• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Custom Composite Sleeve Service

fod

Newly Enlightened
Well, by popular demand, here is the

DSC01610.jpg

Custom Composite Sleeve Service

I think there was enough interest expressed in the feeler thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/187369 to have a go at a few.

What I am doing is permanently epoxying Carbon Fiber or Carbon Fiber/ Fiberglass hybrid, or basalt sleeving (NO Seams) onto a cylinder, resulting in a unique and durable finish.

It looks like this may be the next big thing in custom fishing rod construction. I have used it in the assembly of a couple of knives, and I will again in the future.

Black Sgian Dubh in Carbon Fiber:
DSC01563.jpg

Take down Tanto In Carbon Fiber/ Fiberglass hybrid

DSC01479.jpg

Materials:

Carbon Fiber. Black and cool

Basalt Fiber Has an interesting dark brown-walnut color.

Carbon Fiber /Fiberglass Hybrid in colors

There may be an additional charge and extra time required if the material needs to be ordered from my supplier.
Purple, pink, red, yellow, green, blue, orange, white, grey, are standard colors
I will also have olive drab, coyote brown and foliage green.

Costs:

Cost will be a basic 55 which takes care of applying this coating to one flashlight body using up to 1 foot of sleeving, and return postage. (sleeve length is the length of the light body plus 4 inches) This cost does not include finish coats or dealing with male threaded ends. Without the top coat the sleeving has a bit of a texture from the cloth. It may be the right thing for some.

Extras are as follows:
External Threaded ends: $10 for prepping and finishing (male) threaded end(s) No charge for internal threaded (female) ends.
Finish Coat: $5 for a shiny urethane or clear epoxy coating.
Extra foot of sleeving: $7
For instance: a 3D maglite would be 55 plus 10 (for one external threaded end) and $5 for clear coating for a total of 70, which includes return shipping and materials, in the US

Inova done with plain carbon fiber. This is what the sleeve looks like with no top coat.

DSC01607.jpg

DSC01526.jpg

This light is for sale for $50 as is an oldie but goodie, updated. Clear glossy top coating available for an additional $5

3D maglite tube with hybrid Carbon Fiber/ Fiberglass sleeve:
No Topcoat:
DSC01699.jpg

With top coat:
DSC01705.jpg

This 3D mag tube is available for sale at $50. It is stripped and has not switch, tail, head, etc.

These are some sleeves from my original idea, to offer premeade tubes for certain lights:

DSC01714.jpg

DSC01716.jpg

I have three pieces of epoxied tubing (1.25" 1.5", 4") if someone wants them, they fit loosely on a surefire 6P/9P. Cuts with a sharp knife or scissors...$15 shipped for all three bits.

email me at : [email protected] to discuss your specific needs.

Thanks for looking.

-Todd

PS, look for flashlight holsters soon using this same type of construction...I'm working on it. and the knives will be for sale soon, Em me of you have any interest.

PPS, This is my first offering here, so go gentle with me:grin2:... just correct me and I learn quick.

EDIT:
Please Note:
The sleeve adds about .030"-.040" (1/32"+, 1mm) to the wall of the tube, 1/16"/2mm to the diameter. This means that the maglite head will no longer screw past o-ring groove due to this, The maglite head length or ID would need to be modified to accomplish this. My Five Mega finned head fits just great, I'll post a pic after the epoxy cures.

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, let's start with this:

PPS, This is my first offering here, so go gentle with me:grin2:... just correct me and I learn quick.

Should be that you learn quickly. :devil:

AKA, a free bump.

fod

Newly Enlightened
:wave:Hey there...if you can think of a better way....

:sssh:

let me know

;)

-Thanks for the bump!

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks to be an excellent alternative to anodized coatings for worn light bodies.

fod

Newly Enlightened
Adam, you are right. I should have taken a "before" pic, the maglite was pretty beat up.
-Todd

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I might be interested in owning a D mag with the CF treatment but would be interested to know how if fits around the switch first. The more pictures the better as I condition my brain to this idea.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

fod

Newly Enlightened
Here is a couple pics, hope they help. I still need to put a finish coat on the tube, esp. around the switch area and ends, esp. where I needed to finish working on it. The sleeve adds about .030" to .040" to the wall. Because the rubber switch cover engages the inside of the hole, the button is just recessed. Won't effect operation, but the touch will differ.

DSC01723.jpg

DSC01720.jpg