here is that the L1 is surefire's "true" dual output light since it uses the two stage tailcap while the E1L (KX1) and E2L (KX2) are going to have UIs similar to that of the lumapower LM31/33 (click for low, click again for high, and third click is off). I don't think it would make too much sense to have 3 different single celled LED light all share the same switching aspects (dual stage switch). I think the idea is they want to keep the L1 the way it is, and test drive a multi mode clickie switch for the E1B/E1L/E2L.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the idea here is that the L1 is surefire's "true" dual output light since it uses the two stage tailcap while the E1L (KX1) and E2L (KX2) are going to have UIs similar to that of the lumapower LM31/33 (click for low, click again for high, and third click is off). I don't think it would make too much sense to have 3 different single celled LED light all share the same switching aspects (dual stage switch). I think the idea is they want to keep the L1 the way it is, and test drive a multi mode clickie switch for the E1B/E1L/E2L.

If you read the description of the E1B, the UI is click for high, click off then click again within 2 seconds for low. Fenix/Wolf-Eyes/etc like UI with a forward clicky.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Correct. I really doubt that SF will stray from the Forward Click/Momentary interface.

If you read the description of the E1B, the UI is click for high, click off then click again within 2 seconds for low. Fenix/Wolf-Eyes/etc like UI with a forward clicky.